TSN Overdrive and other Toronto Sports Media V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Let's be honest rogers has a shit ton of money. It's not like they have to fire all these guys. It doesn't make sense .

It's boardroom crap. People who are removed from the pulse of the street.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Sportsnet is really going the scorched earth route.

I think McCown, Kypreos and MacLean should start their own program. I would tune in for sure.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It is interesting though how most of the expensive guys except Cherry all gone. But agree with you Rogers has too much money. Personally I think they gave too much credit/penalty to the on air staff. People, if not at game themselves, will tune into the Leafs and stay with them as long as they are in playoffs. The landscape has changed and people from Toronto now cheer for Toronto teams, not hockey in general, and they can, and did, switch over on masse to the Raptors. No on air personality is going to change the new dynamic. But I guess as another poster mentioned going with cheaper people on air decreases the losses that little bit more. But bigger issue was Bettman screwed over Rogers on the Canadian hockey deal. So it becomes almost impossible over the regular season to make money. They need Leafs, Habs, Jets and Canucks to make playoff runs.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Rogers Media, as with other divisions at Rogers, would have their financial performance measured separately from the rest of the company. If Rogers Media isn't as profitable as it should be, then they have to make cost cutting decisions. How profitable Wireless or other divisions might be has no impact on Rogers Media decisions.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Rogers Media, as with other divisions at Rogers, would have their financial performance measured separately from the rest of the company. If Rogers Media isn't as profitable as it should be, then they have to make cost cutting decisions. How profitable Wireless or other divisions might be has no impact on Rogers Media decisions.

Exactly!

Not to mention that there's revolutionary shift in broadcast away from cable tv type subscription to internet based revenue models, they made a bad bet!

If anyone could have predicted the trend, it should have been them.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’d like to see Rogers sell their sports interests so the Leafs and Jays could be under one umbrella. Then Build a new baseball and hockey complex at the same location.
Keep basketball in the same place or move them to Hamilton or just sell them off.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I’d like to see Rogers sell their sports interests so the Leafs and Jays could be under one umbrella. Then Build a new baseball and hockey complex at the same location.
Keep basketball in the same place or move them to Hamilton or just sell them off.
It does not make any sense with synergies with same arena and same ownership. How da hell are they gonna say arena sponsorships are not Raptors or Leafs based but arena based? You are talking about a sizable amount of $$$ here. and based on current hockey CBA HRR the Raps are required. It is Leafs best way to screw over the players. This issue may get resolved in next CBA if either side decides to open it up again.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Hopefully sportsnets quality improves after this. . But I doubt that's what they're going for. If their broadcasts are any better it'll be by accident.. screw the fans.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It does not make any sense with synergies with same arena and same ownership. How da hell are they gonna say arena sponsorships are not Raptors or Leafs based but arena based? You are talking about a sizable amount of $$$ here. and based on current hockey CBA HRR the Raps are required. It is Leafs best way to screw over the players. This issue may get resolved in next CBA if either side decides to open it up again.

Absolutely basketball hinders hockey with HRR, and the atmosphere and the on ice product . Having purple and hideous dinosaurs around a storied NHL franchise takes away from the experience of going to the arena.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Please elaborate for those of us not able to listen?

Boy still digesting so here are few things I picked up:

* There is racism in hockey that isn't being addressed
*It's not just the fans , it comes from the media as well
* NHL should have recognized black history month sooner
*he's worth 15mAAV
* wearing suits to games is a joke
* he don't like the peg

These are just my takes after listening, lol, I think this interview will be discussed for a long time.

I want to state that I'm criticizing or judging, but it was definitely an interview with lots of takes we don't hear from hockey players and some of it takes some time to digest.

IMO, his opinions covered both racism and being held back from expressing himself (v diff than racism) so I'm not sure I followed his rationale very well.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

* There is racism in hockey that isnt being addressed
*he's worth 15mAAV
* he dont like the peg

These are just my takes after listening, lol, I think this interview will be discussed for a long time.

I want to state that I'm criticizing or judging, but it was definitely an interview with lots of takes we don't hear from hockey players and some of it takes some time to digest.

IMO, his opinions covered both racism and being held back from expressing himself (v diff than racism) so I'm not sure I followed his rationale very well.

That was discussed on one of the morning shows today.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I was really hoping Andi would leave for a different gig over the summer but as of yet nothing.

I still think shes a poor host. Better then Gord I guess.

That's not a ringing endorsement, man did I miss Hayes

The talent pool for radio isn't great, besides Hayes and Scotty Mac I don't particularly like any of the hosts on TSN or Sportsnet

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

*he's worth 15mAAV
* he don't like the peg

Kane really needs to check his ego. His attitude is going to come back to haunt him one day.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

*he's worth 15mAAV
* he don't like the peg

Wearing suits to a game is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad