WEEI Tuukka Rask reveals to Greg Hill why he left Bruins

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Lol. It’s all over the web, bro. I know it doesn’t fit your narrative, but he said those things. Even in his clarification, he’s equivocal.

Look, like I said, I’d be just like him with that much money, a young family and my whole life ahead of me.

Tuukka Rask hints at retiring at end of current contract

Tuukka Rask Shuts Down Early Retirement Talk

I know all about those quotes. But I only gotta hit back what you serve. :laugh:

Also, it's strange you hold Rask to a higher standard than you do yourself. Rask bailing on his team is bad, yet you'd be just like him? Not helping your case (but still not as much damage as quoting Haggs!).

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I know all about those quote. But I only gotta hit back what you serve. :laugh:

Also, it's strange you hold Rask to a higher standard than you do yourself. Rask bailing on his team is bad, yet you'd be just like him? Not helping your case (but still not as much damage as quoting Haggs!).
Haha. Well, let me rephrase that. I’d have the same attitude and outlook, for sure, but wouldn’t bail on the team in the playoffs—unless it was really, really necessary. And, I will again concede that it might be in his case.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Haha. Well, let me rephrase that. I’d have the same attitude and outlook, for sure, but wouldn’t bail on the team in the playoffs—unless it was really, really necessary. And, I will again concede that it might be in his case.

VelvetyAgileHarrierhawk-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: DaJackal

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
If you concede that it might be the case, why is it so hard to just say "man, too bad, but he did the right thing"?

why question every little detail about the whole situation? Are you actually affected by it in any real way? Does your life get better if it turns out someone is lying? Does it get worse if no one is? It just seems like a ridiculous stand to make when you end up looking like a jerk to a lot of people.

The thing that people should maybe stop to think about, is at this point the parties involved aren't acting to protect or insulate Tuukka. They're acting to protect and insulate a little girl. At this point any "clarification" that can come would basically be revealing what the situation was with the daughter, and if Tuukka's private life is none of our business, his KIDS lives are INFINITELY not our business.

Go back and read some of the posts in the "Tuukka leaves the team" thread. I think some of those posts are made by genuinely unbalanced people and considering how small a portion of the general population is active on this forum, if you're seeing a handful of people like that here, how many more are out there in the real world? Now imagine that little girls name being linked to her daddy leaving the team to help her. It would not surprise me in the least if at some point in that girl's life some knuckle dragger harassing/verbally assaulting her because they blame her for Tuukka leaving.

But keep on keeping on i guess, it's vital we get to the bottom of this.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
If you concede that it might be the case, why is it so hard to just say "man, too bad, but he did the right thing"?

why question every little detail about the whole situation? Are you actually affected by it in any real way? Does your life get better if it turns out someone is lying? Does it get worse if no one is? It just seems like a ridiculous stand to make when you end up looking like a jerk to a lot of people.

The thing that people should maybe stop to think about, is at this point the parties involved aren't acting to protect or insulate Tuukka. They're acting to protect and insulate a little girl. At this point any "clarification" that can come would basically be revealing what the situation was with the daughter, and if Tuukka's private life is none of our business, his KIDS lives are INFINITELY not our business.

Go back and read some of the posts in the "Tuukka leaves the team" thread. I think some of those posts are made by genuinely unbalanced people and considering how small a portion of the general population is active on this forum, if you're seeing a handful of people like that here, how many more are out there in the real world? Now imagine that little girls name being linked to her daddy leaving the team to help her. It would not surprise me in the least if at some point in that girl's life some knuckle dragger harassing/verbally assaulting her because they blame her for Tuukka leaving.

But keep on keeping on i guess, it's vital we get to the bottom of this.
You make some good points here. Certainly agree with the knuckle-dragger comment. I’m a bit detached from the sports-obsessed masses who take this all too seriously. I like to debate and delve into nitty gritty on this Board about the Bruins but it’s just a distraction for me. Most people like me in real life, believe it or not. But to others, this stuff is real life and death, that’s true, so, yes, excellent observations in your penultimate paragraph. Like I said at one point, I hope his daughter is fine and at the same time, I hope it was a real emergency at the time. Just think it was bad luck perfect storm that it had to happen to TR bc of the past comments. I wish him and his family well, sincerely.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Anyone hung up on this needs to let it go, get a grip, move the f on (MTFO).

He’s out of the picture, and the team that is here should be the focus.

What do we gain in this ridiculous quest for the truth that some are conducting? Nada.

And how does his decision impact us? It doesn’t...or shouldn’t. If it does, then the fan has a warped perspective on pro sports.

Let it rock, let it roll, let it go.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
so hows it work against our cap if he doesnt come back??
are we still stuck with his 7mil??
I assume he would have to retire if he doesnt come back next season in which case they would get there money and cap space back. I think the best thing to do if he wants to play is expose him to the expansion draft in hopes that he is selected so Seattle can make the cap floor ala what Pittsburgh did with Fleury. I dont think he holds a lot of value to a contender because of his cap hit

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Tried to do his best for team, things arose or got worse so that it was distraction, got to the point he had to leave, all means Tuukka's a bad guy for not opting out to begin with?

Not opting out to begin with - Tuukka bad!
Opting out in the middle - Tuukka bad!
Now you are going to tell me there wouldn't be the same backlash if he opted out before playing a game?

Give me a break. That is the very definition of a lose/lose/lose scenario.
Its no different then you and others putting him in a win/win scenario. Everyone is saying because his family is involved there is no way Tuukka didnt handle the situation correctly. If there was such a delicate situation at home that was seriously distracting him for a while (people want to explain his comments after game 2 with this) then I think its fair to say that he maybe shouldnt have even been in the bubble.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Its no different then you and others putting him in a win/win scenario. Everyone is saying because his family is involved there is no way Tuukka didnt handle the situation correctly. If there was such a delicate situation at home that was seriously distracting him for a while (people want to explain his comments after game 2 with this) then I think its fair to say that he maybe shouldnt have even been in the bubble.

No win/win for me. If it came out that he lied about the family thing, he loses. You, on the other hand, give him no chance to win at all. Unless you can explain to me how Tuukka can be redeemed under your rules (without revealing any personal information that you are not entitled to)?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
No win/win for me. If it came out that he lied about the family thing, he loses. You, on the other hand, give him no chance to win at all. Unless you can explain to me how Tuukka can be redeemed under your rules (without revealing any personal information that you are not entitled to)?
I already said that if the team clarified what happened, which they did, then I would take the teams and Tuukka's word that it was a medical emergency. That's good enough for me. I wasn't comfortable with the fact earlier that the team and Rask were saying two different things about what happened

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I already said that if the team clarified what happened, which they did, then I would take the teams and Tuukka's word that it was a medical emergency. That's good enough for me. I wasn't comfortable with the fact earlier that the team and Rask were saying two different things about what happened

Then why question whether he should have even been at the bubble if the situation he was dealing with was that delicate?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Why does it matter so much to you? Honest question and not intended to be snarky. I am genuinely curious as to why this is so important.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Then why question whether he should have even been at the bubble if the situation he was dealing with was that delicate?
Because the scenario with him leaving a couple hours before a playoff game could have been avoided.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Why does it matter so much to you? Honest question and not intended to be snarky. I am genuinely curious as to why this is so important.
You don't see the problem with the team and player have contradictory reasons for his absence.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Because the scenario with him leaving a couple hours before a playoff game could have been avoided.

Why interpret it so negatively? Why not say the guy may have been distracted, but he "sucked it up" (a phrase uttered more than once by his detractors) until the situation was untenable? Why have you purposefully chosen that every scenario given paints Tuukka in a bad light?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You don't see the problem with the team and player have contradictory reasons for his absence.

That is not what I asked, though. Personally, I don't really care one way or the other and in any event, I didn't really see it as problematically contradictory so much as a reluctance to disclose private matters, perhaps things expressed differently but which meant essentially the same thing. Whatever. But I do wonder why even if you feel that it was a contradictory message, why you care so much? What is the meaning of it to you that makes it worth debating for 14 pages in a thread? And again, I am genuinely curious, not trying to be an asshole.

Reactions: jgatie and Jdavidev

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

ONE person on the team management staff had ONE SEMI-contradictory statement about his absence, which was given immediately after the announcement, and later clarified. As to the player's statement, no less than a half dozen of his teammates, former teammates, and/or media personalities verified his statement, which also jibed with the clarification by team management.

mountain --> MOLEHILL

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
That is not what I asked, though. Personally, I don't really care one way or the other and in any event, I didn't really see it as problematically contradictory so much as a reluctance to disclose private matters, perhaps things expressed differently but which meant essentially the same thing. Whatever. But I do wonder why even if you feel that it was a contradictory message, why you care so much? What is the meaning of it to you that makes it worth debating for 14 pages in a thread? And again, I am genuinely curious, not trying to be an asshole.
I guess I care because I like the team and enjoy talking about them. Why do you care that I care? Sort of the point of being on the board is to talk about the team. And if we are being honest the last series was over after game 4.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Why interpret it so negatively? Why not say the guy may have been distracted, but he "sucked it up" (a phrase uttered more than once by his detractors) until the situation was untenable? Why have you purposefully chosen that every scenario given paints Tuukka in a bad light?
Given Rasks history and the games he has bagged out, he hasnt shown a propensity to suck it up in a lot of situations

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Given Rasks history and the games he has bagged out, he hasnt shown a propensity to suck it up in a lot of situations

Yet another lose/lose.

"He never sucks it up, he's a quitter!"

Then when it can be interpreted that he did suck it up?

"He should have quit earlier!"

Do you realize how self-contradictory and foolish this looks?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I guess I care because I like the team and enjoy talking about them. Why do you care that I care? Sort of the point of being on the board is to talk about the team. And if we are being honest the last series was over after game 4.

I actually don't care that you care, was just asking why you did since you have been all over this topic for a couple of days and the threads have gotten pretty outsized. You seem to be intent on creating/perpetuating some sort of controversy here and I wondered why. If TR is really just mentally weak as you imply up above, and as a couple of other known Rask haters have suggested, what is the end goal of the discussion? Because really, we aren't talking about the team any more but a single player. There have been a lot of personal shots taken at Rask and a lot of aspersions cast on his character, some by you. I guess to the extent I care is to wonder why you and others feel the need to shit all over the guy as a person because you don't like the decision he made re: his family situation whatever it actually is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad