TSN Overdrive and other Toronto Sports Media V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Anyone know why they call Mike "Al's brother" on TSN overdrive?

Continue with the nickname/alias theme of the show.

O'Dog
Noodles
Haysey Bee
Grappler
Al's Brother
Peg Bundy

Ray's always been the little ball of hate, but nearly nobody calls him that. Some call him Peewee.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I don't think disliking Overdrive is a popular opinion, nor should it be.
Why not though?

I love listening to them, I especially like Ray.
Love Noodles when he plays the contradictory role, and the fire in Jeff.
Hayes is the only pro there, and it shows when it comes to actual true interviews.

However, just because I like it, doesn't mean that I should expect everyone else to.
I hate celery, my wife loves it.

Neither is right, and neither is wrong. To each their own.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

O'Dog
Noodles
Haysey Bee
Grappler
Al's Brother
Peg Bundy

Ray's always been the little ball of hate, but nearly nobody calls him that. Some call him Peewee.
Ray isn’t the little ball of hate that was Pat Verbeek.
Ray was the big ball of hate when they were on the same team.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

O'Dog
Noodles
Haysey Bee
Grappler
Al's Brother
Peg Bundy

Ray is big ball of hate. Verbeek is little ball

Marchand stole Verbeeks name though. Just another reason to hate him

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Why not though?

I love listening to them, I especially like Ray.
Love Noodles when he plays the contradictory role, and the fire in Jeff.
Hayes is the only pro there, and it shows when it comes to actual true interviews.

However, just because I like it, doesn't mean that I should expect everyone else to.
I hate celery, my wife loves it.

Neither is right, and neither is wrong. To each their own.

My opinion is that it's a bad opinion, if you're open to the expression of opinions then you must be open to that. Of course it's subjective, most of what we argue here is, 99 percent of debates are subtextually saying you think an opinion is wrong, I was simply disagreeing, if a little more bluntly. Posts like these are inherent contradictions. But ya, to each there own, obviously, I'm not going to hold it against someone if they prefer a different radio show.

Also the point of my reply was that overdrive is a much loved show, and there aren't "so many people" who dislike it, the "nor should they" was simply an endorsement.

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Would love to have seen Noodles in the WalMart suit....been down that road myself.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I tuned to Hockey Central yesterday and had to turn it off immediately.

Jeff Marek does this thing: he cannot say "three nothing", or "3 goals to 0". Instead he says "three cobb", "three - bagel", or "3 donut", etc.

I think he thinks it's cool or endearing.

It's so bad. I have no problem when people in the media try to show a little colour, or change. This kind of thing makes me want to kick the shit out of my little portable AM/FM Radio.

I didn't start getting into TSN Overdrive until last year and I'm quite happy with their style and commentary. Hockey Central is absolute trash.

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Discussion thread about The Athletic that was recently closed... I feel it’s a discussion that needs to be had. However if it’s actually a matter of their standing as an advertiser here, I suppose discussion will be shut down again under the guise of a no-politics rule.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Discussion thread about The Athletic that was recently closed... I feel it’s a discussion that needs to be had. However if it’s actually a matter of their standing as an advertiser here, I suppose discussion will be shut down again under the guise of a no-politics rule.

What are you referring to?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

People pumping the athletic is really tiresome. People making threads with the goal of advertising the athletic is tiresome.

That is all.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Honestly, how do people listen to Overdrive? It just seems like garbage from beginning to end.

It would seem that you've misinterpreted it as a pure sports show. It's not - it's a hybrid sports/comedy show.

You've got 2 guys who have real NHL experience (O Dog ~ 600 games, Noodles ~ 250 games?). They have connections and "insider" info and bring a pro's perspective having been there.

Hayes has a great radio voice (I will believe anything he says, and will buy a bunch of mypillows just because he tells me to!). He's also knowledgeable about other sports.

Two things I like about the show:

1) I enjoy the "slacker culture" vibe. That's the comedy part - they're too lazy/disinterested/selfish to be bothered looking stuff up or trying to learn anything (that's an act); and

2) I learn stuff about sports, in spite of their style

Ya just got to take them for what they are, and with a grain of salt. If Seinfeld had been a show about sports radio, this would be it.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Hfboards has a strict "no politics" rule.

It has nothing to do with The Athletic.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
It would seem that you've misinterpreted it as a pure sports show. It's not - it's a hybrid sports/comedy show.

You've got 2 guys who have real NHL experience (O Dog ~ 600 games, Noodles ~ 250 games?). They have connections and "insider" info and bring a pro's perspective having been there.

Hayes has a great radio voice (I will believe anything he says, and will buy a bunch of mypillows just because he tells me to!). He's also knowledgeable about other sports.

Two things I like about the show:

1) I enjoy the "slacker culture" vibe. That's the comedy part - they're too lazy/disinterested/selfish to be bothered looking stuff up or trying to learn anything (that's an act); and

2) I learn stuff about sports, in spite of their style

Ya just got to take them for what they are, and with a grain of salt. If Seinfeld had been a show about sports radio, this would be it.

Great way to put it.

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad