Player Discussion Tyler Benson

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Idk what his ceiling is, but he was playing well away from the puck as well as making some impressive passing plays all night. Just needs to improve his skating a little and work on his finishing ability.

pratt

Oct 8, 2019
Edmonton
Something our farm system seems to be doing incredibly well is teaching the boys to play away from the puck.
It’s starting to look like we might have one of those situations where a bunch of players from the farm team force their way onto the main team and actually improve it. Really hope so! You could already see Benson and Jones strategizing before that one offensive face off. That has to be from being comfortable and playing together in the A.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It’s starting to look like we might have one of those situations where a bunch of players from the farm team force their way onto the main team and actually improve it. Really hope so! You could already see Benson and Jones strategizing before that one offensive face off. That has to be from being comfortable and playing together in the A.
I could see Bouchard next year and McLeod getting some spot duty as well

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Something our farm system seems to be doing incredibly well is teaching the boys to play away from the puck.
Condors were the among the best (I think the best IIRC) in Corsi and expected goals, all the graduates were play-driving beasts down there.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Imagine how amazing it would be to only have 2 forward prospects of note playing in the AHL, basically all of whom the rest of the hockey world either doesn't think highly of or has written off, only for both of them to turn into legit top 9 players when we need it most?

After all the years of missed picks, especially forwards, this could be something that's been a long time coming.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Looks pretty slow to me. Good positional player and nice pass today though. Seems skating can be greatly improved these days, but looks like he'll have average speed at best. Hope I'm wrong.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Looks pretty slow to me. Good positional player and nice pass today though. Seems skating can be greatly improved these days, but looks like he'll have average speed at best. Hope I'm wrong.

You know who else had average speed? Yamamoto

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Benson looked much better today. Solid decision to play him with Archibald and Sheahan.
Looks like Tippett knew what he was doing.

Interesting how this team finally has a farm team doing what its supposed to do...develop players properly by leaving them in the AHL until they are actually ready.
Looking forward to see Bouchard next season.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
You know who else had average speed? Yamamoto
That was never true, he was always fast. Maybe he wasn't as fast as he needed to be given his size but he's always been quick and played a high tempo game. Benson plays a slow game and is almost a completely opposite player, i don't see them as comparable. Not that i don't get your point.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Use Benson as a poor man's Adam Oates on the wing.

He has elite skill, particularly for passing. Literally zero doubt there.

Like Yamamoto, he'll have to carve a name for himself.

Could he be like a Handzus?

He'll be the type of player where once every 10 games you'll be refreshing twitter to see a replay for his craziness but otherwise he'll be just over replacement player.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
One could have already seen in the game against the Panthers that he was trying to get some sick passes going. The timing was a bit off though which I blame on the lack of games he played in the NHL. This time on the goal on Archie he timed it correctly. It was a nice hard pass right onto the stick.

Funny, how he fell down first out of nowhere. He recovered really nice after that. In general, he is falling a lot but that will go away too once he realizes how to engage in board battles.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Can't imagine how gratifying it is to get that feeling of being able to make an impact on an NHL team, after everything that Benson has fought through to get here.

Reactions: Kolja

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't agree with anyone saying Benson looked slow. He won several foot races today and was quick enough on the forecheck to cause some turnovers. Speed will never be his game, but it also doesn't look like it's holding him back. As he's settled in he's handling pucks better, making a lot of good passes, and had a really good game. Looked like a middle 6 winger today and fit well with Sheahan and Archibald. Find McDavid another winger to play with Kass and our top 9 could be set. Could be a bit of a log jam when everyone's healthy if Benson keeps progressing.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Someone grabbed that puck for his first point right? I didn't see anyone go grab it after the goal.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maybe not breakneck straightaway speed, but very quick.

Yamamotos first few strides are very quick.
He is lightning fast getting from the centre of the ice to the side boards to keep the play alive.
Catches opposing players by surprise all the time and he gets inside their equipment before they have processed their next move.
His tenacity on pucks is a joy to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad