TSN's Top 50 Player Rankings

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Its a BS “excuse”, it basically

1. Assigns hypothetical pp points to Matthews. “If he got the mins, he would definitely get more pp points.”, thats pretty unfair to players who did get those points.
2. Asserts ES goals mean more than PP goals, which is not true.

Interesting fact about ES defensive plays though. But it doesnt really tell me what they mean or if the next 20 highest were 8.2

it doesn't assign anything to anyone.

It simply doesn't bother pretending that other players have to be better because their coach gives them more PP time.

Reactions: Max Money

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
it doesn't assign anything to anyone.

It simply doesn't bother pretending that other players have to be better because their coach gives them more PP time.

It pretends that the contribution of other players on their extra pp time doesn't exist.

Reactions: dukeofjive

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Talk to me when they give out the Art Ross to best (whatever arbitrary criteria you come up with).

Im gonna guess, most points in a season (including hypothetical pp points if only every player play in the exact same situations).

you're right, any best player list should just be a list of the point leaders.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Did i state my criteria? No i didnt.

There is no criteria, based on last season, that puts Matthews anywhere near Mack or above Hall.
TSN Also takes into account a players projection for the upcoming season. So if they think Matthews can score 45 goals which is very likely to happen, it's one reason why he's ranked #8.

Reactions: Zrinski

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Matthews is definitely too high given there are better players ranked below him but the real head scratcher is MacKinnon being ranked 3rd best in the league after one great year. If he jumps to 3 surely Hall who has a better track record and had a better season last year should jump up ahead of him?

I’ll also throw in a homer comment and say Getzlaf is far too low. He missed games last year but was at a 90 point pace and is still an absolutely dominant force for the Ducks. There are a good 10 players ahead of him who I don’t know how you can rank higher than him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It does do him good, never said i dont value some goals. But hes also never scored 70 points. Thats also a fact that needs to be considered.
Prior to last season no one called Nathan MacKinnon a Hart Trophy candidate and it doesn't mean he will put up those same numbers once again.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
TSN Also takes into account a players projection for the upcoming season. So if they think Matthews can score 45 goals which is very likely to happen, it's one reason why he's ranked #8.

Thats fair. If he scores 45 with like 50 assists, he indeed belongs in the top 8, i can agree to that. But matthews actually have to do it.

And no zeke, him scoring 95 still doesnt put him at macdavid level (who might pace 110).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin at 12 and Backstrom at 36? Though I admit that Ovechkin at 22 after a 50 goal Rocket Richard season seems....

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

Who’s more likely to score 45 goals, Ovechkin or Matthews?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Matthews is definitely too high given there are better players ranked below him but the real head scratcher is MacKinnon being ranked 3rd best in the league after one great year. If he jumps to 3 surely Hall who has a better track record and had a better season last year should jump up ahead of him?
Agreed that’s premature and shouldn’t probably be top 10 yet but I firmly believe that he pick up where he left off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad