Player Discussion Tyler Benson

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
A few more.

Just something a bit off with Benson so far and he needs to get past the idolizing and pinching himself stage. His comments after the Sharks game isn't necessarily what you want to hear. He talks about how surreal it is looking across at Patty Marleau and Thornton. Mentions he has lots of support with 20 family, friends cheering him on.

That's nice and all but it doesn't speak to inner confidence of a player being totally ready, mentally, to be in the show. if your confidence is nailed on you're not thinking about 20 people in the stands cheering you on, you're thinking about you're here, you deserve it, and you're going to show the team your hand. Just like Draisaitl did, just like Bear did, just like Yama has been doing. With the latter Yama translated his excitement into energy, intensity, rabid puck pursuit. Good for him. Show your hand.

Tippett said Benson had a s0-so first game. lumped it in with the bad performance by the club. Benson said he was playing safe. That speaks to possible trepidation as well.

Theres also a comment that Benson's Center, Haas, an accomplished pro player got only 2mins in his first NHL game. Benson got almost 10mins, and didn't look good in those minutes.

When asked what was most memorable about your first NHL game Benson's answer is actually listening to the National anthem. He actually said that. A lot of players would be talking about a scoring chance, or maybe even a goal or point in their first game. Benson was talking about a non hockey moment in a game he did nothing in.
:rolleyes: Dude this is real life, he's a real person not a programmed robot. He's playing for his hometown team against divisional rivals Thornton and Marleau who've been lighting it up his entire life, of course it's surreal. I've heard lots of guys talk about being awe struck away the first time they faced Gretzky. Media quotes generally offer very little insight into the complexity, thoughts, or drive of a person. It's a provoked snippet of someones thought process not something that defines who they are. He's a guy who's succeeded at every level he's played at while dedicating his life to hockey, he's got plenty of drive and self belief. The NHL is hard, it's a big leap and it's tough to find a rhythm playing so sporadically. He'll almost certainly be better in a bigger opportunity having had this experience. It's normal.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Paste Neal on the PP and paste Khaira on the PK and limit their minutes at evens to as few as possible... win-win for the team.
Make a "3rd" line, who got the least miniutes, with Khaira Haas (Tippet dont like him anyways) Neal. Ice them 5 min in EV 5 v 5. Let Haas , Khaira PK. Neal get his PP. Why not try Haas on PP2?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
:rolleyes: Dude this is real life, he's a real person not a programmed robot. He's playing for his hometown team against divisional rivals Thornton and Marleau who've been lighting it up his entire life, of course it's surreal. I've heard lots of guys talk about being awe struck away the first time they faced Gretzky. Media quotes generally offer very little insight into the complexity, thoughts, or drive of a person. It's a provoked snippet of someones thought process not something that defines who they are. He's a guy who's succeeded at every level he's played at while dedicating his life to hockey, he's got plenty of drive and self belief. The NHL is hard, it's a big leap and it's tough to find a rhythm playing so sporadically. He'll almost certainly be better in a bigger opportunity having had this experience. It's normal.

All I'm saying is its conventional wisdom that you have to move very quickly from such worship of opponents and pinching yourself to accepting you are actually playing against them and worthy of such. you also have to move very quickly away from being overtly nervous about the prospect.

Besides which you are stating platitudes with the bolded as much as I am. That applies to every player that has success in the AHL. The NHL is a different beast.

We're talking about a player that didn't even "find a rhythm" in prospects, TC, or Exhibition season. I don't take one piece of information in isolation. Benson is near 22 and he hasn't yet showed any evidence of being able to slow the game down at this level. He's had plenty of opportunity each preseason and offseason to better prepare for the NHL reality.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
All I'm saying is its conventional wisdom that you have to move very quickly from such worship of opponents and pinching yourself to accepting you are actually playing against them and worthy of such. you also have to move very quickly away from being overtly nervous about the prospect.

Besides which you are stating platitudes with the bolded as much as I am. That applies to every player that has success in the AHL. The NHL is a different beast.

We're talking about a player that didn't even "find a rhythm" in prospects, TC, or Exhibition season. I don't take one piece of information in isolation. Benson is near 22 and he hasn't yet showed any evidence of being able to slow the game down at this level. He's had plenty of opportunity each preseason and offseason to better prepare for the NHL reality.
And all i'm saying is you have no idea about what he was thinking based on one quote. Also he got very little opportunity this training camp, i have no idea how one could argue otherwise. He's in his 21 year old season, he's a 2nd rounder, it's normal. He may not make it but that doesn't mean it's reasonable to criticize a guy and suggest you've got proof of anything based on that quote.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And all i'm saying is you have no idea about what he was thinking based on one quote. Also he got very little opportunity this training camp, i have no idea how one could argue otherwise. He's in his 21 year old season, he's a 2nd rounder, it's normal. He may not make it but that doesn't mean it's reasonable to criticize a guy and suggest you've got proof of anything based on that quote.
I never suggested anything of the kind. you apparently read it that way. Its discussion, on a discussion board, and was clearly framed as speculation.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
With Neal out, I think, and McDavid as well I think HE should be recalled again.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Benson/Gambardella/Currie (and even Marody imo but that's not a commonly held opinion I realize) should all have shots in the lineup... just rotate and keep the good 'uns.

There's gold in them thar hills of Bako... just have to prospect around a bit to find it.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I would probably just leave him in Bako even with the McDavid injury. The coach doesnt feel comfortable playing him whether its valid or not, I dont know. I would call up Granlund.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hahaha, I hope not.....but we might as well trade nudge, nurse, and drai for picks ? Just kidding....I think....

Call me an eternal optimist but I see some positives coming out of this.
I am willing to bet that the team will be executing the system with a new level of commitment.

I am hoping we will see a very determined and committed group of players for the next 2 weeks.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I never suggested anything of the kind. you apparently read it that way. Its discussion, on a discussion board, and was clearly framed as speculation.

Why speculate so much on something so innocuous? To make any of the broad "speculations" that you did from that quote is preposterous. I just don't get the value in perceiving that a minor quote could be proof that he lacks mental fortitude. I respect you but your thinking on this honestly makes no sense to me, it's such a wildly assumptive conclusion to even ponder.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why speculate so much on something so innocuous? To make any of the broad "speculations" that you did from that quote is preposterous. I just don't get the value in perceiving that a minor quote could be proof that he lacks mental fortitude. I respect you but your thinking on this honestly makes no sense to me, it's such a wildly assumptive conclusion to even ponder.

We all have our moments. Benson really could work on his statements though. Not like I'm singling it out in isolation. Since he was 15 he says things like surreal, anxious, nervous. More of a pet peeve than anything how he words things I guess. But the team and other beat reporters have mentioned nerves in relation to the player as well. just saying. I do think he has the yips, but without more its jmo

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Call me an eternal optimist but I see some positives coming out of this.
I am willing to bet that the team will be executing the system with a new level of commitment.

I am hoping we will see a very determined and committed group of players for the next 2 weeks.

I'm with ya, in spirit. Teams usually rally and play well when something like this happens. I cant see it lasting.

I'm afraid we just became sellers at deadline.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
giphy.gif

"Guess who's back"

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Talk about a golden opportunity to step up. Not sure who he’s going to play with since our top line is insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad