Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This thread is chilling.

Someone doesn't deserve empathy because he has money?

Of course they do.

I would say, Rask has been very well recompensed through the years, and has always had superb defense in front of him.

When I first heard about this -- from Avalanche fans in CO where I work -- I was stunned. Frankly, all goaltenders are, well goaltenders, and they're a different bird.

Tuukka has been known to mysteriously come down with "something" at crucial times. I have been critical of his role, among many others, in coming up short twice in the finals.

It's fair to question his committment to the game and to his teammates.

It's unfair to assume X, Y & Z about his motives, which remain a mystery to all.

I take him, management and those in the locker room at their word.

He needed to leave. He wasn't focused. Family first? Sounds right to me

Finally, I am not necessarily a fan, but give the guy a break. We don't know what's in his heart, or his head.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The issue is that “get to care about your family” is entirely ambiguous and a matter of interpretation that leads to a slippery slope. Players at his level have a degree of responsibility to the team and fans. The French call it “noblesse oblige’”.

Serious, immediate physical malady might excuse it but Tuukka’s talk about this atmosphere just not having the right playoff vibe pretty much indicates that his rationale is probably something less than extremis.

He has let the team down, the city down and the fans down, as I see it, given existing evidence.

Unless and until I see otherwise, this will be an unforgivable offense in my mind and this player should not remain a Bruin henceforth.

Not that I agree with his 100 percent but I can see how xoneone would have that opinion. I’m not sure why “this isn’t allowed” and met with name calling or assault on ones morality.

Reactions: minpind

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
And I won’t if you don’t consider net worth or salary.

Would you offer similar employment advice to a 16 year old quitting 7/11 and a CEO quitting a Fortune 500 company?

Give me a break man, your question is absurd. It also excludes notions of fairness amongst partners, I would have a fair discussion with my wife, but your parameters have me excluding net worth or liabilities.

Quit it with your hypotheticals and talk about Rask.

You claimed the Bruins should violate his contract for him doing something the contract specifically allowed him to do. I asked if that type of violation would be acceptable to you if you did the same? You refuse to answer.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
So the player has, according to the agreement you cited,the right to quit after agreeing to participate, then come back at his whim and the team has no say in the matter?

I dont know what the team says or doesnt.
Imjust telling you what was agreed upon to resume as well as extend the current CBA and freeze the Cap.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Money does matter

A place like mcdonalds has people quitting every week because its a crap job that pays nothing. If you dont like it you can get another

A hospitals heart surgury department has more dedicated professionals who dont phone in sick monday with a hangover because those jobs are much more prized... pay better

We all face this reality that when we get a great job we need to treat it more important than we would treat a crappy job

Now entertainment is a special catagory. To be paid as an entertainer you must form a social contract with the fans

If fans dont care about you... you dont get paid

Athletes who play lacross dont get paid because no one cares

Woman hockey players

Badminton and handball players

Special olympics

Pole vaulters and hoolahoopers

Unless you can sell 1000s of tickets to watch you, you will never make much money. And fans want to hero worship you. When we care about you we want to cheer your future accomplishments

Like it or not... athletes are role models. I play sports myself but that doesnt make me a role model. Getting millions of dollars from fans is what makes you a role model

Eventually all entertainers disappear. Many retire. Some hate the spotlight and retire early. Thats their right.

Being an entertainer isnt a requirement or even a right. Its a priveledge that many want and will never have

No one needs to be forced to do this job but if they decide to quit they must give up the money

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
You claimed the Bruins should violate his contract for him doing something the contract specifically allowed him to do. I asked if that type of violation would be acceptable to you if you did the same? You refuse to answer.
No I said he should cancel it if the Bruins were amenable.

I expect him to void it, I’d expect the Bruins to okay it.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
So the answer is you would expect the boss to honor the contract. Thanks for playing.
Insane man, enjoy life defending millionaires, I’m sure they’ll appreciate it.

Your hypothetical is meaningless, your argument baseless, and I’ll keep playing for people making $10 an hour, you can keep an eye on guys making $10k an hour.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If you can retire you’re effectively screwing any notion of a “scale” that all of us abide by.

Please include that in your judgment of empathy.

My boss could have retired 30 years ago....he’s loaded.... he also woke up 30 years ago to his nine month old baby passed away in her crib. Guess I should have gotten on him about taking two weeks off after that

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
KPD was very respectful of Tuukka in his article.

Yes, he was. But I wonder how respectful he would be if Rask wasn't ammenable to KPD. I doubt much. The latter might admit Rask's excellence while trashing him on the way out of town.

KPD and CHB are past masters at this. They sold their souls, at least professionally, a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln