Twitter going private?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
So let’s just keep going with it because society has never been better.

Actually, "society has never been better" is a true statement that you can make every generation in the United States and be correct. I recommend Steven Pinker's Enlightenment Now if you're not convinced on this topic, but I consider it relatively "settled science", though I'm happy to discuss it, because I believe in the primacy of open discussion ;)

If someone spread rumours that your parents had started a prostitution ring and it cost them their jobs would you still stand by this line of thinking?

This is called a straw man.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
So let’s just keep going with it because society has never been better.

If someone spread rumours that your parents had started a prostitution ring and it cost them their jobs would you still stand by this line of thinking?
Your line of thinking is hilarious and ironic because this shit does happen all the time, but on the other side.

To use a hockey example, Dusty Imoo (Goalie coach the Leafs hired) liked some mean tweets, the easily offended mob tweeted that he's a racist, and he lost his job as a result.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Your line of thinking is hilarious and ironic because this shit does happen all the time, but on the other side.

To use a hockey example, Dusty Imoo (Goalie coach the Leafs hired) liked some mean tweets, the easily offended mob tweeted that he's a racist, and he lost his job.
It happens on both sides. If you think one side is completely innocent and the other completely guilty, you've lost the plot.

Actually, "society has never been better" is a true statement that you can make every generation in the United States and be correct. I recommend Steven Pinker's Enlightenment Now if you're not convinced on this topic, but I consider it relatively "settled science", though I'm happy to discuss it, because I believe in the primacy of open discussion ;)

This is called a straw man.
Society has never been so divided and at each other's throats. Intolerance is rampant.

And it's not a strawman, it's a hypothetical scenario. A straw man is basically when I put words in your mouth that you never said to make myself look better. But fine, let's change it up a bit. There's likely millions of people on the planet who would fill certain political leaders and health experts full of holes given the opportunity, even if they were proven to be completely innocent. Do you think that's a healthy mindset that should be fed consistently?

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
So people having their lives ruined is an acceptable cost so long as I get to say that vaccines cause autism? I mean, doctors, scientists, all government, the media, big pharma, big tech, teachers… they’ve all been lying to us the entire time, right?
They absolutely have been lying to you. You just don’t want to believe it. Look at big pharma who you mentioned. They knowingly started the opioid epidemic and knew what was going to happen all along. Now they want to sell you another drug to help you with your addiction and you basically have to take it forever.

Scientists receive money from politicians who have agendas.

Politicians are historically as a group the scummiest, most corrupt, and least moral people on earth.

We have already been over big tech and media in this thread.

Teachers and their unions have been notoriously active in promoting certain political and moral views to their students without their parent’s permission.

So yeah all of your public institutions have agendas and the vast majority of them lean in one direction.

The only public institution that doesn’t/hasn’t in the past is also the one they want to defund.

Reactions: JKG33

BMacLeafs

Feb 20, 2022
They absolutely have been lying to you. You just don’t want to believe it. Look at big pharma who you mentioned. They knowingly started the opioid epidemic and knew what was going to happen all along. Now they want to sell you another drug to help you with your addiction and you basically have to take it forever.

Politicians are historically as a group the scummiest, most corrupt, and least moral people on earth.

Teachers and their unions have been notoriously active in promoting certain political and moral views to their students without their parent’s permission.

So yeah all of your public institutions have agendas and the vast majority of them lean in one direction.

The only public institution that doesn’t/hasn’t in the past is also the one they want to defund.

Who let QAnon on this board? I'll bet it's no coincidence that this poster's handle honours an avowed racist.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

What's your primary news source? Or like your go to?

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Intolerance is rampant.

So is censorship.

And it's not a strawman, it's a hypothetical scenario. A straw man is basically when I put words in your mouth that you never said to make myself look better. But fine, let's change it up a bit. There's likely millions of people on the planet who would fill certain political leaders and health experts full of holes given the opportunity, even if they were proven to be completely innocent. Do you think that's a healthy mindset that should be fed consistently?

No, I don't advocate for or defend anybody calling for violence or harm against another, and I don't believe that such things are covered under the umbrella of "free speech".

Who let QAnon on this board? I'll bet it's no coincidence that this poster's handle honours an avowed racist.

A poster like this is a perfect example, @KeithIsJustOkay. I disagree with them, I think they're wrong and non-contributory to the discussion, I could easily argue that they're doing harm, but I fully and unconditionally do not support them being removed or their content censored.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So is censorship.

No, I don't advocate for or defend anybody calling for violence or harm against another, and I don't believe that such things are covered under the umbrella of "free speech".

A poster like this is a perfect example, @KeithIsJustOkay. I disagree with them, I think they're wrong and non-contributory to the discussion, I could easily argue that they're doing harm, but I fully and unconditionally do not support them being removed or their content censored.
Intolerance leads to hate, hate leads to anger, anger leads to action. People are gunned down on a daily basis due to intolerance.

Okay, let's flip this on its head then. Who do you trust? Because it sounds like, if you have kids, you should cut off all internet and TV and media, take them out of school, never let them go to a doctor or anything of the like, and you probably shouldn't let them interact with anyone. After all, you wouldn't want anyone filling their heads with ideas that aren't "allowed by the parents".

Oh, and assuming you're talking about the police, it's a matter of reforming the system. "Defund the police" was a poor choice of a slogan for whoever invented it, just like global warming, because people always take those things at face value and never dig deeper. I mean if politicians are corrupt (and they are), the police is just as corrupt because they often cover for said politicians.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Growing up I don't remember much politics or personal views/experiences from teachers. But nowadays hearing friends who are teachers talk about their job... its a big yikes. When I have kids I'll do my best to keep them outta the public school system.

No surprise that there is no rebuttal just an accusation of racism. How fitting…
The jokes write themselves

Reactions: Beezers Mask

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Growing up I don't remember much politics or personal views/experiences from teachers. But nowadays hearing friends who are teachers talk about their job... its a big yikes. When I have kids I'll do my best to keep them outta the public school system.

Did you skip social studies by any chance and not learn about "The Underground Railroad"?

And if you're going to have kids you'll have to cut the cable, no internet, no out of school activities, no doctors, no adults that aren't you, no friends, no nothing. Oh, and no hockey.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Elon Musk getting Twitter and changing it to how he sees fit would be...not great. He'd, no question, make it worse. Twitter is great.

For fans of capitalism here: Twitter was put into the social media marketplace a long time ago, and the market spoke...people really, really like it as it is.

Do people want Twitter gone because there are occasional warning labels that said someone may be making false claims about a pandemic? Or cuz a certain world leader was kicked off it for violating its TOS?

I love Twitter. I find out so much breaking information from it. It's probably the #1 source of celebrities/athletes speaking to their fans and news outlets.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Someone who doesn't have a twitter account and isn't a moderator of this board (as Mouser and I have been for nearly a decade), knows as much about twitter as I do (as I have an account) and moderating HF, which I have for more than 8 years?

No, I think this is one of those situations where I can say with near certainty that you are absolutely wrong that this board is moderated at a level even remotely similar to twitter.

I don't know specifically how Twitter monetizes, but one additional level of moderation they'll require is over fake/bot accounts. If there's any money involvement with how many followers a twitter user has, then having a massive influx of bot accounts will **** with the money and they will need to moderate with the ban hammer.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Did you skip social studies by any chance and not learn about "The Underground Railroad"?

And if you're going to have kids you'll have to cut the cable, no internet, no out of school activities, no doctors, no adults that aren't you, no friends, no nothing. Oh, and no hockey.

You're taking this way to the extreme. I was referring to teachers personal opinions/experiences. We still had the under ground railroad, and the residential schools, and all that stuff. But teachers (at least the ones I had) didn't put their own slant on the curriculum like they do now.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Elon Musk getting Twitter and changing it to how he sees fit would be...not great. He'd, no question, make it worse. Twitter is great.

For fans of capitalism here: Twitter was put into the social media marketplace a long time ago, and the market spoke...people really, really like it as it is.

Do people want Twitter gone because there are occasional warning labels that said someone may be making false claims about a pandemic? Or cuz a certain world leader was kicked off it for violating its TOS?

I love Twitter. I find out so much breaking information from it. It's probably the #1 source of celebrities/athletes speaking to their fans and news outlets.
Those are one in the same. The president not having the "correct" opinion was just the most notable incident. Most users don't have warning labels attached to their posts, they get outright banned.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You're taking this way to the extreme. I was referring to teachers personal opinions/experiences. We still had the under ground railroad, and the residential schools, and all that stuff. But teachers (at least the ones I had) didn't put their own slant on the curriculum like they do now.
But if you're following the thread that other guy was talking about, you're going to have to restrict your child from basically everything because everyone is out to get you.

I mean, I learned about racism when I was in grade 3. And anyone who called the one POC in our grade the N word was instantly ostracized.

Teachers are not robots, and its important for children to learn about different points of view. You're free to home school your child if you so please, but then you're going to deprive them of needed social contact and they'll grow up stunted.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Those are one in the same. The president not having the "correct" opinion was just the most notable incident. Most users don't have warning labels attached to their posts, they get outright banned.

I'm not sure if you're saying Twitter did the right thing, or the wrong thing banning that certain political figure due to their alleged attempt at a coup?

Sounds like you're saying Twitter should've outright banned him for breaking TOS.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He repeatedly asserted that the election was stolen despite no evidence of it. This repeated assertion directly led to January 6th.

Of course, he was free to make his own platform (which you'd be banned from if you criticized him or it), and he quickly abandoned it because as it turns out, creating a social media giant is far harder than convincing the masses that the election was stolen from him.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
But if you're following the thread that other guy was talking about, you're going to have to restrict your child from basically everything because everyone is out to get you.

I mean, I learned about racism when I was in grade 3. And anyone who called the one POC in our grade the N word was instantly ostracized.

Teachers are not robots, and its important for children to learn about different points of view. You're free to home school your child if you so please, but then you're going to deprive them of needed social contact and they'll grow up stunted.

I don't care what the other guy said. I'm responding to your post which was responding to me.

No, I'll put my kids in private school were the teachers are actually worth a damn.

Learning about different points of view is fine. Being brainwashed into believing theres only one correct opinion is abuse.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm not sure if you're saying Twitter did the right thing, or the wrong thing banning that certain political figure due to their alleged attempt at a coup?

Sounds like you're saying Twitter should've outright banned him for breaking TOS.
I'm saying that if there is ever even a remote possible violation done by someone on the right, twitter is quick to drop the ban hammer. This courtesy however is not extended to those on the left, they are allowed to promote hate speech as often as they please

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't care what the other guy said. I'm responding to your post which was responding to me.

No, I'll put my kids in private school were the teachers are actually worth a damn.

Learning about different points of view is fine. Being brainwashed into believing theres only one correct opinion is abuse.
You think private school is any different? You DO know what goes on in those, right? They'll happily indoctrinate your kid with religious ideals, assuming the school is a religious one.

Of course, those schools are also rife with bullying, hazing, and other such stories.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
You think private school is any different? You DO know what goes on in those, right? They'll happily indoctrinate your kid with religious ideals, assuming the school is a religious one.

Of course, those schools are also rife with bullying, hazing, and other such stories.
Not every private school is religious. But I'm not a regular church goer by any means, I'd still much rather my kid be "indoctrinated" with Christian views as opposed to today's public schools where kids are encouraged to explore their sexuality and all that bullshit at 12 yrs old. A kid that young that wants to and is allowed to transition is a kid thats been abused.

You know what else I'm sure you'd describe as "rife with bullying, hazing, and other such stories?" Sports, but I'm still putting my kids in that if they want to play.

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021

It wasn’t that way when I was in high school. College was a different story but you’re supposed to be an adult when you get there.

I wouldn’t dare send my kids to public schools these days I don’t care how many hours/jobs I have to work to send them to a private school. It will get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad