OT: TV and Movie Suggestions for the Self Isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Just finished binge watching 3 seasons of Babylon Berlin on Netflix, tremendous. Watch with subtitles and not dubs, otherwise unwatchable.

I’m a huge fan of British dramas, mostly crime ones.

Happy Valley
Broadchurch
Marcella
River
The Stranger

Loved Fleabag, Olivia Coleman is awesome in everything she does.

I assume Peaky Blinders has been mentioned in this thread.

Derry Girls might be one of the funniest sitcoms I’ve seen in years. Brilliantly written and acted, every character adds to the show.
Just finishing the third season of Babylon Berlin and wanted to say thanks for the recommendation. It won't appeal to everyone but it's great historical drama in the guise of a cops show...think it is the series of the year for me. Also really liked Broadchurch, Sex Education and Atypical.
COVID-19 is not going away any time soon so keep those social isolation suggestions coming!

Reactions: Ducky10
Nov 24, 2006
Was “American Crime” on anyone’s list? I saw all three seasons and was really impressed.

Each season is its own story. The twist is, the main actors are in each season but playing different roles.

The acting is superb. I’d never seen Felicity Huffman in anything before, she was great. Timothy Hutton was also fantastic.

Two thumbs up. :thumbu: :thumbu:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The Boys is so f***ing good. Can't wait for the finale next week. 2 seasons out, not a lot of commitment.

Big time. Watched season 1 and will watch season 2 when all the episodes are released. Just watched Utopia, another wickedly dark offering from Gillian Flynn (Gone Girl, Sharp Objects, Widows). She's really upped her splatter game on this one. Arby is right up there with Villanelle for assassins you love to watch. :laugh:

Reactions: irunthepeg

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
Just finished season 2 of doom patrol minus one episode ( was shut down due to covid19) another dark superhero show. Brendan Fraser is hilarious in it. Timothy Dolton is the leader. One girl has split personality and each personality (64) has a different power. Alan Tudyk is the bad guy ( Tucker and Dale vs evil) definitely an odd show but mostly enjoyable

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Just finished season 2 of doom patrol minus one episode ( was shut down due to covid19) another dark superhero show. Brendan Fraser is hilarious in it. Timothy Dolton is the leader. One girl has split personality and each personality (64) has a different power. Alan Tudyk is the bad guy ( Tucker and Dale vs evil) definitely an odd show but mostly enjoyable
Watched season 1 and was very pleasantly surprised how good it was. Very weird show, but I liked it. Will be watching season 2 soon.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Not sure if it's been posted but "The Expanse" on prime is the best sci-fi series I've ever seen. It's actually my favorite show I've ever watched! It's outstanding in every aspect.

It is very, very good but my vote for best SF series of all time is still The Starlost.

I'm kidding! The correct answer is of course Babylon 5. :nod:

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
It is very, very good but my vote for best SF series of all time is still The Starlost.

I'm kidding! The correct answer is of course Babylon 5. :nod:
BL5 was a great series, along with BSG the new series. Frak! Lol. I'm a sci-fi junkie! There's not many good ones any more! Waiting for Discovery to get going again. Not the best but I still like it.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just blew through 4 episodes of “Cooked” with Michael Pollan. Good way to kill a night, only 4 episodes. Really interesting stuff , the episode on microbes and fermentation was fascinating.

Also watched The worlds toughest race Fiji awhile back. Lots of hyperbole and melodrama, but those people are nuts! Now that summer and golf are pretty much in the rear view mirror, time to find something a bit more compelling and riveting.

Reactions: lanky and Jets 31

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just finishing the third season of Babylon Berlin and wanted to say thanks for the recommendation. It won't appeal to everyone but it's great historical drama in the guise of a cops show...think it is the series of the year for me. Also really liked Broadchurch, Sex Education and Atypical.
COVID-19 is not going away any time soon so keep those social isolation suggestions coming!
I’m really glad you enjoyed Babylon Berlin, I concur it may have been the series of the year for me as well, enjoyed it thoroughly. It’s always a letdown when finishing a series like that, it’s so hard to find another as good.
Season 4 was obviously pushed back due to Covid but hopefully it won’t be too long before it’s out. Might have to read the books in the meantime.

Reactions: scelaton

enuffidiotsalready

Nov 25, 2019
I'll qualify that by saying i haven't read the books (no spoilers unless star wars, right? ....mara jade something something.....). but what the expanse has set up seems very ambitious to say they least.

Reactions: TheGovernment

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Unorthodox on Netflix.....brilliant.
Agree....but have already seen it, dammmit.

Further to Babylon Berlin, if you like historical drama, have you seen The Crown? Slower moving but covers a big chunk of 20th century history, with some great acting from Olivia Colman, who starred in Broadchurch.

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad