Nuge - Drai - Yams
Benson - Haas - Chiasson
Archibald - Sheahan - Kassian
Gagner - Cave - Russell

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
With McNeal out, this is the right call.

Right now, there's two lines I like...

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Archibald-Sheahan-Kassian

Of the bodies that remain, it makes sense to have one "offence" line...

Benson-Haas-Gagner

... And one defensive/grind line

Khaira-Cave-Chiasson, with a side of PRussell...

Can one of the 3 missing regulars (McDavid, Neal, Nygård) please hurry back?...

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Nuge - Drai - Yams
Benson - Haas - Chiasson
Gagner - Cave - Russell

That looks like one 1st line, a pretty nice 3rd/4th "energy" line (Kass/Sheahan), and a whole lot of yikes! Worst bottom 9 in the leauge?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Nuge - Drai - Yams
Benson - Haas - Chiasson
Gagner - Cave - Russell

Second line looked good in Chicago

Those are the same lines that I posted, just with the 2nd and 3rd lines swapped around.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
You think he's going to sustain an on ice PDO of 110?

I guess with McDavid's injury he'll have to deal with more shut-down lines going forward - so probably not. But I don't imagine that the regression will be as dramatic as you're implying. The guy plays an NHL game - it's not like he's just been getting lucky or riding his line mates coat tails or something.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
That’s got to be the worst bottom 9 in the league. Sweet baby Jesus let that first line carry us for the next 9 games.

I think we have potential for 2 our of 4 lines to be very good:
Nuge/Drai/Yammo - great line
Archi/Sheahan/Kass - could be a great playoff line.

The other two lines are hot garbage in all honesty, reguardless of how we configure them.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
giphy.gif

"Guess who's back"

I find the recall weird to be honest. I dont think the coach trusts Benson (whether hes right or not I dont know). Should of just recalled Granlund imo.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I find the recall weird to be honest. I dont think the coach trusts Benson (whether hes right or not I dont know). Should of just recalled Granlund imo.

Maybe the recall is just in case they want to split up Draisaitl/RNH on the road. You could put Benson with RNH while Draisaitl/Yamamoto take the hard matchup.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Yeah... my order: Granlund, Currie Or McLeod, Gambs, THEN Benson. Benson is too slow for the NHL. His skating isn't on par.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Benson is a perfect example why you can have all the skill in the world, but if you can't skate properly it can really hold you back.

He skates too upright with a short stride. Sure he moves his legs fast, but that is not good enough. He better get some pro seasons in a hurry or else he will be passed by.

Kind of a little like Lucic, except Lucic has a really short skating stride and he does not move his legs that fast anymore.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah... my order: Granlund, Currie Or McLeod, Gambs, THEN Benson. Benson is too slow for the NHL. His skating isn't on par.

I'm not even going to comment on his skating because honestly I think he wasnt given enough opportunity to even get a real analysis of his game. My point is just more that the coach doesnt feel comfortable using him (whether hes right or wrong doesnt really matter), so you might as well recall someone hes more comfortable with.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I wouldn't mind trying him with Haas and Chiasson. I think it makes the most sense to slot him in for Gagner if they're going to play him. Russell and Khaira serve a purpose defensively and on the PK at the moment, so I wouldn't take them out.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Benson is a perfect example why you can have all the skill in the world, but if you can't skate properly it can really hold you back.

He skates too upright with a short stride. Sure he moves his legs fast, but that is not good enough. He better get some pro seasons in a hurry or else he will be passed by.

Kind of a little like Lucic, except Lucic has a really short skating stride and he does not move his legs that fast anymore.
You got all that from 10 minutes total ice time in 2 games bravo.

Reactions: Samus44 and 3IR

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'd like to see what Benson can do at the NHL level and these games sans McDavid are certainly a good test of all players... nevermind a green rookie with less than 15 minutes of career TOI.

If he shows well in this trial by fire... he's likely the real deal... if not, well he can go back down and one of Granlund/Currie/Gambardella can come up and see how they pan out.

Granlund I'm actually curious about... I always viewed him as more of a #13F type guy on an NHL roster but I think he's a little better than just a guy to be stuck in the AHL... so hopefully this served as a kick in the butt and he's ready to up his game at the NHL level again.

Hopefully the "real" Granlund shows up when he's called up... not the one that played with so much indifference earlier in the year.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I'd like to see what Benson can do at the NHL level and these games sans McDavid are certainly a good test of all players... nevermind a green rookie with less than 15 minutes of career TOI.

If he shows well in this trial by fire... he's likely the real deal... if not, well he can go back down and one of Granlund/Currie/Gambardella can come up and see how they pan out.

Granlund I'm actually curious about... I always viewed him as more of a #13F type guy on an NHL roster but I think he's a little better than just a guy to be stuck in the AHL... so hopefully this served as a kick in the butt and he's ready to up his game at the NHL level again.

Hopefully the "real" Granlund shows up when he's called up... not the one that played with so much indifference earlier in the year.

He'd be up if he were healthy.

To me, I have to really rethink my own evaluation, because this call up means they do trust Benson more than Gambardella, Malone, or Currie, and thats a big deal. I think the trust level with the coaches and organization is higher than I thought it was. Perhaps I've been overly critical of his play.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
While Boston does have a great first line, their bottom 9 is miles ahead of ours and can win them games on a regular basis...
Outside of maybe one player I don’t think their bottom 9 are even top 100 in goals or points. I wouldn’t say they could win them games. The bruins have two fantastic goalies. For the first half of the year Rask and Halak were top 5 goalies. Haven’t checked lately. Guarantee you take away their top line and goalies and they are a bottom feeding team. I’m not saying their bottom 9 are scrubs, but they aren’t “miles ahead” of us.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Outside of maybe one player I don’t think their bottom 9 are even top 100 in goals or points. I wouldn’t say they could win them games. The bruins have two fantastic goalies. For the first half of the year Rask and Halak were top 5 goalies. Haven’t checked lately. Guarantee you take away their top line and goalies and they are a bottom feeding team. I’m not saying their bottom 9 are scrubs, but they aren’t “miles ahead” of us.

If you take away any teams top 3 forwards and starting goalie they would be a bottom feeding team.. and yes with the likes of Krejci, Debrusk, and Coyle they bottom 9 forwards are far ahead of ours

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
My guess is you see Benson in a sheltered role with Haas and Chiasson or Gagner.

Drai's line will see a ton of minutes, Sheahan and archi the next most, then depending on how the games going we could see more of Khairas line or Haas line.

RNH Drai Yam
Archi Sheahan Kass
Russell Cave Khaira
Benson Haas Chiasson

Would be my baseless guess for next game. If we take an early lead, Benson and Haas see 10+ minutes, if not the coach stick with who he "trusts" in the russell cave khaira line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad