WEEI Tuukka Rask reveals to Greg Hill why he left Bruins

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
He shouldn't be playing hockey then if his daughter has that sort of issues going on.

I mean why is he playing this season by that logic? Something could go wrong with his daughter
By that logic why go outside when you could get hit by a car. I mean why do anything if something goes wrong. At that time he decided that going back was not worth the risk just like now he decided that playing hockey is worth the risk.

Reactions: Skelen

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
By that logic why go outside when you could get hit by a car. I mean why do anything if something goes wrong. At that time he decided that going back was not worth the risk just like now he decided that playing hockey is worth the risk.
There was no risk. He just leaves again if there is another issue

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
According to him. He may not have actually golfed but his name was on a tee sheet at a local country club. Maybe he thought better of going because of the optics. Either way his daughter was reportedly fine a day or two later, as confirmed by him and the Bruins, so it's concerning he made no effort to return to the bubble, especially after his commenta about how he didnt like it in there. Plenty of other athletes left for situations and returned.

My buddy has booked tee times under the name Don Sweeney....as you can imagine he is not Sweeney nor is that his name. It wouldn't be very hard for someone to call and give the name Tuukka Rask.

Now you'll ask why someone would do that...because Rask has been a lightning rod for years and it would be a major talking point in Boston.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
There was no risk. He just leaves again if there is another issue
There was though. What if as soon as he gets there something happens. Also he would have to quarantine for 2 weeks. What if the Bruins get knocked out before those 2 weeks were up. So the question is why should he have gone back? Why risk it?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
He shouldn't be playing hockey then if his daughter has that sort of issues going on.

I mean why is he playing this season by that logic? Something could go wrong with his daughter

so are you critical of him leaving the team then or not? maybe it's time to f***ing drop it since you're not him and it's not your kid

Reactions: jgatie and Skelen

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
According to him. He may not have actually golfed but his name was on a tee sheet at a local country club. Maybe he thought better of going because of the optics. Either way his daughter was reportedly fine a day or two later, as confirmed by him and the Bruins, so it's concerning he made no effort to return to the bubble, especially after his commenta about how he didnt like it in there. Plenty of other athletes left for situations and returned.

Define the word "fine." Outside of the Rask family, who is to say that she was "fine" enough for her father to travel across the globe to return to the bubble? Perhaps she was "fine" enough to leave the hospital, but still had issues that required the attention and care of both parents. A young child who requires an ambulance ride to be hospitalized doesn't become "fine" on your time frame. One certainly can't compare why some players left the bubble and returned with others. Each of them have their own unique set of circumstances. They are all afforded the right to make a decision that's best for their family.

Another clarification, Tuukka never said he didn't like it there. He said:

To be honest with you, it doesn’t really feel like playoff hockey. There’s no fans. It’s kind of like you’re playing an exhibition game. Obviously, there are some scrums after the whistle. I haven’t noticed that they would be targeting me or whatnot. Things happen, people falling on you and whatnot. But it’s definitely not a playoff atmosphere.

... You’re trying to play as hard as you can. Obviously, you’re playing a best of seven series so there's going to be some battles going on and whatnot. But when you play at your home rink, you play at an away rink, and there’s fans cheering for you or against you, and that creates another buzz around the series. There’s none of that, so it just feels dull at times. There are moments that, ok, there’s little scrums and what not. But then there might be five minutes and it's just coast to coast hockey and there is no atmosphere. It just feels like an exhibition game.

There's no need to put words in his mouth when he described his opinions very well. Just because you and Scott McLaughlin find them bizarre or "wrong," doesn't mean he's not entitled to his opinion.

It's time to put our priorities in order. Hockey is entertainment. Nothing more. The life and health of everyone's family are above some silly game.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
As disappointing as it was when Tuukka left ,because we had a real chance, imo, if a family member was in jeopardy then he was justified no matter what some of us might say. I went with the "he quit on the team" myself. But, after thinking about it, what about quitting on his family? I'm not going to bash Tuukka for this again.
Big Jim Murray of F&M fame wanted him gone no matter what and Mazz said they had a deal in place to trade him. He took a lot of heat, but at the end of the day he's a family man and I don't feel like he should be judged on his decision.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I too was skeptical of Rask's reasons for leaving because of his history. But given this info, you can't really argue against him without looking like a monster. If his daughter was gravely ill, then go be with her.

Really I'm kind of angry at Sweeney for misleading us. Him coming out and saying that it wasn't an emergency fueled most of the doubt.

Here’s a perspective I think some share on this, focusing on the statement “given this info, you can’t argue ...”

First, This “info” doesn’t exactly clear everything up. Second, that’s ok.

We don’t actually need ANY info to be ok, not ok, angry, approving, etc of Rask’s decision. He made a call for he and his family. Deal with it.

This isn’t life or death for us, it’s entertainment. If a fan can’t separate what’s truly critically important in our own lives vs sports entertainment, that’s an indictment on the fan’s priorities.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
For me it was the awkward interview where he said it didn’t feel like the playoffs, or however he worded everything, and then he leaves without a word.

I admitted i was wrong and it was none of my business what happened. I admit that I should have trusted the organization (if only as humans) enough that they wouldn’t let their star goalie to walk in the middle of a playoff series.

If ANYONE gets word that their child is seriously sick or in danger, they are out the door before taking their next breath

I was wrong to pass judgment on the guy without knowing the whole truth, which frankly wasn’t my truth to know in the first place. Period.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Here’s a perspective I think some share on this, focusing on the statement “given this info, you can’t argue ...”

First, This “info” doesn’t exactly clear everything up. Second, and that’s ok.

We don’t actually need ANY info to be ok, not ok, angry, approving, etc of Rask’s decision. He made a call for he and his family. Deal with it.

This isn’t life or death for us, it’s entertainment. If a fan can’t separate what’s truly critically important in our own lives vs sports entertainment, that’s an indictment on the fan’s priorities.

Exactly. Who are we to judge what a family emergency is for someone else? The f***ing balls on some fans just because they follow a team...

member 96824

The timing was so weird after his comments the night before. I was wrong on Rask, I appreciate him sharing the reasons and clearing the air on that.

Don Sweeney really did the guy an incredible incredible disservice with his comments after the decision, which were nearly 100% in conflict with what actually happened.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We've all said something dumb or mispoke. Rask had the misfortune to do so before something terrifying happened to his daughter and internet trolls are roasting him for it.

The fact that we get to enter a contract year with a top 5 NHL goalie and don't have to commit 5 years 50+ mil to him before it like we normally would should be cause to rejoice.

Reactions: CDJ

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I too was skeptical of Rask's reasons for leaving because of his history. But given this info, you can't really argue against him without looking like a monster. If his daughter was gravely ill, then go be with her.

Really I'm kind of angry at Sweeney for misleading us. Him coming out and saying that it wasn't an emergency fueled most of the doubt.
Any Parent will do what he did

Reactions: LSCII

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
we're still a few mea culpas short... there's a couple out there that really ought to be seen before the posters can be taken seriously. I'm not going to hold my breath though

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
If that's what happened then there is really no argument to be made here. Something happens to your daughter you get out of there that milisecond.
I just wish they were a little bit more honest and upfront when things actually happen so we dont have to deal with all the BS. Not that they have to, but it would certainly do everyone some good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad