Confirmed with Link: Tuukka has left the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Guy literally had a baby a month and a half ago. That’s all that should need to be said.

He should have stayed home. Apparently according to BSJ the family is fine. What changed other than the playoffs started and he was clearly unhappy? His heart wasn't in it for whatever reason. But tying this decision to his new born is pure speculation especially since there's apparently a quote out there from Sweeney that the family is fine.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
It's be nice if these media people would post Sweeney's full comment, not just the blurb about his family being okay.

THAT is the more compelling quote.

He obviously is dealing with some mental health issues from being away from the family. I get it.

Don't damn the guy because he prioritizes his f***ing family over his job. Im pretty sure everyone here who has kids would do the exact same if they felt they needed to.

Some of these responses are truly pathetic.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
What a strange ending to the Rask era in Boston. Never a huge fan, but when he was dialed in he was supreme. Outside of the Leafs, struggled in elimination games. Halak is now the man, he is more then capable of doing the job.

Reactions: 13Hockey

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Exactly

HE QUIT

imagine Chara, Bergeron Marchand Krejci right now I can’t imagine how pissed they are

bergeron literally risked his life in 2013 to win a cup and Tuukka just says nah I’m good

Hi, we're in a pandemic. Not sure if you remember. 2013 was not a pandemic situation. And he didnt have 3 kids, one of which is a newborn.

Reactions: CDJ

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
He, and his family, thought he could do it... but can't. I think that's very understandable.

Sure but at some point the team has to move on. He needs to do whats best for himself and the Bruins need to do whats best for them. He's been unreliable for a while now.

Reactions: lopey

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
If there is more to the story which is very very possible you simply don't come out with the stupid ass comments he did. This is what is making him look bad and quitting on his team .

The comments really aren't true as far as most the players go . I see total playoff intensity and excitement from the players .

Last edited:
Reactions: Oates2Neely

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
The only "blacklash" he got for wearing a Boston Police hat, were from morons on twitter who want to divide us. You can support police and want some reform contrary to popular belief. Nobody in the local media here cared.
And him supporting BPD is not a final straw.

I'm not making a political comment. I'm saying getting attention for something like that when you're already away from your family and unhappy can definitely be a factor in wanting to leave. Obviously I have no idea and neither do you. I'm just speculating.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
He should have stayed home. Apparently according to BSJ the family is fine. What changed other than the playoffs started and he was clearly unhappy? His heart wasn't in it for whatever reason. But tying this decision to his new born is pure speculation especially since there's apparently a quote out there from Sweeney that the family is fine.

Well, he gave an honest interview post game and was slaughtered by the media, and worse, his fans.

That easily could push someone who is clearly family first over the edge.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
lol

You’re just mad because he values his newborn baby over a joke of a season because you’re a fan, and that’s pathetic that you can’t look at it on a human level
exactly. I'm astounded at the attitude displayed by so many here that the players are somehow beholden to them personally. That it's somehow bad that a father place his family above playing a game for their entertainment at this time. I can't put myself into that frame of mind, it's incredibly depressing.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
As a fan, I'm mad. I think Rask is an elite goalie and without him, I don't see them going far. I don't like how this happened hours before game time and 2 games into a series. Also, not a good look as he has done this other times, but the circumstances of those times obviously different.

As a human, I'm not upset as I get it with this shitty situation the world is in right now. We also have zero clue what's going on at home for him.

I'm sure I'll anger some with this take but won't be the first and won't be the last haha
I was coming onto your board to say the same thing. We presume to understand what's going on with someone else, but we rarely do. Rask isn't a rookie -- he has a dozen years under his belt playing at the highest level. He's earned the right to have his tough decision respected. Tough break for the Bruins, but Halak is probably the best backup/1B goalie in the league.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Guy literally had a baby a month and a half ago. That’s all that should need to be said.

Is he the only NHLer that has? Are they all opting out? How many have special needs children at home that are still continuing to play? Again, he's not the only one giving up a ton to play.. His choice and I respect it, but maybe all these guys should do the same?

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Come on with all the bad look crap. There is more to life than a look, and you know aboslutely nothing about the situation to say something stupid like that. How about we wait to see what happened (if we ever do know) before throwing out any idea of what it "reeks of"

it can reek of anything I feel it reeks of, you can have your opinion just like mine

I’m not asserting I know exactly why he left, and I do think family is more important than hockey. But given some of his attitude issues in the past and the TIMING of this decision, it’s not a good look. And I’m a pretty rational fan so...like I said, the wolves will be out

Edit: Dale Arnold claims it’s for a family emergency and certainly in that case I wish him well and hope the boys win it for him

Last edited:
Reactions: minpind and lopey

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
To the people who are worried that “something is wrong”. Not the vibe I am getting at all. Given Tuukka’s comments over the last year or so, I think it is more like a guy who is truly contemplating how much longer he wants to commit his life to professional hockey. Regardless of how I feel about him “bailing”, I am not going to be too upset over a guy opting out when he knows his head is not in the game. No matter how good the goalie, I don’t want a “half there” Tuukka Rask in net. Give me a dialed in Halak any day.

Coaches, team, fans just have to deal with it and management can do the work of seeing where Tuukka’s head is at for the long run. In the meantime, it’s an opportunity for Halak and a new wrinkle in what really is one big crazy experiment. I didn’t expect to get through all of this without some big curveballs and this is one of those.

Reactions: minpind and lopey

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Don Sweeney said that . He’s he misinterpreted. I’m don’t understand

Well just based on Sweeney's statement we can probably assume that there isn't some sort of medical emergency going on. Which doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of other valid reasons for Tuuka to feel this is necessary and probably more important than his job right now.

Because this is a job. Fans pretty much don't see it that way, but the players do. It's work, and if this was Phil from sales pulling out just before a huge presentation to land the company's biggest ever client, people would be a lot more forgiving.

Reactions: 4Orr and Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I'm not making a political comment. I'm saying getting attention for something like that when you're already away from your family and unhappy can definitely be a factor in wanting to leave. Obviously I have no idea and neither do you. I'm just speculating.

He didnt even get massive attention. Some people tried it. But it was squashed. Marchand tweeted about it. This is a total non factor, imo.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
According to Sweeney his family is safe and healthy.. Sounds like Dad wanted to be home...while the rest of the team is sacrificing their family time to play. We don't walk in his shoes so we really can't judge, but again, so many players are giving up so much to play, you have to wonder how it goes over in the room.
Easy to cast judgement on my part... BUT.. his family is safe. He’s a millionaire I assume his wife isn’t working 9-to-5 to make a living. I’m out here working daily to make a living, as is my wife. Social distancing etc etc. Not sure what a newborn baby has to do with anything.

As you said, all of his teammates are sacrificing family time. Rask flat out just quit on his team. This reeks. I‘ve defended him for years now, always thought he was misunderstood. I think I’m officially off the Tuukka train.

Reactions: BTO and lopey

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I hope this is a medical reason, something like that around his family... because damn. He was with his family during 4 month earlier in april/march/may ... thats insane

Or it changed his perspective on what's important, he loves his family/wife and wants to spend time with them while things are dark. That's really not insane.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Is he the only NHLer that has? Are they all opting out? How many have special needs children at home that are still continuing to play? Again, he's not the only one giving up a ton to play.. His choice and I respect it, but maybe all these guys should do the same?

Other people’s experience is completely irrelevant when talking about HIS experience with HIS family and HIS newborn and HIS moral code (which imo is in the right place)

Plus we know he has mental health issues. So other peoples experience matters 0%

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
What a strange ending to the Rask era in Boston. Never a huge fan, but when he was dialed in he was supreme. Outside of the Leafs, struggled in elimination games. Halak is now the man, he is more then capable of doing the job.
No I understand what your are saying but Tuukka is a better goalie . I don’t deny that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad