Twitter going private?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Would a privately owned Twitter be a good thing or a terrible idea, especially if Musk leading the charge?

Elon Musk has made an offer to buy Twitter (TWTR) and take it private, saying he believes the company needs to be "transformed."
According to an SEC filing, Musk has offered to acquire all the shares in Twitter he does not own for $54.20 per share, valuing the company at $43.4 billion. That represents a 38% premium over the closing price on April 1, the last trading day before Musk disclosed that he had become Twitter's biggest shareholder, and an 18% premium over its closing price Wednesday.
Musk said the cash offer was his "best and final offer," according to the SEC filing, adding that if it's not accepted he would have to reconsider his position as a shareholder.
The Tesla CEO sent an offer letter to the company Wednesday night, according to the filing.

"I invested in Twitter as I believe in its potential to be the platform for free speech around the globe, and I believe free speech is a societal imperative for a functioning democracy," he said in a letter he sent to Twitter. "However, since making my investment I now realize the company will neither thrive nor serve this societal imperative in its current form. Twitter needs to be transformed as a private company."
The letter was addressed to Bret Taylor, the chair of the Twitter board, not CEO Parag Agrawal, who assumed that title last fall. It concludes: "Twitter has extraordinary potential. I will unlock it."

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Elon Musk is a weirdo, his fans (because that's what they are) are all weirdos and if he tries to change twitter he'll kill it within a year.

It's hard to say if any of this is bad.

Honestly, the man should have a statue made of him if he is able to remove Twitter from the world. Twitter is the societal cancer

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Facebook is worse but Twitter isn't far behind. Seems like a waste of 40 whatever billion dollars that could be used for countless other things that might impact the world positively.

Fair but he already is spending billions on that between Tesla, Space X, Hyperloop, Starlink (currently giving Ukraine free internet)

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Does Elon Musk think Twitter is owned by the government or why does he go off about its lack of 'freedom of speech'?

Reactions: Jussi

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Facebook is worse but Twitter isn't far behind. Seems like a waste of 40 whatever billion dollars that could be used for countless other things that might impact the world positively.

They're both bad, but the base idea of Facebook (Or any other similar site) is rather useful. Basically, if you took Facebook and stripped all the ads, groups, politics, etc and kept personal private profiles only for the purpose of connecting with people that you want to keep in touch with, then it serves a purpose. With Twitter there's no purpose other than shit disturbing.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
They're both bad, but the base idea of Facebook (Or any other similar site) is rather useful. Basically, if you took Facebook and stripped all the ads, groups, politics, etc and kept personal private profiles only for the purpose of connecting with people that you want to keep in touch with, then it serves a purpose. With Twitter there's no purpose other than shit disturbing.

This

All Twitter did was give all the village idiots in the world a platform to go and yell at each other

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I would prefer if he just sticks with space stuff.

There are plenty of platforms for calling out Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/whatever whenever it comes to their moderation habits.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I never thought of Twitter as a usual social media platform either but rather a platform just for following celebrities / companies / whoever. I use Twitter but never actually look at responses to tweets.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There's nothing inherently bad about Twitter. It has many beneficial uses. It's people that are the problem. Any time that people are able to express themselves, you're going to get some who don't think before they do it and abuse the privilege of being heard.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I never thought of Twitter as a usual social media platform either but rather a platform just for following celebrities / companies / whoever. I use Twitter but never actually look at responses to tweets.

I would have no problem if Twitter was simply a service for celebs, athletes, sports teams, etc connecting with their fans and giving out updates, products, etc. I remember a good example of this was Dana White, he would use Twitter in the early days to meet up with fans in random spots and give them free UFC tickets. But for something like this to work, you need to only give higher level account access to actual verified celebs, athletes, etc.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I would have no problem if Twitter was simply a service for celebs, athletes, sports teams, etc connecting with their fans and giving out updates, products, etc. I remember a good example of this was Dana White, he would use Twitter in the early days to meet up with fans in random spots and give them free UFC tickets. But for something like this to work, you need to only give higher level account access to actual verified celebs, athletes, etc.
LIke My Space was supposed to be in its revival? lol

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Elon is proof that not all rich people are smart. That money could go to so many better causes.

Twitter sucks but if you take one gander at its alternatives, this is unfortunately the best we've got.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Fair but he already is spending billions on that between Tesla, Space X, Hyperloop, Starlink (currently giving Ukraine free internet)

No Starlink is NOT giving Ukraine free internet. The US government is purchasing it for Ukrainians. Elon is lying AGAIN. They like to hide details. US paid way above market rate for the ones they bought, which in turn would be market rate if you consider it all together or close to. Then US gov is paying shipping costs. This is not a good will gesture, it's a scam. Credit goes to the US government, not Starlink or Elon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...nk-terminals-ukraine-contrary-spacexs-claims/

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Ya that and first thing he posted when it came out and said he bought 9.2% and was going to be on the board (which he later changed his mind), was a meme of him smoking a blunt with the caption "board meetings are going to be lit" or something like that. He likes his pot a little too much lol

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ya that and first thing he posted when it came out and said he bought 9.2% and was going to be on the board (which he later changed his mind), was a meme of him smoking a blunt with the caption "board meetings are going to be lit" or something like that. He likes his pot a little too much lol
Elon is the very definition of that "How do you do fellow kids" guy. He lures people into thinking he's "one of us" when he really just wants your money and adoration.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I never tweet and use Twitter just to keep up with sports news and some podcasts I like to listen to. Sometimes I’ll look at Twitter comments, especially the sports stuff and it’s so cringing.

Reactions: Cirris

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Elon Musk is a weirdo, his fans (because that's what they are) are all weirdos and if he tries to change twitter he'll kill it within a year.

It's hard to say if any of this is bad.
It would be amazing.
Honestly, the man should have a statue made of him if he is able to remove Twitter from the world. Twitter is the societal cancer
this
If Elon Musk kills twitter, he would be a hero imo.
also this.

If he kills Twitter I'll buy a goddamn Tesla, and I have no interest in a Tesla.

Reactions: Cirris

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
He is 100% just pumping it up to dump it for a huge profit. His fans are like a cult and just buy whatever he says to buy. It's such easy money being in that position. Load up on a stock, tell people they should buy it, cash out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad