WEEI Tuukka Rask reveals to Greg Hill why he left Bruins

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Now that we have some new info we will reopen this thread.

Keep it civil!

Tuukka Rask reveals to Greg Hill why he left Bruins

Ever since Tuukka Rask opted out of the NHL playoffs on Saturday morning prior to the Bruins' Game 3 against the Hurricanes, there has been lots of speculation about why he did so.
Rask previously revealed in a text message to Dale Arnold that there was a family emergency, but that everything was now fine.

In a pair of phone conversations with WEEI's Greg Hill on Tuesday, Rask shared more details about what happened, and Hill relayed the contents of their conversations Wednesday morning on The Greg Hill Show. (Listen to the full segment here)

"I can tell you that he got a phone call in the bubble from his wife, because there was a medical emergency with their daughter. Basically the kind of situation where I believe Tuukka Rask did what every parent would do and was obviously very concerned. It was suggested they seek medical help.

Without revealing what that was, because I think I probably should leave that to him -- he did tell me -- as a father of two kids, I would be panicked and alarmed upon hearing that about a young kid.

"Again, without necessarily revealing what he would not want me to reveal, he did speak to his daughter and his daughter did express something to him about where he was and what her situation was, which I think would lead any father, any parent, especially one who feels like that's their most important job, parenting, to want to rush to be with their family at that time. Personally, I can't imagine being away from your family, away from your young kids, hearing your daughter say what she said, and not being panicked.

"So he made the decision to come home, and I think he knew that there was no way while that was going on that he would be the best teammate, be the best goaltender for that team that is in the middle of the Stanley Cup Playoffs."

Last edited by a moderator:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I too was skeptical of Rask's reasons for leaving because of his history. But given this info, you can't really argue against him without looking like a monster. If his daughter was gravely ill, then go be with her.

Really I'm kind of angry at Sweeney for misleading us. Him coming out and saying that it wasn't an emergency fueled most of the doubt.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
I'm grateful for all he has done for the Bruins and their fans. We have been truly blessed and hope he has more consistent and reliable years between the pipes for the Bruins.

What is considered an "emergency" to my friends and/or co-workers/employers is starkly different to what me . . .as a father, feel an "emergency" is.

If folks can't perspective-take that, Shame on you and your selfishness.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I too was skeptical of Rask's reasons for leaving because of his history. But given this info, you can't really argue against him without looking like a monster. If his daughter was gravely ill, then go be with her.

Really I'm kind of angry at Sweeney for misleading us. Him coming out and saying that it wasn't an emergency fueled most of the doubt.
Sweeney wasn't misleading at all - people who already had it out for him looked for what they wanted in his comments (not calling you out for being skeptical). IF you read what he says -"fortunately it's nothing serious" - to me says that there was an issue with his family but it isn't as serious as first thought. I posted that many times, but most people didn't see it the same way or even called me out for speculating. It is what it is, hopefully the Rask family is healthy.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I can't blame Sweeney for omitting information - or even outright lying a little bit - about Rask's situation. Especially when you look at the reason for the misdirection - it wasn't to protect the Bruins brand or to save Rask the consequence of some embarrassment. It was to shield his young daughter.

Rask owes the team his best possible performance when he's on the ice, but he does NOT owe random fans a 24/7 look into his life. If he wants to share whatever it was with his daughter that happened - that's great. If he doesn't, that's great too.

Also lost in this - I don't think he took the situation that lightly. He knows how Boston media would react - particularly certain greatest writers of all time. Every hockey player's dream is to play in the playoffs - and no matter how weird they may be, they are the playoffs. Giving that up to take care of something more important is admirable.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I can't blame Sweeney for omitting information - or even outright lying a little bit - about Rask's situation. Especially when you look at the reason for the misdirection - it wasn't to protect the Bruins brand or to save Rask the consequence of some embarrassment. It was to shield his young daughter.

Rask owes the team his best possible performance when he's on the ice, but he does NOT owe random fans a 24/7 look into his life. If he wants to share whatever it was with his daughter that happened - that's great. If he doesn't, that's great too.

Also lost in this - I don't think he took the situation that lightly. He knows how Boston media would react - particularly certain greatest writers of all time. Every hockey player's dream is to play in the playoffs - and no matter how weird they may be, they are the playoffs. Giving that up to take care of something more important is admirable.

I'll say that something admirable about Rask (perhaps frustrating to a fan) is that more than any other athlete in this town, he does not give one crap about his public image with the media. He does his own thing and doesn't owe them explanations.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I was late to the party as far as having kids go, my wife and I only have one daughter. I can’t imagine going away for months on end and not seeing her.

If something came up health wise that was concerning enough I’d have done the same thing as Rask. Throw in a pandemic and you’d have to put me in irons to keep me from going home. Especially from work.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
all the frothing at the mouth haters should be here apologizing, but Im not holding my breath there.

Not sure how anyone can fault him for going to be with his infant daughter who's in a medical emergency.
From the report it seems the emergency was not with his infant daughter. Tuukka said he spoke with her about her situation, so it must have been an older of his three girls.

Too bad this information,without getting into detail, couldn’t have been conveyed earlier Would have avoided a lot of acrimony.

Hope his daughter is recovering.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
100% support this from all sides. Best case scenario for a bad situation.

Tuukka is home with his family, and a daughter that needs him there.
The Bruins have a goalie in net who can focus more without as many distractions.

When Tuukka is on his mental game, he can be a top 5 goalie in the league. But when he's not, he's definitely not. So while not the optimal situation, I think it's the best shot we have. Tuukka playing while his head isn't there, isn't what the playoff Bruins need.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
No one is to blame here.

Rask was never to blame anyway and if you did, you're an asshole.

Sweeney is not to blame. The Bruins seem to be pretty good when it comes to communication with the media. This was the choice of the player and team of what to say. Sweeney didn't downplay anything. He clearly did what they agreed on.

Side theory:

Rask felt like he had to come out and be open about the personal situation because of all the assholes who hammered him.

So I lied.... Assholes are to blame.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I hardly ever listen to sports radio, but I did just listen to this segment on WEEI. The one host who talked to TR says TR “talked to his daughter” and then went home.

And now, Tuukka says that “everything’s fine”.

To my mind, he either high tails it back to
Toronto now, or if he doesn’t, they trade him.

Reactions: bbfan419

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think some fans can't understand the disconnect between "feels like exhibition" vs "family issue"

Both could be possible though

Reality is we will never know. And only Rask can answer to/make clear (when he returns later)

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I hardly ever listen to sports radio, but I did just listen to this segment on WEEI. The one host who talked to TR says TR “talked to his daughter” and then went home.

This is a joke. What if everything's fine now because Tuukka is there. What if he leaves and everything goes back to what it was and he has to return home again in 2 weeks because of the same thing.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Six year old’s can be tricky to deal with. I’ve had three kids. Sometimes, they think the world is ending when it’s not.

Three reporters state that DS said “there was no family emergency that TR had to rush home to”.

If I were TR, I might have requested a temporary leave, but probably not have immediately “left the team” for the remainder of the season.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Six year old’s can be tricky to deal with. I’ve had three kids. Sometimes, they think the world is ending when it’s not.

Three reporters state that DS said “there was no family emergency that TR had to rush home to”.

If I were TR, I might have requested a temporary leave, but probably not have immediately “left the team” for the remainder of the season.
Link to bolded?

member 96824

What if him leaving again makes the situation back home worse again?

And will Tuukka re-enter the bubble focused? Doubtful.

Seems the best scenario for everyone involved is for Tuukka to stay home during this time and assess when the run is over

Reactions: PhysicX and Furio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad