WEEI Tuukka Rask reveals to Greg Hill why he left Bruins

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m 100% in Rask camp from day 1 he got here and why he left Bubble

also I expect an extension sooner rather than later

2/12????

I talked to Dom yesterday and forgot to ask him about an extension now and the expansion ramifications

I’ll check in with him this weekend

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Why are people quoting three month old posts all of a sudden?

Thread was locked because people couldn't stop themselves from being clowns about this topic. Since there was an addition to the story, it was reopened and people started responding, most likely not realizing they quoted a post from back when it happened.

Reactions: DKH

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I’m 100% in Rask camp from day 1 he got here and why he left Bubble

also I expect an extension sooner rather than later

2/12????

I talked to Dom yesterday and forgot to ask him about an extension now and the expansion ramifications

I’ll check in with him this weekend

Negotiations on an extension have begun. The hope is that it gets done before the season begins. Neither side wants to go into the season and negotiate. Sounds like a 3 year deal is where both sides are comfortable.

As for the expansion draft, it means Rask gets protected and Vladar will be exposed.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Here's what I think. These are my opinions.

Tuukka left the bubble when his daughter needed medical help.

He wanted to return when things with her got better quickly. Didn't want to be a distraction to the team so didn't return.

I don't fault him at all for doing what he did. Maybe at the time I was disappointed and the comments the day before didn't help.

I'm hoping with playing games in the home rink and travel somewhat like normal his head will be in a better space.

I have 2 daughters. I would give my life for both.

I would also welcome a new contract for him. As DKH said, 2/$12 works for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gee Wally

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Social media and talk radio give people who really don't have anything of value to contribute a perfect venue to spew shit.

Rask felt, as a father and husband, he needed to be with his family. End of story.

I respect his right to make his own decisions about his own family. It's not my place to judge or comment. It literally means f*** all what I think or feel about the situation.

Note to those who feel they need to comment on Rask's decision -- it's not about you. Never was and never will be. On this topic, your opinions are irrelevant. Completely and totally irrelevant. Therefore, might as well keep ém to yourself.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
This site isn't currently available in the EU :rolleyes:
Here are a few excerpts. Unfortunately, there are a few key points from the audio that aren’t included in the article.

After the Bruins’ Game 2 loss to Carolina in the first round of the playoffs, Rask said it felt more “like an exhibition game” than a playoff game and that he was “just trying to have fun” and “not stressing too much about results.”

Rask said he regrets making those comments.

“A hundred percent,” Rask said. “I think my issue sometimes is I just tend to be a little too honest. I might have to use a filter a little bit more. Obviously that probably just goes to show what my mindset was at that time, and I probably could have chosen my words better. But it is what it is. It’s behind us now and we’re focused on the new season.

“Obviously it was so much different because there were no fans,” he added. “They try to pump the crowd noise in there, but it’s all mechanical. It’s different, but listen, we’re professionals. I shouldn’t be complaining about that. Just play hockey. The situation is what it is. It’s going to be the same this year, at least at the start. At least now I guess we’re used to it. I won’t be complaining about that, I’ll tell you that.”

Another question Rask hadn’t really addressed yet was whether he ever considered returning to the bubble if or when his family situation was taken care of. Asked about that possibility by Jermaine Wiggins, Rask said he never even got that far.

“I don’t think I ever even got that far to think about it,” Rask said. “The games ended a couple weeks after I came home. But I think the thing for me is that there was no plan from the league, no real plan, to allow families to enter the bubble. It was almost impossible for anybody to come there. So for me to leave my family again and possibly go through the same situation, I don’t think that made any sense. So that was probably something that I thought about.”

Reactions: Sevendust

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
That's a good point that Rask made to Wiggins - the NHL heavily touted that family would be able to come into the Edmonton bubble once we got down to the Conference Finals. In contrast to the NBA, where they even had a "school" set up for the players' kids, that decidedly did NOT happen in Edmonton.

Timing-wise, if Rask were to have been allowed to reenter the bubble, it would make sense to wait until Edmonton. Like everyone else, I don't know what happened with his daughter or how long it lasted, but it's reasonable to assume that that he'd need a good week or so, only leaving a max of 1 or 2 games playable even under normal circumstances, without quarantine restrictions. Add to that travel logistics, quarantine restrictions, a good backup goalie, and a few extra days to make sure whatever happened with his daughter was truly settled...and it's a no-brainer.

And, add to that Rask probably learning that the NHL's ultimate decision was not to let families in Edmonton...and that's the nail in the coffin. If his family could come, at least his daughter would literally be right there if something else happened.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
crickets from those who called him a quitter and horrific teammate thus far?
If you haven't noticed those posters haven't posted pretty much all offseason (thankfully) - there's been nothing new for them to shit on.

Doubt they backtrack either way.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I never get why people want to trade Rask and Carlo. Top goalie and top are hard to find and afford

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Negotiations on an extension have begun. The hope is that it gets done before the season begins. Neither side wants to go into the season and negotiate. Sounds like a 3 year deal is where both sides are comfortable.

As for the expansion draft, it means Rask gets protected and Vladar will be exposed.
Ok that’s what I was looking for

Reactions: RustyBruins72

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
If you haven't noticed those posters haven't posted pretty much all offseason (thankfully) - there's been nothing new for them to shit on.

Doubt they backtrack either way.
I shat on him at the time but I understand quitting on the team vs quitting on his family. He made the right choice. I want him signed for three years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad