Twitter going private?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Not necessarily, because there's a ripple effect of conspiracy theories. They can damage people's lives beyond repair in so many ways. There are many, many people out there with twitchy fingers ready to pull the trigger on someone because they think they've been wronged by said person. I mean, Jan 6 has been painted as "Taking politicial prisoners" or "Antifa in disguise", "an FBI psyop", or what have you. The theory that the previous president had the election stolen from him cost a few lives that day, none of which matter to those who perpetrated said conspiracy in the first place.

At the end of the day, Twitter can still decide what they want on their platform and what they don't, that's their right as a private company. America is not the only country that uses Twitter, and wannabes have popped up as a result of "the death of freedom of speech" and yet failed for many reasons. Twitter is not essential to anyone, you don't have to use it. If you want to use it, you have to follow their rules. If I went into someone else's house and peed on the floor, what do you think they'd do? "Oh, it's your right to use my floor as a toilet"?

The greatest advocates for freedom of speech actually don't really care about the concept, they just want the right to say what they want without personal responsibility. Of course, if you said anything they didn't like... Then hot damn we're right back where we started. Freedom of speech is nothing more than a political platform used to drum up anger from those who want their voice heard, no matter how terrible that voice might be.

Think of your most loved person on the planet. Now picture some rando with a million followers on the net spreading conspiracy theories that they were engaging in some incredibly shady behaviour even though you know it's incorrect. But the mob won't have its mind changed no matter what evidence is presented to them and your loved one loses their job, their livelihood, and probably their life too if things got too far.

What these people want isn't freedom of speech, they want freedom from responsibility.

What you're saying is all good and well, if it were only one side doing it. But thats just not true. One side loves to censor everything they don't like/agree with, or label it as "misinformation." Who's the judge of what is correct or incorrect? What about when new information comes to light contradicting the wrongly labeled misinformation?

Your last paragraph happens far more frequently than you'd like to believe, but the left does it just as much if not more than the right. Look at Deshaun Watson. Not enough evidence to go to court, but thats not stoping everyone from claiming he's a rapist. Where is the misinformation label on cases like that? If twitter (and most other media) wants to be taken seriously they'd be consistent with the misinformation tag they love to throw around on right wing ideas.

We don't want freedom from responsibility, we want consistency. Either both sides can have freedom of speech or nobody does. This one-sided nature is complete and utter bullshit.

Reactions: Beezers Mask

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Again, the world's experts are all wrong but the random guy on Twitter throwing shit at the wall has it all figured out. If you want to examine tyranny check out that really big country across the Pacific for what it looks like. A guy who frequently has dissenting voices and political opponents vanish. As for the election, a certain former President told us over and over again that should he lose, it will be because the election was rigged. He repeated this idea over and over again and the idea that he might lose legitimately was never addressed. That's how Jan. 6 happened, and some people needlessly lost their lives while the former president in question sat back and watched it all happen because he'd rather drink acid than go anywhere near the firestorms he created. If those theories were quashed before they spun out of control, do you think January 6th would've happened?

People will honestly believe that the entire world is out to get them except the people who actually are out to get them. Just a peek around Twitter and pro-LBGTQ people are being labeled as "groomers", do you think that kind of speech is conducive to a functioning society? Or do you think that some lunkhead with a handgun is going to go out and spray at a pride parade because he thinks that every non-heterosexual is going to go after his child? And of course the instant that happens, out come the theories that he's from CIA/FBI/CNN/whatever because people don't want to accept the responsibility that they might've fed unstable people wrong ideas and ultimately others had to pay the price.

Do you think its ok to label everyone who didn't support BLM's riots as racist?

It's hilarious seeing the left get bent out of shape over their tactics being used against them

Last edited:

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
What these people want isn't freedom of speech, they want freedom from responsibility.
Based on everything you've said, what you want is the freedom from responsibility of thinking for yourself. As someone said before, why should an unelected small group of people be arbiters of what we can and can not discuss?

Maybe you've seen it or you didn't but a lot of people went crazy after Tucker Carlson argued in court that his show is opinionated, not necessarily based on fact.

Those same people stayed absolutely silent when Facebook argued in court that this was the case for their "fact checkers" for that exact same reason.

Reactions: JKG33

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Do you think its ok to label everyone who didn't support BLM's riots as racist like the left has done?

It's hilarious seeing the left get bent out of shape over their tactics being used against them
So in other words the right and left are exactly the same people. Congrats on catching up with the rest of us.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Based on everything you've said, what you want is the freedom from responsibility of thinking for yourself. As someone said before, why should an unelected small group of people be arbiters of what we can and can not discuss?

Maybe you've seen it or you didn't but a lot of people went crazy after Tucker Carlson argued in court that his show is opinionated, not necessarily based on fact.

Those same people stayed absolutely silent when Facebook argued in court that this was the case for their "fact checkers" for that exact same reason.
I actually wanted to congratulate Tucker on coming out of the closet on national TV. That’s some real bravery.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What you're saying is all good and well, if it were only one side doing it. But thats just not true. One side loves to censor everything they don't like/agree with, or label it as "misinformation." Who's the judge of what is correct or incorrect? What about when new information comes to light contradicting the wrongly labeled misinformation?

Your last paragraph happens far more frequently than you'd like to believe, but the left does it just as much if not more than the right. Look at Deshaun Watson. Not enough evidence to go to court, but thats not stoping everyone from claiming he's a rapist. Where is the misinformation label on cases like that? If twitter (and most other media) wants to be taken seriously they'd be consistent with the misinformation tag they love to throw around on right wing ideas.

We don't want freedom from responsibility, we want consistency. Either both sides can have freedom of speech or nobody does. This one-sided nature is complete and utter bullshit.
Rape is an incredibly hard thing to prove, unfortunately.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Again, the world's experts are all wrong but the random guy on Twitter throwing shit at the wall has it all figured out. If you want to examine tyranny check out that really big country across the Pacific for what it looks like. A guy who frequently has dissenting voices and political opponents vanish. As for the election, a certain former President told us over and over again that should he lose, it will be because the election was rigged. He repeated this idea over and over again and the idea that he might lose legitimately was never addressed. That's how Jan. 6 happened, and some people needlessly lost their lives while the former president in question sat back and watched it all happen because he'd rather drink acid than go anywhere near the firestorms he created. If those theories were quashed before they spun out of control, do you think January 6th would've happened?

People will honestly believe that the entire world is out to get them except the people who actually are out to get them. Just a peek around Twitter and pro-LBGTQ people are being labeled as "groomers", do you think that kind of speech is conducive to a functioning society? Or do you think that some lunkhead with a handgun is going to go out and spray at a pride parade because he thinks that every non-heterosexual is going to go after his child? And of course the instant that happens, out come the theories that he's from CIA/FBI/CNN/whatever because people don't want to accept the responsibility that they might've fed unstable people wrong ideas and ultimately others had to pay the price.

What you're saying is that there are costs associated with true free speech. You are right, I agree with you, I said the same thing in my response to you directly before.

But what it seems you're not acknowledging is the costs associated with restricting speech. Until you think through those and try to put them in balance against the things you listed above, you're not arguing with me, you're arguing with yourself.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What you're saying is that there are costs associated with true free speech. You are right, I agree with you, I said the same thing in my response to you directly before.

But what it seems you're not acknowledging is the costs associated with restricting speech. Until you think through those and try to put them in balance against the things you listed above, you're not arguing with me, you're arguing with yourself.
So people having their lives ruined is an acceptable cost so long as I get to say that vaccines cause autism? I mean, doctors, scientists, all government, the media, big pharma, big tech, teachers… they’ve all been lying to us the entire time, right?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Rape is an incredibly hard thing to prove, unfortunately.
If twitter was as free and loose with their misinformation tag on all issues as they are with covid and election issues, things like calling Watson a rapist would get it too. The problem is their blatant inconsistency.

BMacLeafs

Feb 20, 2022
I think Elon Musk is treading in dangerous waters by trying to control Twitter. He is buying it so he can spout his racist garbage and let the trolls have free reign. The man is a danger to all of Western civilisation. Freedom of speech might be the worst of American visions, and given all the other garbage that has come out of the USA, that's saying something. If his hostile takeover of Twitter succeeds, I hope PM Trudeau considers banning it in Canada.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If twitter was as free and loose with their misinformation tag on all issues as they are with covid and election issues, things like calling Watson a rapist would get it too. The problem is their blatant inconsistency
But where’s the proof that he isn’t a rapist?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think Elon Musk is treading in dangerous waters by trying to control Twitter. He is buying it so he can spout his racist garbage and let the trolls have free reign. The man is a danger to all of Western civilisation. Freedom of speech might be the worst of American visions, and given all the other garbage that has come out of the USA, that's saying something. If his hostile takeover of Twitter succeeds, I hope PM Trudeau considers banning it in Canada.
This entire post reads like satire

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
So people having their lives ruined is an acceptable cost so long as I get to say that vaccines cause autism? I mean, doctors, scientists, all government, the media, big pharma, big tech, teachers… they’ve all been lying to us the entire time, right?
Just say you're a fascist that condones government sanctioned speech only and move along.

Not long after this, Dorsey was forced out. Twitter single handedly swayed an election. If the story, considered a conspiracy theory at the time, had been allowed to be broadcasted it would have been the difference for a few million votes at the very least.

Reactions: JKG33

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
Sure. You believe that.
If they had anything on Trump that was worth a damn there is no way the media or democrats would be able to control themselves. They would blow their collective loads in a matter of minutes.

You can keep believing there is some mysterious evidence that has already been found but not reported

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just say you're a fascist that condones government sanctioned speech only and move along.

Not long after this, Dorsey was forced out. Twitter single handedly swayed an election. If the story, considered a conspiracy theory at the time, had been allowed to be broadcasted it would have been the difference for a few million votes at the very least.
Aha, so I’m a fascist now, way to be, leftie.

And of course if we are to suddenly care about the Presidents children, hoo boy…

Also NY Post is MSM and they all lie so it’s a moot point.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Aha, so I’m a fascist now, way to be, leftie.

And of course if we are to suddenly care about the Presidents children, hoo boy…
Yes, that's what is so funny about people like you with your arguments. You claim moral superiority and to be against fascism when the irony is so glaringly obvious.

Trump had his baggage already out in the open. A small group of people inside Twitter headquarters decided our current president.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes, that's what is so funny about people like you with your arguments. You claim moral superiority and to be against fascism when the irony is so glaringly obvious.

Trump had his baggage already out in the open. A small group of people inside Twitter headquarters decided our current president.
Then I guess the American populace needs to smarten up, wouldn’t you say? ;)

I’m sure the majority of the voting population wasn’t already set in their ways no matter what.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007

People being exposed to wrong information and lies is an acceptable cost for the right to speak your mind freely. This is not a new debate, this topic has been explored by philosophers, politicians, and moral adjudicators of all kinds for centuries.

This entire post reads like satire

I think it's trolling, I started replying but I can't really take someone seriously who hates these values so passionately.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
People being exposed to wrong information and lies is an acceptable cost for the right to speak your mind freely. This is not a new debate, this topic has been explored by philosophers, politicians, and moral adjudicators of all kinds for centuries.

I think it's trolling, I started replying but I can't really take someone seriously who hates these values so passionately.
So let’s just keep going with it because society has never been better.

If someone spread rumours that your parents had started a prostitution ring and it cost them their jobs would you still stand by this line of thinking?

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
So let’s just keep going with it because society has never been better.

If someone spread rumours that your parents had started a prostitution ring and it cost them their jobs would you still stand by this line of thinking?
His parents would probably be singing and dancing thinking about that sweet libel lawsuit money. Just like Nick Sandmann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad