WEEI Tuukka Rask reveals to Greg Hill why he left Bruins

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Are there people here really questioning Tuukka’s competitiveness? Must have been watching a different player for the last decade than you.

You know, when I think of this guy, the first thing I think is uncompetitive

SeparateSpectacularHectorsdolphin-size_restricted.gif

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Are there people here really questioning Tuukka’s competitiveness? Must have been watching a different player for the last decade than you.

Yes, yes they are. And they are rolling out those same tired old baseless claims that he is mentally weak, bottles games, can't handle pressure, and can't win when it matters. And of course doing it all in the interests of being Bruins fans and wanting what is best for the team :rolleyes:

Reactions: CDJ

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
He's somehow very competitive but is quick to "tap-out" because he's mentally weak, or something.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yes, yes they are. And they are rolling out those same tired old baseless claims that he is mentally weak, bottles games, can't handle pressure, and can't win when it matters. And of course doing it all in the interests of being Bruins fans and wanting what is best for the team :rolleyes:

While simultaneously claiming that him leaving the bubble was a horribly selfish move that let down the team.

Reactions: CDJ and Dr Hook

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

its a crock of shit.
No player and I mean no player gets to this level and excels for this long without being competitive.

Mentally weak is incredibly laughable. For the same reasons. Based in fact. Achieving top tier. League and performance over long duration.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I love hockey, have played hockey for nearly 5 decades, hockey fans, Bruins fans - one of the great things beyond the game itself is that despite it being tough as hell it has the aspects of respect, team, and humility instilled more than any other sport. Please don't lose this culture.
Being frustrated and disappointed that Rask left is completely understandable but questioning his character, reasons for leaving (even the timing) or how they released information to the public over his decision is not.
The vocal minority that have piled on are embarrassing hockey fans writ large. As a hockey-loving community we're better than that.

This is basic.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i still think tuukka comes back. especially if we get to conference finals. thats is hoping that everything is ok with his family.

Larry Fitcher

Apr 12, 2019
i still think tuukka comes back. especially if we get to conference finals. thats is hoping that everything is ok with his family.
Is he allowed to return to the bubble? I imagine there would be a protocol for that. It shouldn’t be any more complicated than a negative test or a series of tests spanning a few days.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
there is a protocol in place. It covers # days quarantine plus # days of consecutive tests.

The pragmatic problem would be that the length of quarantine necessary could be 10 days with part at home - right? That's basically a whole round. So he leaves his family to rejoin the team and there's a decent chance that it's all for nil. Or it could be that whatever the family problem is could reemerge, and again, it's a useless gesture. The quarantine length could be long if - for example - Rask went to a hospital. I remember a player a week or two ago who had a kid went back home but didn't go to the hospital to reduce quarantine time. I think the kid came home to meet "dad".

Also, it was said earlier in this thread that they can do families in Edmonton for the ECF and SCF - the NHL may backing away from that.

Protocols in place for families to join NHL bubble

I saw another article today that was a little more pessimistic but I can't find it. It's not a 100% sure thing and it wouldn't be easy for the family to join the bubble.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The pragmatic problem would be that the length of quarantine necessary could be 10 days with part at home - right? That's basically a whole round. So he leaves his family to rejoin the team and there's a decent chance that it's all for nil. Or it could be that whatever the family problem is could reemerge, and again, it's a useless gesture. The quarantine length could be long if - for example - Rask went to a hospital. I remember a player a week or two ago who had a kid went back home but didn't go to the hospital to reduce quarantine time. I think the kid came home to meet "dad".

Also, it was said earlier in this thread that they can do families in Edmonton for the ECF and SCF - the NHL may backing away from that.

I saw another article today that was a little more pessimistic but I can't find it. It's not a 100% sure thing and it wouldn't be easy for the family to join the bubble.

I thought, or dreamnt it, it was 14 days.
I think KPD wrote about it.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Yeah I think I'm conflating some real-world COVID information with the bubble COVID. I think there was something about reducing quarantine time from 14 to 10 days.

Either way, if you leave, AND you go to a high-risk area, it's going to take awhile for you to get back in the bubble. Enough that it would be symbolic - much like Chara going to the bench for Game 4 of the SCF last year. Nice gesture and a strong one that may rally his teammates but one that has little practical value.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Halak or bust. Biggest jerk move ever would be to take away the starter job from Jaro after bringing this team to the conference finals because Rask decides to come back. But that’s all hypothetical & not gonna happen.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Without having read all of the comments, but ... wasn't it obvious that something like this was the case?
I mean, I really doubt Tuukka would have left the bubble because one of his kids had a nightmare or something like that.

So yeah, I think everyone of us pretty much would have done the same.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Halak or bust. Biggest jerk move ever would be to take away the starter job from Jaro after bringing this team to the conference finals because Rask decides to come back. But that’s all hypothetical & not gonna happen.
I’m on the Bruins I have 0.0 problem coming back unless of course I’m a goldfish and can’t remember Rask was arguably the best goalie in the league and the reason why he left

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Yeah I think I'm conflating some real-world COVID information with the bubble COVID. I think there was something about reducing quarantine time from 14 to 10 days.

Either way, if you leave, AND you go to a high-risk area, it's going to take awhile for you to get back in the bubble. Enough that it would be symbolic - much like Chara going to the bench for Game 4 of the SCF last year. Nice gesture and a strong one that may rally his teammates but one that has little practical value.

Lars Eller only had to quarantine for 4 days and pass 4 consecutive tests when he left for the birth of his son. Not sure if there are certain guidelines that lengthen or shorten that, but it's what happened before.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
If he decided to come back that would be great, these playoffs are Halaks now however.
I agree with this. If Jaro is playing well it is his net IMO. Having Tuukka Rask as the backup would be a nice thing to have. I wish Tuukka all the best whatever his decision is.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From NHL:

Can a player leave the secure zone and return?
A player can leave if he receives permission for medical reasons or there are extenuating circumstances such as the birth of a child, illness or death in their family, or a family event, such as a wedding. When the player returns, he will be required to quarantine in his hotel room until he has received at least four consecutive negative test results over a four-day period.
Key questions, answers on protocols in Phases 3, 4 of Return to Play Plan

Found KPD article:

Could Tuukka Rask return to the Bruins and the NHL bubble? - The Boston Globe

According to the agreement, Rask can return to Toronto at any time, but is subject to a litany of consequences including nasal-swab testing, a 14-day quarantine, refusal of access, and in the strictest case (i.e. a potential positive COVID-19 test or violation of the agreement), a dismissal.

“[There is] no real need to expand on the league’s explanation, as return to play for any player is possible as each case is reviewed by the league,” Sweeney told the Globe via email. “Return-to-play quarantine timelines are dependent on means of travel, testing, and diligent preventative measures. All [are] subject to review by [the] NHL medical director.”

So my take away is that once Canada's rules are satisfied just to re-enter the country then the NHL protocol will be followed.

My guess is must be a couple of weeks from go to on the ice best case????

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad