OT: TV & Movie Thread: Part II

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
@Maximus , our TV series preferences are almost identical so trust me when I tell you to give Westworld another chance.

I also second your take on Narcos, but I was really disappointed in season 1 of Narcos Mexico and not sure if I will give the second season a try anytime soon.

Hot take: IMO Snowfall is better than Narcos

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
@Maximus , our TV series preferences are almost identical so trust me when I tell you to give Westworld another chance.

I also second your take on Narcos, but I was really disappointed in season 1 of Narcos Mexico and not sure if I will give the second season a try anytime soon.

Hot take: IMO Snowfall is better than Narcos

Snowfall is in my backlog also, lol

Also, on a side note, not sure if anyone has a TV show tracker to keep track of everything (haha), but I use iShows for the iPhone.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Finished Locke and Key.

On the whole, I enjoyed it. Some serious cheese in a couple of places, and one or two of the characters' writing and/or acting are shaky (Rufus in particular, IMO), but the central concept is solid, the magic is fun, and the twists are fairly decent (though I called the lead-in to season 2 early on in ep. 10).

Doesn't quite have the legs of a Stranger Things, I don't think, but I'll give season 2 a go when it comes out.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Wow, found this way far - 5 pages down.

Finished The Outsider. Goes into well done and recommend file.
Better call Saul s5 is well underway and as always top notch. Looking forward to a few soon returning shows. Ozark, Westerwold, Billions. Fargo too, I think. Watched a few episodes of Briarpatch - haven’t made up my mind. Saved Dispatches from Elsewhere - ads piqued my interest.

What people think about High Maintenance? Got to watch it baked because otherwise these stories wouldn’t make sense, like out-of-focus or something.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Finished Locke and Key.

On the whole, I enjoyed it. Some serious cheese in a couple of places, and one or two of the characters' writing and/or acting are shaky (Rufus in particular, IMO), but the central concept is solid, the magic is fun, and the twists are fairly decent (though I called the lead-in to season 2 early on in ep. 10).

Doesn't quite have the legs of a Stranger Things, I don't think, but I'll give season 2 a go when it comes out.

I enjoyed it too and also figured out that last twist. The cheese is definitely on purpose. Fun little adventure story.

Netflix actually makes quite a few shows in the SciFi/Fantasy realm that are surprisingly good. Most of them have their minor flaws, but each show taken as a whole is strong. You mentioned Stranger Things and Locke and Key. And of course, there’s The Witcher. I’ve also enjoyed Another Life and Lost in Space (that was a big surprise to me)

Currently, I’m enjoying Travelers. Next up will be Altered Carbon.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I enjoyed it too and also figured out that last twist. The cheese is definitely on purpose. Fun little adventure story.

Netflix actually makes quite a few shows in the SciFi/Fantasy realm that are surprisingly good. Most of them have their minor flaws, but each show taken as a whole is strong. You mentioned Stranger Things and Locke and Key. And of course, there’s The Witcher. I’ve also enjoyed Another Life and Lost in Space (that was a big surprise to me)

Travelers is great, but heads up they cancel the series on a cliffhanger which is really annoying.

Season 1 of Altered Carbon was incredible too. Just started the 2nd season.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Travelers is great, but heads up they cancel the series on a cliffhanger which is really annoying.

Season 1 of Altered Carbon was incredible too. Just started the 2nd season.

My understanding was that it wasn't really a cliffhanger, but it had closed this "chapter" of the series while creating a lead-in to another chapter. You don't necessarily have to do the next chapter. I'll find out soon enough I guess.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Booksmart (2019, Olivia Wilde) - 3.5/5
Funny, on-point, sweet, great production.

The Gentlemen (2020, Guy Pierce) - 2.5/5
Sloppily slick, poor production. Meh.

Emma. (2020, Autumn de Wilde) - 3/5
Well-made, nice performances, funny, charming.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Vanity Fair released some new stills from the upcoming Dune movie in December.

It looks perfect and I am very hyped for this.

Behold Dune: A New Look at Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, and More

kl9pxx3x4ms41.jpg

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

You should try Project Blue Book on History Channel.

How was Witcher? Have not started but pondering it. Also heard that the Dracula 3 parter is really good.

And again, for those of y'all that have no idea of who Alfie Solomon is, you need to find out.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Oscar Isaac looks like he will knock it out of the park as Duke Leto. He's got big shoes to fill in for Hurt and Prochnow, but I think he'll do spectacularly.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I thought Blade Runner 2049 was ok... but that doesn't distinguish it from the original. I think both are overhyped, and I'm a huge sci-fi fan. Arrival, however...

I love Dune. I'm just happy to have a competent director who isn't prone to melodrama (the way Lynch was) do an adaptation. This is going to be 2 movies, though. They're also doing a spin-off which will have Villeneuve at the director of the pilot.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Eh, going to be honest. Blade Runner II did not do much for me.

But will probably not be able to help myself and get geeked up for dune. After all, who can deny the spice?
Villeneuve has a complete total commitment to quality, from his actors to editing to score to cinematography. You know when you watch a movie and think “that was good, but it would have been better if they did this and that”? Well he’s the guy that does the this and that; No shortcuts. And more impressively, he does it with ballsy movies, too, like a Blade Runner sequel, a Dune remake, extraterrestrial contact, Montreal university shooting, and so on.

Have you seen his other films like Sicaro, Prisoners, Arrival, Incendies? That's another reason I love his work and don't care for say Scorcese or Nolan: his films, style, and subject matter vary significantly. One year it's a movie about kidnapping and hostages, the next year it's the war on drugs, and the next year it's freakin' aliens. This guy's first film is a black & white dramatization of the '89 Montreal Massacre, and then a decade later he's doing color-drenched neo-noir sci-fi.

Mastering the Movie Color Palette: Denis Villeneuve

DKYH35hUMAEUI-i.jpg

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I thought Blade Runner 2049 was ok... but that doesn't distinguish it from the original. I think both are overhyped, and I'm a huge sci-fi fan. Arrival, however...

I love Dune. I'm just happy to have a competent director who isn't prone to melodrama (the way Lynch was) do an adaptation. This is going to be 2 movies, though. They're also doing a spin-off which will have Villeneuve at the director of the pilot.
I think sequels—especially those to an original which had a complete conclusion—are limited in their ability to achieve significance (sans James Cameron). Making a film better than the original Blade Runner would have basically been impossible. Blade Runner 2049 is far from one of my favorite movies, and it didn't really change much in me, but it was impeccably crafted and just a pleasure to watch (and re-watch).

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think sequels—especially those to an original which had a complete conclusion—are limited in their ability to achieve significance (sans James Cameron). Making a film better than the original Blade Runner would have basically been impossible. Blade Runner 2049 is far from one of my favorite movies, and it didn't really change much in me, but it was impeccably crafted and just a pleasure to watch (and re-watch).

Agreed about sequels, although like I said... I wasn’t amazed by the original either. They’re good movies, but people sometimes talk about the original as one of the best science fiction movies, period, and the sequel too. I just don’t think they get up that high.

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are a case where the sequel was able to achieve that significance even though the first was a completed story.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Agreed about sequels, although like I said... I wasn’t amazed by the original either. They’re good movies, but people sometimes talk about the original as one of the best science fiction movies, period, and the sequel too. I just don’t think they get up that high.

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are a case where the sequel was able to achieve that significance even though the first was a completed story.
Did you see the original Blade Runner or the director’s cut? The original has this awful narration by Harrison Ford that makes it a completely different movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad