TSN Overdrive and other Toronto Sports Media V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Um I'm pretty sure they aren't leaving TV. 590 needs filler since PTS is gone.

The TV production has been massively scaled down in order to keep the radio product coherent. You don't need the same amount of staff or production for a static, simulcast radio show that you do for a television show.

They went from a TV show on TV to now a radio show on TV. Completely different products and completely different productions.

It boggles my mind how many people in here were Bobcat fans. He was always arrogant in his opinions, admitted coutless times on air that he doesn't like hockey and always had to be the smartest guy in the room. So why would Leaf fans (or hockey fans for that matter) take any stock in his viewpoints about the sport?...

For alot of his audience that was the appeal.

I can't listen to hockey pucks yammering on about the same old shit 24/7. Its why Tim & Sid's old podcast was so great, they only talked about hockey when something important happened. Otherwise there was plenty else to discuss. They used to focus a lot on soccer and NFL but since moving to Sportsnet they have fallen in line and now its all Blue Jays and NHL.

Sid used to crack jokes at Wilner's expense. It was glorious.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
LOL i cant change the station fast enough when that commercial comes on. It's almost as bad as the Alpine Credits during every radio game broadcast, where the guy keeps rhyming every word with approved. No, Alpine Credit, the commercial didn't work, and I would never use you, solely based on that commercial alone haha.

They're the worst. She's just cashing in while she can.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
:laugh: Overdrive shames babcock into an interview. Hes on at 4:15-4:20.

Of course he waits until hes on a mini winning streak before doing it.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
LOL i cant change the station fast enough when that commercial comes on. It's almost as bad as the Alpine Credits during every radio game broadcast, where the guy keeps rhyming every word with approved. No, Alpine Credit, the commercial didn't work, and I would never use you, solely based on that commercial alone haha.

Oh lets add in that dumb tire commercial with the annoying kid asking his dad why they are in the ditch.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Babs loves to bring up the OV example of how many years it could take, forgetting that OV won the cup playing for his fifth coach.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
It boggles my mind how many people in here were Bobcat fans. He was always arrogant in his opinions, admitted coutless times on air that he doesn't like hockey and always had to be the smartest guy in the room. So why would Leaf fans (or hockey fans for that matter) take any stock in his viewpoints about the sport?...

Does anyone remember his cringe inducing commercial about "not caring what anybody thinks" and "if you don't like it, the don't listen" then proceeds to walk across the Roger Centre like he has a pickle lodged up his ass?... Be careful what you wish for, Bob.

And it boggles my mind that people still don't get that "Bobcat" wasn't a real guy. He was a creation of Bob McGowan designed to elicit a response from the audience, positive and negative. And it worked...for decades! The ratings bear that out. Now, whether or not "Bob" was a hockey fan, or an arrogant SOB, or whatever...doesn't matter. If "Bobcat" came across that way, it's because that's what McGowan and his various program directors wanted the audience to believe. It's called "building a character." People don't believe Sylvester Stallone is actually a boxer and is dumb as a post just because that's what he does in movies, do they? Of course not. He's acting...and so is (was) Bob.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

So I guess this means Anthony Stewart is out? I thought he was doing ok hope he lands on his feet. If Bournes as good on radio as his stuff for Athletic we’re in for a treat. What a relief to be free of ego Andi!

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Stewart is gone? He was fine IMO. Edit nvm. Still there.

Bourne is a good addition. Hope he doesn't become hot takey.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Does anyone remember his cringe inducing commercial about "not caring what anybody thinks" and "if you don't like it, the don't listen" then proceeds to walk across the Roger Centre like he has a pickle lodged up his ass?... Be careful what you wish for, Bob.
Because he was extremely entertaining. I only stopped listening when he brought in that ugly New Yorker.
Up until then i listened daily.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
And it boggles my mind that people still don't get that "Bobcat" wasn't a real guy. He was a creation of Bob McGowan designed to elicit a response from the audience, positive and negative. And it worked...for decades! The ratings bear that out. Now, whether or not "Bob" was a hockey fan, or an arrogant SOB, or whatever...doesn't matter. If "Bobcat" came across that way, it's because that's what McGowan and his various program directors wanted the audience to believe. It's called "building a character." People don't believe Sylvester Stallone is actually a boxer and is dumb as a post just because that's what he does in movies, do they? Of course not. He's acting...and so is (was) Bob.
Yup and it works.

Talk radio needs to generate talk, insert "Prove me wrong!" meme here.
Change-My-Mind.jpg

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton

So I guess this means Anthony Stewart is out? I thought he was doing ok hope he lands on his feet. If Bournes as good on radio as his stuff for Athletic we’re in for a treat. What a relief to be free of ego Andi!

This guy instantly has one of the most annoying voices in sports media but I do realize that some of the best things in life are an acquired taste.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
This guy instantly has one of the most annoying voices in sports media but I do realize that some of the best things in life are an acquired taste.

Glad that Stewart is still there, thought Bourne got off to a great start, has a interesting perspective on the game and can express it very well, terrific alternative to Leaf lunch.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Feschuk is such a moron. GMs are "inept" for needing a few years to do a rebuild just because one expansion team was able to be competitive right away. Almost as stupid as him criticizing Shatkins for not consulting with journalists on how to improve the Jay's.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Jeff Marek is on Good Show Leafs Hour right now. He is the worst. The whole experience is boring radio 101: preaching to the converted. All they do is agree with each other's opinions throughout. Merak is also filled with false notions from hockey fans and dispels all of them: "This Leafs team is not built like the Chicago Blackhawks, therefore you can't expect them to win like The Blackhawks did". No kidding!!!

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Is there anyone in the world who is a competent broadcaster? It doean't seem like it based on comments on this thread. Everyone is terrible

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Is there anyone in the world who is a competent broadcaster? It doean't seem like it based on comments on this thread. Everyone is terrible

I don't mind the Overdrive group. Noodles, O Dog, Hayes, and Ferraro bring enough balance: Hayes/ODog are Leafs Fans, and Noodles/Ferraro throw a different light on things.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
To many, the media’s purpose is to provide confirmation not information.

Wait?

There nothing wrong with going to imright.com to find out what I want to know but more importantly what they want me to know!

The media informing me of what I need to know is so 1980s boomer!

:sarcasm:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Wait?

There nothing wrong with going to imright.com to find out what I want to know but more importantly what they want me to know!

The media informing me of what I need to know is so 1980s boomer!

:sarcasm:
Tru dat

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Glad that Stewart is still there, thought Bourne got off to a great start, has a interesting perspective on the game and can express it very well, terrific alternative to Leaf lunch.

Yep. Hes been great as a segment/ fill in and Im excited that he's full time. He should be good with Marek, though, I wouldnt mind him on Good Show.

Cant help but think this may be the beginning of the end of Stewart ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->