WEEI Tuukka Rask reveals to Greg Hill why he left Bruins

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
From NHL:

Can a player leave the secure zone and return?
A player can leave if he receives permission for medical reasons or there are extenuating circumstances such as the birth of a child, illness or death in their family, or a family event, such as a wedding. When the player returns, he will be required to quarantine in his hotel room until he has received at least four consecutive negative test results over a four-day period.
Key questions, answers on protocols in Phases 3, 4 of Return to Play Plan

Found KPD article:

Could Tuukka Rask return to the Bruins and the NHL bubble? - The Boston Globe

According to the agreement, Rask can return to Toronto at any time, but is subject to a litany of consequences including nasal-swab testing, a 14-day quarantine, refusal of access, and in the strictest case (i.e. a potential positive COVID-19 test or violation of the agreement), a dismissal.

“[There is] no real need to expand on the league’s explanation, as return to play for any player is possible as each case is reviewed by the league,” Sweeney told the Globe via email. “Return-to-play quarantine timelines are dependent on means of travel, testing, and diligent preventative measures. All [are] subject to review by [the] NHL medical director.”

So my take away is that once Canada's rules are satisfied just to re-enter the country then the NHL protocol will be followed.

My guess is must be a couple of weeks from go to on the ice best case????

I guess the question then is why did Eller only have to quarantine for 4 days? Was it because he got prior approval, so they knew he was returning, and did X, Y, Z while he was outside the bubble? Clearly the Canadian guidelines weren't satisfied in that case. Don't think this is as black and white as KPD suggests.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I guess the question then is why did Eller only have to quarantine for 4 days? Was it because he got prior approval, so they knew he was returning, and did X, Y, Z while he was outside the bubble? Clearly the Canadian guidelines weren't satisfied in that case. Don't think this is as black and white as KPD suggests.

I found the tweet that I'd read earlier about Eller...

I think it depends on how you behave (or report to behave) once you get home. If you and your COVID-free family all stay home and literally do nothing during your stay out of the bubble and have no visitors - 4 days. If you have to go to high-risk areas (doctor, dentist, hair cut, kid's school), it's probably the 14 day quarantine.

That's why Lars Eller didn't go to the hospital to actually witness the birth of his son.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
i like tuuka but something is off about how he worded the situation. so he gets an emergency call but waits until the next morning to let neely know about it. no way
i wait until the next morning to tell by boss i have a family emergency. maybe he just worded it that way but doesnt seem like the way most people would handle a situation
that was so dire they had to call an ambulance.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Wait until his extension is announced.

I bet the ink won't even be dry before someone complains about it.

source.gif

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Wait until his extension is announced.

I bet the ink won't even be dry before someone complains about it.

My first thought was I'll only be angry if they announce it before the expansion draft, so that they have to protect him, rather than taking advantage of the loophole. That made me think about how Vladar is the only goalie they have who meets the minimum exposure requirements. I guess they could theoretically just see if Booth would sign an early extension instead.

aguineapig

Tuukka owes nothing more than to do his utmost to stop the next shot he sees in an NHL game. The shots taken at him in print and on social media I hope he pays no heed to. He owes me nothing but to do his level best when he wears the Black and Gold. I say a prayer for his sweet child. And one for those who have not walked in his shoes.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
You guys know he wanted out and didn't want to play BEFORE anything happened with his daughter right? The comments he made that had the team scratching their heads were made DAYS before.

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
My first thought was I'll only be angry if they announce it before the expansion draft, so that they have to protect him, rather than taking advantage of the loophole. That made me think about how Vladar is the only goalie they have who meets the minimum exposure requirements. I guess they could theoretically just see if Booth would sign an early extension instead.

I think there's no need to protect Rask because Seattle would be absolutely mad to take him. I can't imagine Francis is going to think it's in any way a good idea to take a guy who is famously strong-willed and drag him and his family clear across the country to a place he doesn't want to be, and expect he's going to do a good job stopping pucks for my new team. We're safe there.

As long as Tuuk puts in a strong start to the season and shows his head's fully back in the game then the Bruins should absolutely re-sign him, as long as the term isn't crazy long. Then they should move Halak on after this year and have Rask mentor whichever youngster will hopefully eventually take over from him, whether that's an internal guy like Vladar or Swayman or they decide they need to bring in someone from outside.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Rask is a better man than I because I would tell people it's none of their effing business

He owes us nothing

I agree, he owes us nothing, but he's got to play the media game. If he gives them absolutely nothing, or gets too defensive, it will merely encourage more speculation in the press and social media. He needed to do exactly what he's done - address the issue, give enough detail to reinforce the seriousness of the situation, and put it (mostly) to bed. Now he's talked about it, hopefully it's done and especially once the new season starts it will be ancient history. I'm not being naïve - I'm sure this one will never fully leave people's minds, especially with new contract talks coming up, but at least Rask has gotten on the front foot in making his decision and reasoning clear which should encourage at least most journos to move on.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Except he wasn't seen at the golf course
According to him. He may not have actually golfed but his name was on a tee sheet at a local country club. Maybe he thought better of going because of the optics. Either way his daughter was reportedly fine a day or two later, as confirmed by him and the Bruins, so it's concerning he made no effort to return to the bubble, especially after his commenta about how he didnt like it in there. Plenty of other athletes left for situations and returned.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
According to him. He may not have actually golfed but his name was on a tee sheet at a local country club. Maybe he thought better of going because of the optics. Either way his daughter was reportedly fine a day or two later, as confirmed by him and the Bruins, so it's concerning he made no effort to return to the bubble, especially after his commenta about how he didnt like it in there. Plenty of other athletes left for situations and returned.
I'm pretty sure that was made up. And then the question is why should he have gone back when things could have gone wrong again?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I'm pretty sure that was made up. And then the question is why should he have gone back when things could have gone wrong again?
He shouldn't be playing hockey then if his daughter has that sort of issues going on.

I mean why is he playing this season by that logic? Something could go wrong with his daughter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad