Player Discussion Tyler Benson

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Gosh, what he looked slow... slowfooted but has the smart. I wonder what will be the final product of this player.
If he just work on the speed, he will be a player

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Nope ....for Benson to work he needs the proper centre...
Benson's a playmaker, his goal scoring not that great even at the AHL level, he needs a centre that has hands ....and probably the RW guy needs to be an opportunist....like Archie but better more consistent..
Benson needs to go back to the Ahl and work now and all summer on his skating ...he will make the team out of camp next year ...Holland needs to buy the center for him...

Ottawa has a centre that would work....Tierney...
Maybe Zacha from Jersey would work too ....less sure here...

Benson Tierney Neal....

Helps Neal too ...as he wont be facing top checking lines .....his dismal play 5 on 5 would improve greatly...
Lets overpay for Tierney now and let Ottawa resign Pageau now instead of renting him out and resigning him in the summer...

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
He should really follow Bear's example. He put in a great offseason of hard work and training and it paid off.

If Benson can improve his skating + speed I think we have another 2nd line winger on our hands. He has great vision, a nice shot, and he's solid defensively, but he still looks a little slow. An offseason of training will go a long way.

Although seeing Oilers like Draisaitl and Bear improve their skating the way they did, I have full faith that Benson will too.

Reactions: McDavidMasterRace

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
His IQ with McDavid might be a great matchup. Having a guy with his passing abilities finding McDavid in space could be scary. Another solid 2way guy with extra elements to his game. Yamamoto, Bear, Jones and now Benson.

The pipeline from Bakersfield is starting to produce big time.

Reactions: Samus44

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
His IQ with McDavid might be a great matchup. Having a guy with his passing abilities finding McDavid in space could be scary. Another solid 2way guy with extra elements to his game. Yamamoto, Bear, Jones and now Benson.

Unfortunately we took all their offense and now the pipeline needs to be replenished.

Reactions: ImmuneEH

OilersSnowFan

Aug 27, 2019
penticton
globalnews.ca
He should really follow Bear's example. He put in a great offseason of hard work and training and it paid off.

If Benson can improve his skating + speed I think we have another 2nd line winger on our hands. He has great vision, a nice shot, and he's solid defensively, but he still looks a little slow. An offseason of training will go a long way.

Although seeing Oilers like Draisaitl and Bear improve their skating the way they did, I have full faith that Benson will too.

Which is funny because bear followed Benson example and stayed in Edmonton for the summer training

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Needs to get introduced to Gary Roberts...

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Needs to get introduced to Gary Roberts...
These guys all have their personal trainers & what have you.All very accomplished. Roberts in particular is no miracle worker (Im sure he has trained all sorts of guys that he hasn't performed miracles on). Furthermore Roberts isn't a skating coach.

Reactions: frag2

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Even in such a short sample you can see the confidence growing for him from game to game so far. The fact that Tippett had him out in the last two minutes in close games is a really good sign.

If the confidence continues to grow and he can improve his skating even marginally he will be a fixture in the top 9 going forward.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Even in such a short sample you can see the confidence growing for him from game to game so far. The fact that Tippett had him out in the last two minutes in close games is a really good sign.

If the confidence continues to grow and he can improve his skating even marginally he will be a fixture in the top 9 going forward.
This is one of my favourite things I see from Tippett. If you are having a very good game, you will get the ice when it matters. Jones out in the last 2 minutes against the Bolts, Yamamoto in his first game. He makes these guys earn it, but if they show him what they need to, he gives them the ice.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
This is one of my favourite things I see from Tippett. If you are having a very good game, you will get the ice when it matters. Jones out in the last 2 minutes against the Bolts, Yamamoto in his first game. He makes these guys earn it, but if they show him what they need to, he gives them the ice.

Which makes it all the more perplexing what Persson did to warrant being sent down (and why Khaira is here over Currie or Gambardella).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Which makes it all the more perplexing what Persson did to warrant being sent down (and why Khaira is here over Currie or Gambardella).
Khaira's here because he's still an elite PKer and there's more player there, even despite the disaster he's been. Persson makes perfect sense. They sent him down to work on his game, and other prospects passed him. I think he'll get recalled, but I don't have problem with the Oilers defense right now.

Reactions: oilynutz

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's not too hard to assess players on the PK... look at the GA/60.

The whole point of the PK is not letting goals in so it's pretty one-dimensional and not too complex.. of course just like anything else there is reliance on your teammates/goalie as well... but let's look at the top 155 PK forwards in the NHL in PK TOI (works out to 5 players x 31 teams)...

In that group (greater than 50 minutes of ice time on the PK)...

Khaira is #4 in the NHL with 2.18 GA/60.

Sure that's also due to goaltending and those he's out there on the PK with... but that's a very solid number and I give him full credit as the team simply doesn't get scored on when he's out there on the PK... which is the whole point of the PK. I'll continue to crap on him at evens... but on the PK he's having an elite season and is a definite positive reason for why this team has a top 5 PK which is helping them win games..

Reactions: Aerchon

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Yeah i've always thought those two would work well together. Benson is smart enough and can make all the passes and McDavid's speed can create room for him to work. I don't think it's speed you need to be a good fit as McDavid's primary winger, i think it's hockey sense and the ability to get him the puck.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Apologize for reviving a thread that is a few months old but trying to get a feel for a player I didn't see this past season.

He had a bit of a taste of the NHL this year with the Oilers in February (but in limited minutes) and his numbers with Bakersfield took a drop after an encouraging first pro season.

Was this just an understandable bump in the development of a 21-year-old in pro hockey ? What is the long-term potential for him?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Apologize for reviving a thread that is a few months old but trying to get a feel for a player I didn't see this past season.

He had a bit of a taste of the NHL this year with the Oilers in February (but in limited minutes) and his numbers with Bakersfield took a drop after an encouraging first pro season.

Was this just an understandable bump in the development of a 21-year-old in pro hockey ? What is the long-term potential for him?
His AHL numbers have more to do with the team being worse and marody forgetting to play hockey

Reactions: MessierII

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Just curious since you've bumped a few prospect conversations. Are you doing articles about these players?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

A disapointing season for him forsure. Still has top 6 potential but realistically he projects as a playmaking complimentary winger that can be used up an down the lineup. I fear his lack of finish/goal scoring will keep him from amounting to too much at the nhl level.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
A disapointing season for him forsure. Still has top 6 potential but realistically he projects as a playmaking complimentary winger that can be used up an down the lineup. I fear his lack of finish/goal scoring will keep him from amounting to too much at the nhl level.
He reminds me of Yamamoto first couple of pro years and everyone panicking he's a bust after he looked meh in the NHL... relax people

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Just curious since you've bumped a few prospect conversations. Are you doing articles about these players?

No. I wish I was. Used to do the bios and cover Nashville and Winnipeg as well as overflow articles for HockeysFuture when we were still doing the pages.

Have been coaching youth hockey and doing a "day job" since but with things shut down here I'm trying to get back up to speed on prospects and the player pools for each team.

Using the 2013 NHL Draft and then our last Top 20 articles as a starting point.

It is amazing how much things change in four year's time. And also interesting to see how both our projections — and the respective clubs' scouting departments — worked out.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
What's new with Benson? Seems like he has been putting up strong performances across the Swiss league and AHL this year. Is Edmonton still expecting him to crack the team at some point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad