TSN's Top 50 Player Rankings

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
This thread is more about Leafs ruining it with acting like victims, than the people complaining about Matthews.

Hilarious.

Posts about Leaf persecution:actual persecution

.... Approx 4:1 in this thread lol

Matthews wasn't a top 15 player in any significant category besides goals per game, he doesn't PK or bring exceptional intangibles, he sucked in the playoffs.... he will need to take a huge step forward as others regress in order to justify that position... and yet there were 5 posts complaining about people complaining about Matthews ranking before anyone actually did so.

The persecution must end!

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
MacKinnon Over Malkin. Jesus Christ.. Mackinnon has one good year, and Hockey fools put him above Malkin . Crazy

And Malkin had a fantastic season which makes it even crazier.

Also how many goal scoring titles does a guy have to win before he gets even a modicum of respect from Canadian writers?

But I am 100% sure it's not a Russian thing.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Mackinnon is WAY too high. Dude explodes for 1, albeit amazing, season after years of 55-65 point play and suddenly he's top 3?

No dice.

Seriously. Hall exploded for an amazing season too and has historically better stats. The hell did Mackinnon do to be 6 places better? I dunno man.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
not much separating many of the guys after the top-15 or so. completely subjective once you've identified the true super-stars, and is subject to wild swings year-to-year based on recent performance. but it creates discussion and page-views, so mission accomplished.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Here is something people should remember for those who don't agree with Matthews placement on the list.

Prior to Connor McDavid's rookie season TSN ranked him at #37 in 2015. So why did he even make the list since he had not played an NHL game yet compared to other players who just missed and were already established NHL players.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Here is something people should remember for those who don't agree with Matthews placement on the list.

Prior to Connor McDavid's rookie season TSN ranked him at #37 in 2015. So why did he even make the list since he had not played an NHL game yet compared to other players who just missed and were already established NHL players.
Because nothing in McDavid's pedigree pointed to anything other than him being a generational talent. And he's backed that up year after year.

Can't say the same for Matthews.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
This thread is more about Leafs fans ruining it with acting like victims, than the people complaining about Matthews. Hilarious.
Oh? Let’s check...

Matthews and Tavares both ahead of Barkov. Very interesting...

Kessel seems a bit low, Matthews definitely too high. Guess the Toronto factor makes him better than last seasons Hart and Selke winner (who also outproduced him), as well as an annual Norris candidate

Are the guys at TSN just going to continue to pretend that Bergeron didn't dominate Matthews in the playoffs? Must be some kind of regular season ranking.

That Matthews ranking lol.. YIKES

Matthews about 20 places too high. Classic TSN.

LOL Matthews.

I swear TSN and co do this **** just to see the social media outcry.

Definitely about 10 places too high for Matthews.

Matthews 8 JFL. Did the entire TOR area give them a collective *******?
lol

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
nope...repeat last season and maybe he's that high on the 50 players list
The question I answered was who would I take right now... Malkin or MacKinnon. Right now, I'd take MacKinnon. He's just entering his prime, he came off of a monster season, and yes, I expect him to repeat his success (lest he proves me wrong).

Malkin had a great season at his age, but every game he plays, it's a toss up who faces the other team's top checking line and defensive pairing - him or Sid (I'd guess Sid). You know MacKinnon faces the other team's best game in and game out.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
People complaining about Matthews being #8 is confusing to me. Really shows the amount of people that don’t watch him. He does so much more than put up goals and points. You really got to watch him to appreciate it. #8 is the correct spot for him right now, he may be even higher next season.

No one on the first page complained, just Leaf fans complaining about phantom complainers.

Kind of amusing.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because nothing in McDavid's pedigree pointed to anything other than him being a generational talent. And he's backed that up year after year.

Can't say the same for Matthews.
My point is no rookie even with the talent and hype of McDavid never made the list before playing their first NHL game. If McDavid had been drafted by the Leafs you would be fine with him being on the list at that time? Other people didn't like Matthews being ranked #10 last year and at least it was based off what he did in the NHL during his rookie season after playing in the games.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Oh this is delicious.

Love it! I would love to discuss the list, but without fail, the entire discussion will be about Matthews and Marner being too high.

tenor.gif

Steeze

Dazed Dilettante.
Jul 23, 2015
I'm so sick of these lists. Can't we switch it up from time to time, maybe get a nice pie chart, or scatter plot, or venn diagram, or line chart, or histogram, or flow chart, or just stand in a circle and scream our favourite players name out loud until we pass out.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
But they had Marner ahead of Hall and Mackinnon last year, so it's not like anyone should take this list seriously.

They were both coming off 53 point seasons (only 72 games for Hall). A lot of players were ahead of them. Not everything is a Leafs conspiracy, jesus.

Reactions: Max Money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad