TSN Overdrive and other Toronto Sports Media V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I was listening to Leafs Lunch yesterday. Is Mike Johnson the guy who was constantly talking over Andi, trying to get her to say something she didn't want to say? I hope not. I really like him but I don't want another shouter a la Doug MacLean or Nick Kyprios.
Yes. I like Mike Johnson, but he can be a bit overbearing and contrarian at times.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Totally ok to point out their hypocrisy. Also totally ok to wish radio personalities would stick to their strengths.
Wishing something and saying that someone absolutely cannot say something are totally different things.
I too wish sports folks would leave politics out of it but it has kinda invaded every facet of life. You can't even watch a Marvel movie without it being rammed down your throat.

In a lot of cases I like it and prefer they talk about things other than just sports.
I know a guy that covers a US college and they constantly get email/texts/tweets from fans asking them to stick to college sports on their podcast, however, the number of downloads they have when they branch into other topics versus staying locked in to their team is more than 5:1.

Reactions: The Apologist

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I was listening to Leafs Lunch yesterday. Is Mike Johnson the guy who was constantly talking over Andi, trying to get her to say something she didn't want to say? I hope not. I really like him but I don't want another shouter a la Doug MacLean or Nick Kyprios.
Andi was being Ditzy Andi, so.....

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Whichever executive decided it was a good idea to replace Bob McCown with the gong show screaming idiots that are Tim and Sid should be fired.

I will never tune in to that show. I tried.
Sid is the screaming idiot Mr. Hyde while Tim is the alter-ego Dr Jekyll.

I used to watch their show but when Sid went off on his rants, trying his act which is basically a cheap Steven A. Smith impersonation, I had to change the channel. Now I can't even stand the sound of his voice and and have to change the channel/station right away. Maybe to children his act is funny, but not to anybody with half a brain.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Different times. Rogers wants more young people tuning in and that's what Tim and Sid bring. I like listening to Bobcat as well, but he's not going to bring in the viewers.

I'm a somewhat younger person myself and I think they are hilarious. They are a great for entertainment, and Tim actually brings a better analysis than majority of others. He's fantastic. Sid is obviously there for the hot takes and I can see why some people are turned off by him, but unlike other "hot take" analysts, he actually brings some comedy and entertainment.

You're definition of comedy is far different than mine

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017

Not going to lie, it was a bit refreshing to have somebody actually challenge her talking points, be it a bit aggressive. There was a lot of negativity being spun yesterday after the Ovi comments, and I am glad as hell that somebody actually challenged her to validate the shit she was perpetuating as an influencer.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I get your point, but this is something I never really understood. I get my comedy watching stand-ups, comedy movies and series, spending time with some hilarious people. I don't need my hockey discussions to be hilarious. I want them to be meaningful and thoughtful and as far away from unsubstantiated hot takes as possible. That's a rare find though.
Yeah, that's totally fair. There really is good discussion on the show though, despite what people say. It is mixed in with a lot of nonsense/comedy, so most people don't want to sit through that, and I get it.

For me, if I watch it, its on when I get home so I'm tired and want to relax and the mix of comedy and sports is perfect. Its also something you can have on in the background while doing something else because you don't have to focus real hard during the stupid comedy parts, while really tuning in to the sports discussion when they have them. There is no avoiding Sid though so you have to have patience for that.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
You're definition of comedy is far different than mine
Fair enough. Everyone has different tastes in comedy. But the fact is, they have been a great duo for a very long time and bring in lots of viewers. Just because the hardcore hockey fans don't want to listen to them, doesn't mean the average fan doesn't. And in my opinion, mixing the comedic aspect with sports is a great way to attract new fans or at least get them interested/listening.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If I am in my car by myself going to a lunch mtg and want a chuckle then I listen but otherwise don't waste your time. There is nothing to be learned. It is all entertainment value and what makes you laugh. Better put on a good Sirius station and music.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't really get the chance to listen to Leafs Lunch, but is it always like this?

In the 1st hour, so far, topics discussed include:

• Andi going dress shopping with her mom
  • Andi not liking being called a mature woman
  • Andi's husband never cleans around the house
  • Poulin likes chocolate after it's been in the fridge.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
I don't really get the chance to listen to Leafs Lunch, but is it always like this?

I used to put my Easter chocolate in the freezer. Tasted amazing that way!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Always

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
In a lot of cases I like it and prefer they talk about things other than just sports.
I know a guy that covers a US college and they constantly get email/texts/tweets from fans asking them to stick to college sports on their podcast, however, the number of downloads they have when they branch into other topics versus staying locked in to their team is more than 5:1.
I can see that. Nothing wrong with someone else not liking it though. It's their perogative to dislike it and say so as long as they understand that their opinion is just that.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Speak for yourself.

Bob offered a point of view that no one else in the Toronto sports media did.

He didnt care about the day to day minutae of the teams. That wasnt the point of his show. He also had no time for athletes who couldnt say anything besides "pucks in deep" or "you know". Theres enough of that on the other shows. Bob's show was unique and had its place.

Completely agree. Bobcat brought a completely different element to Toronto sports radio that no one comes close to now and probably never will again. Been only a few mere months, but his absence is completely noticeable. I can't listen to sports radio anymore besides a couple minutes. It all stinks.

As for Tim & Sid. I don't get the wide dislike. They are like the OverDrive guys, but with a way greater overall sporting knowledge.

Reactions: JerseyMike34

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Completely agree. Bobcat brought a completely different element to Toronto sports radio that no one comes close to now and probably never will again. Been only a few mere months, but his absence is completely noticeable. I can't listen to sports radio anymore besides a couple minutes. It all stinks.

As for Tim & Sid. I don't get the wide dislike. They are like the OverDrive guys, but with a way greater overall sporting knowledge.

Bob added the same kinda thing that Dave Hodge added. The problem is, that both don't watch as much sports as a younger 30 something broadcaster, they don't know the nuances of the sports they were supposed to discuss anymore. The people that they had as long time friends are all retired or dead, they don't have the little birdie on the inside (for the most part).

And I'm a fan of both, but it's time to move on from them, it's painfully obvious when either would bring up a comparison to something from the 1986 - news flash - the majority of people you're marketing to, wasn't alive then.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
Noodles will get on my nerves in no time but it was nice having the gang back on. I enjoyed the third hour with LeBrun. Been a while since I’ve heard some good hockey talk.
I like Johnson when he fills in. But, the show lacks when one of the three are gone.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
That’d be fine but the athletes make political statements all the time. Sometimes it’s ok to point out their hypocrisies
That's a bit of a problem too, especially when its made on the basis of ignorance. Ultimately, not a ton of athletes make political statements anyway , so I'm more talking about bringing in politics just for the sake of it, which is annoying. I want to know why a team is struggling, how a team plays, , who beat who the previous night, not what the "journalists" political belief is. A lot of these "journalists" make it seem like its some sort of lifes pledge to inject their politics into any random discussion they have. It's like they can't do without it. There's also a bigger problem that isn't just in sports too, but I'll leave that for another discussion

I've kind of helped derail things a little here, so I'll stop with the responses lol

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
O dogs middle name is Gerry. I just found this out and now it's gone all meta on me.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Absolute death. Even Kyper had a better show.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Are hockey shows better when there are some actual ex players?

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013

Didn't Rogers pay billions for the rights to the American Association of US Ice Hockey Teams rights in Canada?
Isn't Rogers taking an absolute bath?
Isn't the American Association of US Ice Hockey Teams actively perusing a US TV deal to get off gate- dependence for survival of sunbelt and Dixie NASCAR area teams?
Doesn't the American Association of US Ice Hockey Teams have an overwhelming interest to show the US networks they need not fear a Canadian Stanley Cup?
They had to get rid of Bob to hammer down costs.
Nation wide simulcast on TV and radio hammers down a lot of costs.
I have a day job so I do not know, but I bet Rogers is definitely smart enough to hammer down costs, share programming over the network as much as possible to do so, and have their shows promote what they will be showing later- spend a disproportionate time not on what happened in the past but what exciting thing we can watch if we tune in, etc. ?

So the point is this- Rogers killed Bob so that they could save the money they had to pay him and so that they could simulcast Tim and Sid nationwide on both the TV and radio networks and the reason why is because Rogers is getting decapitated on its American Association of US Ice Hockey Teams TV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad