Player Discussion Tyler Benson

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
After last nights game maybe I change my mind. I still don’t think the bruins bottom 9 are any good.

Really? In the last 10 years, David Krejci has either put up 60+ points, or been on that pace in injury shortened seasons 9 of those 10 years. The year he didn’t, he still put up 54. That’s a quality 2C. Jake Debrusk is still young and paces around 50 points. Coyle is good for 40-50 points. That’s a solid 2nd line, especially when you have their 1st line.

Reactions: Dempsey and Aerchon

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Really? In the last 10 years, David Krejci has either put up 60+ points, or been on that pace in injury shortened seasons 9 of those 10 years. The year he didn’t, he still put up 54. That’s a quality 2C. Jake Debrusk is still young and paces around 50 points. Coyle is good for 40-50 points. That’s a solid 2nd line, especially when you have their 1st line.
I mentioned earlier with the exception of Krejci. People think our bottom 9 are so much worse and I don’t think that’s true. Bruins is nothing to gloat about.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Benson had a noticeably better game. Less nervous, fewer unforced giveaways (I counted 2?) and earned the trust of his coach as the game wore on.

Fantastic touch by Tippett to play him on our “2nd” line with Sheahan and Archi, 2 defensively responsible hard working players who keep the puck in the opponents end.

He can get on a bit of roll with this line he could earn his way into the lineup in place of Nygard on this line.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I mentioned earlier with the exception of Krejci. People think our bottom 9 are so much worse and I don’t think that’s true. Bruins is nothing to gloat about.

I agree the Oilers team/bottom 9 is better than the vast majority on this board credit but Boston has a better bottom 9 than us.

Reactions: tardigrade81

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I agree the Oilers team/bottom 9 is better than the vast majority on this board credit but Boston has a better bottom 9 than us.
Our bottom 9 is pretty AHLish.
There really isn't much good about the 3 lines we iced since McInjury

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Meh fair enough. Last I looked though, outside of Krejci I couldn’t find anyone else in their bottom 9 in the first 100 players in points or goals. But I didn’t check much after that to compare ours to theirs.

Reactions: Aerchon

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Benson had a decent afternoon! Love that he drove the net hard, and that he was out there when Florida pulled the goalie. Great coaching by Tippett, Benson is starting to get comfortable!
Tippet knows how to ease guys in and give them a chance to succeed while still being focused on winning. Sometimes it seems harsh like with Haas but its done for the benefit of the team and player. He really is an outstanding coach.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He made a couple all right plays, and he is bound to improve at least a bit when the nerves calm down and he gets acclimated to the speed.

I just don't see him being any more than a 4th liner. His skating is quite poor and he's not strong on the puck at all. Perhaps after another year of training he can work on his quickness and strength similarly to Yamamoto. They seem to have the same issues. Smaller bodies, relatively slower than a lot of guys in the league, and seemingly weak on the puck (so far).

He won't become anything of a producer until he drastically improves these two areas of his game. Hopefully we see a Yamamotoian (lol) improvement over the summer with him. He has some potential.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
He made a couple all right plays, and he is bound to improve at least a bit when the nerves calm down and he gets acclimated to the speed.

I just don't see him being any more than a 4th liner. His skating is quite poor and he's not strong on the puck at all. Perhaps after another year of training he can work on his quickness and strength similarly to Yamamoto. They seem to have the same issues. Smaller bodies, relatively slower than a lot of guys in the league, and seemingly weak on the puck (so far).

He won't become anything of a producer until he drastically improves these two areas of his game. Hopefully we see a Yamamotoian (lol) improvement over the summer with him. He has some potential.
Benson is 6ft 190lbs so not smallish like Yam. Also it looks like his skating is near fast as Yam.
I like the way he did with Sheahan and Archibald. If he can continually improve on this line he might be useful with Kassian and McDavid.

Yes I am wearing Oiler coloured glasses.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Are you referring to Yamamota with the bolded? If so, are you serious? The guy is an absolute puck hound who gets in there with quickness and tenacity and wins way more puck battles than he loses.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Are you referring to Yamamota with the bolded? If so, are you serious? The guy is an absolute puck hound who gets in there with quickness and tenacity and wins way more puck battles than he loses.
No, I was referring to Benson currently, and Yamamoto last year.

I agree, Yamamoto has somehow transformed himself into one of the best forecheckers in the entire NHL. I want Benson to improve in those same areas Yams improved in over the last year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I dont think the improvement is coming literally from better skating learned in an offseason

Its understanding the flow of the NHL game and knowing where to be. You can look alot quicker and better skating if you are in the right places

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I dont think the improvement is coming literally from better skating learned in an offseason

Its understanding the flow of the NHL game and knowing where to be. You can look alot quicker and better skating if you are in the right places

People who didn't like a player often like to pretend that a guy made a dramatic improvement to justify their previously awful takes. Yamamoto's the same guy, just a bit more experience (as you alluded to) and developed physically to go with a fixed wrist. Heck this was his scouting report for his draft season (this guy should be proud as it's bang on).

"A pint-sized, yet dynamic, playmaker… small, speedy forward with excellent hockey sense and quick hands…has a strong work ethic that keeps him going…great overall quickness, first-step jump to create separation and an ability to alter speeds to create gaps…sneaky and stealth-like in finding prime scoring ice…very creative with the puck and shows off creative hands…uses his size to squeak through the tightest of holes…is a force in possession as he likes the puck on his stick, and is dangerous as a set-up man or shooter in the offensive zone…poised, clutch and aware…feisty on the forecheck, not physically, but uses his speed to force opponents into rushed plays while clogging up passing lanes with an active stick…one of those rare wingers who has the ability to affect the flow of a game like a center…a very special talent, high octane and cerebral." - Future Considerations.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Benson is going to be a player, you can feel it. He is able to make things happen himself and look dynamic. Will it be as a gamebreaking top 6 player, or complimentary top 6, or creative depth player? who knows right now. But I get the feeling of a gamer

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I really don't see the same player you do. His skating has improved a fair bit to the point where I don't see it as a weakness even if it is not an asset. But he is definitely not weak on the puck. In fact that is one of his strengths.

Now is he a sure fire top six forward? He has the skill and smarts I believe to be a solid complementary top 6 winger. But what I actually like about him is that he can be a very good bottom six player as well.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Benson is going to be a player, you can feel it. He is able to make things happen himself and look dynamic. Will it be as a gamebreaking top 6 player, or complimentary top 6, or creative depth player? who knows right now. But I get the feeling of a gamer
I see a complimentary top 6 forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad