OT: TV & Movie Thread: Part II

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I love Vikings and just can’t get into Last Kingdom. I study Norse mythology and history, have Norse tattoos, wear Norse talismans, and have Norse ancestry. Heck, my dogs are named Loki and Thor, and if we had a third we’d name it Baldr. We have intense discussions about naming our first born Bjorn. I don’t know why I can’t enjoy this show.

I don't have your background but I'm sharing the same sentiment. Don't know what it is but Last Kingdom just doesn't appeal to me (or nowhere near as much as Vikings). Probably something to do with the cast and characters. I mean, between Lagertha, Ragnar and Floki, there's no match, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: leetch99

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
For whatever reason, I preferred The Last Kingdom to Vikings.

For the foodies here, Julia Child and Jacques Pepin's old cooking show is on Amazon Prime Video. Nostalgia bomb that soothes the soul and holds up very well.

Reactions: CaptTennille

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
For whatever reason, I preferred The Last Kingdom to Vikings.

For the foodies here, Julia Child and Jacques Pepin's old cooking show is on Amazon Prime Video. Nostalgia bomb that soothes the soul and holds up very well.

My wife and I have been watching "Somebody Feed Phil" on Netflix.
Who knew that a saccharine foodie-travelogue starring a non-controversial funnyman could be just what the doctor ordered during a global pandemic in one of the most politically divisive periods to date?!

Reactions: Crease

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I love Vikings and just can’t get into Last Kingdom. I study Norse mythology and history, have Norse tattoos, wear Norse talismans, and have Norse ancestry. Heck, my dogs are named Loki and Thor, and if we had a third we’d name it Baldr. We have intense discussions about naming our first born Bjorn. I don’t know why I can’t enjoy this show.

My buddy has been on Vikings a few times. Started as an Extra. Then had a few lines eventually.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm watching the people vs. OJ Simpson now and it's like watching a train wreck knowing what will happen. It's from 2016 so not new.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
My buddy has been on Vikings a few times. Started as an Extra. Then had a few lines eventually.

EAA3EC9F-28DE-44FD-A7EB-0E9FD70FD70F.png

That’s cool. I’d love to be an extra on a show like that. Just to be on the set with everyone in costume and makeup must be fun. I always thought of hockey players as vikings as a kid. Especially with playoff beards.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm watching the people vs. OJ Simpson now and it's like watching a train wreck knowing what will happen. It's from 2016 so not new.

I recall watching it and I don't think I liked it to much as it was to "blah" for me. The problem with that particular show from recollection was that ESPN at pretty much same timeframe had just released it's awesome 4 part 8 hour "Made In America" OJ documentary and that was so damn riveting and good, anything OJ related simply paled in comparison.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I recall watching it and I don't think I liked it to much as it was to "blah" for me. The problem with that particular show from recollection was that ESPN at pretty much same timeframe had just released it's awesome 4 part 8 hour "Made In America" OJ documentary and that was so damn riveting and good, anything OJ related simply paled in comparison.

Hmmm, I think I confused the two and thought this one was Made in America. I wonder if there will be a point to watch that one too.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Hmmm, I think I confused the two and thought this one was Made in America. I wonder if there will be a point to watch that one too.

You'll know which is which seeing Made in America was all interviews and news footage whereas the People vs OJ was more of a made for TV mini-series.

I have a subscription to ESPN+ and I believe Made in America is available on it. So you can sign up for a free 7 day trial for it and than cancel after your finish.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You'll know which is which seeing Made in America was all interviews and news footage whereas the People vs OJ was more of a made for TV mini-series.

I have a subscription to ESPN+ and I believe Made in America is available on it. So you can sign up for a free 7 day trial for it and than cancel after your finish.

Oh, Made in America was a documentary? I wonder if I've seen it. I mostly watch documentaries and feel like I've seen an OJ one.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Big fans of Vikings. Would also recommend Last Kingdom.

Tudors have long been on list. Also want to see Alienist
I just finished Last Kingdom...took me two weeks . I noticed the kids were getting older faster near the end of the last season LOL.....it was hard to keep track of who owned who there for a couple of episodes . Will they continue filming episodes at some point ? I started watching Snowfall last night...hopefully it is entertaining .

Reactions: Lion Hound

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I just finished Last Kingdom...took me two weeks . I noticed the kids were getting older faster near the end of the last season LOL.....it was hard to keep track of who owned who there for a couple of episodes . Will they continue filming episodes at some point ? I started watching Snowfall last night...hopefully it is entertaining .

Snowfall is awesome!

Reactions: leetch99

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Not really TV. Not really movies. But going to put it here rather than start a new OT thread, hoping it resonates with old-school pro wrestling fans. Mark Calaway aka the Undertaker announced his retirement at Survivor Series and since has finally given media interviews, including this one, which is pretty great. One of his things throughout his 30 years as a pro wrestler was refusing to make public appearances out of character. So seeing him finally be Mark, very laid back and laughing, and not Undertaker is a hoot. I'm not really a wrestling fan, but I grew up one and followed Calaway as Undertaker when he debuted in 1990. So, when I caught wind that he retired a few days ago, it brought up lots of memories growing up.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Not really TV. Not really movies. But going to put it here rather than start a new OT thread, hoping it resonates with old-school pro wrestling fans. Mark Calaway aka the Undertaker announced his retirement at Survivor Series and since has finally given media interviews, including this one, which is pretty great. One of his things throughout his 30 years as a pro wrestler was refusing to make public appearances out of character. So seeing him finally be Mark, very laid back and laughing, and not Undertaker is a hoot. I'm not really a wrestling fan, but I grew up one and followed Calaway as Undertaker when he debuted in 1990. So, when I caught wind that he retired a few days ago, it brought up lots of memories growing up.

If you havent seen the 4 part documentary WWE did on him,its quite simply a masterpiece.You get to see Taker as you've never seen him before.That Hot Ones episode was great too

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
I say this with full acknowledgement that I'm too lazy/don't know how to do it, but it would be really cool if in this thread we had some kind of stickied poll where we can all give votes to different shows we recommend. There have been so many good recommendations -- too many to actually keep up with in real time -- and it would be nice to have a simple chart or something at the top of the thread page to refer to. Next time I'm overwhelmed by all the Netflix/Prime/ options, I can refer here and be like, "oh, Ozark has a ton of votes, time to give it a shot."

Regardless, thanks again for all the recs people!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad