TSN Overdrive and other Toronto Sports Media V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
It would seem that you've misinterpreted it as a pure sports show. It's not - it's a hybrid sports/comedy show.

You've got 2 guys who have real NHL experience (O Dog ~ 600 games, Noodles ~ 250 games?). They have connections and "insider" info and bring a pro's perspective having been there.

Hayes has a great radio voice (I will believe anything he says, and will buy a bunch of mypillows just because he tells me to!). He's also knowledgeable about other sports.

Two things I like about the show:

1) I enjoy the "slacker culture" vibe. That's the comedy part - they're too lazy/disinterested/selfish to be bothered looking stuff up or trying to learn anything (that's an act); and

2) I learn stuff about sports, in spite of their style

Ya just got to take them for what they are, and with a grain of salt. If Seinfeld had been a show about sports radio, this would be it.
I think it's an outstanding show. Got Hockey chat, even better comedy (the new salad segments were gold)

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It would seem that you've misinterpreted it as a pure sports show. It's not - it's a hybrid sports/comedy show.

You've got 2 guys who have real NHL experience (O Dog ~ 600 games, Noodles ~ 250 games?). They have connections and "insider" info and bring a pro's perspective having been there.

Hayes has a great radio voice (I will believe anything he says, and will buy a bunch of mypillows just because he tells me to!). He's also knowledgeable about other sports.

Two things I like about the show:

1) I enjoy the "slacker culture" vibe. That's the comedy part - they're too lazy/disinterested/selfish to be bothered looking stuff up or trying to learn anything (that's an act); and

2) I learn stuff about sports, in spite of their style

Ya just got to take them for what they are, and with a grain of salt. If Seinfeld had been a show about sports radio, this would be it.

Yeah. Some people seem to expect radio shows to be hosted by some superlative authority, who reads off a list of "correct" facts and opinions for the listener to accept without question.

There's no authority on hockey knowledge. It's all just shooting the shit like anyone else does. O'Dog and Noodles both played in the NHL and they disagree all the time, along with all the other former players and management types as well.

Radio is entertainment, not education.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Yeah. Some people seem to expect radio shows to be hosted by some superlative authority, who reads off a list of "correct" facts and opinions for the listener to accept without question.

There's no authority on hockey knowledge. It's all just shooting the **** like anyone else does. O'Dog and Noodles both played in the NHL and they disagree all the time, along with all the other former players and management types as well.

Radio is entertainment, not education.

Bingo!

Entertainment, that's what the show is. They do go overboard sometimes when arguments boil over, or they pretend to be frat boys (and some people even like that part). But mostly, they're just flat out funny. They sling jokes and Seinfeld references, they talk hockey and Leafs, they take shots at each other and themselves. It's fun.

There's more in-depth hockey talk out there. But Overdrive is the best Leafs talk if you want to be entertained.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Would you rather have a gimmick like giant cannon going off?

Maybe in Toronto after each goal they can make it rain leaves?

Why is that a gimmick?
I get it that they are the bad guys and are losing the the civil war but it’s still a part of their arsenal. ;)

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
I felt bad when Ray ripped into Hayes over the Nylander situation last season and called him a fanboy who thinks his opinion matters more than it does but now I'm starting to see that Ray was dead on. The last few months Hayes has had a lot of fanboyish hot takes devoid of any logic and delivered like he is mr authority, particularly when talking about the Jays/Shapiro/Atkins.

The boys' take on the Byfuglien situation was ridiculous, obnoxious and insensitive. A pro athlete still at the top of their game doesn't just all of a sudden decide they don't want to play anymore and potentially forfeit his entire 6 mil salary unless it's for a very good reason. Some things are bigger than sports and he doesn't owe anyone anything if he would be miserable playing hockey right now and if it would be damaging to his mental health.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I felt bad when Ray ripped into Hayes over the Nylander situation last season and called him a fanboy who thinks his opinion matters more than it does but now I'm starting to see that Ray was dead on. The last few months Hayes has had a lot of fanboyish hot takes devoid of any logic and delivered like he is mr authority, particularly when talking about the Jays/Shapiro/Atkins.

The boys' take on the Byfuglien situation was ridiculous, obnoxious and insensitive. A pro athlete still at the top of their game doesn't just all of a sudden decide they don't want to play anymore and potentially forfeit his entire 6 mil salary unless it's for a very good reason. Some things are bigger than sports and he doesn't owe anyone anything if he would be miserable playing hockey right now and if it would be damaging to his mental health.

I don’t think they were trying to be insensitive. I think they were trying to say, that if he doesn’t want to play he should say he doesn’t want to play. Because they are right, the players in the lockeroom are probably saying they can use Buff. As much as it’s Big buff’s right, it’s also not fair to the organization to leave them in LIMBO.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
Would you rather have a gimmick like giant cannon going off?

Maybe in Toronto after each goal they can make it rain leaves?

Rogers is grasping at straws. Seems to me it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Their terrible TV deal caused so much panic at the Ivory Tower that they got desperate. They ruined hockey for so many Canadians, both at the rink and at home. Btw, everyone that had any part in that contract has been turfed. Dubas was the answer to deflect attention away from that bad deal. How well is that working out for them?

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Rogers is grasping at straws. Seems to me it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Their terrible TV deal caused so much panic at the Ivory Tower that they got desperate. They ruined hockey for so many Canadians, both at the rink and at home. Btw, everyone that had any part in that contract has been turfed. Dubas was the answer to deflect attention away from that bad deal. How well is that working out for them?
No idea why you're quoting me?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The other team is so rattled, they're hearing Hall and Oats in their sleep.

But it’s not catchy and they don’t even know who Hall and Oates are? I was in my 20s in the 80’s and I don’t remember this song. I bet if you polled the Bruins players they couldn’t tell you the Leafs goal song.

Everyone knows Chicago’s goal song because it’s a thing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
But it’s not catchy and they don’t even know who Hall and Oates are? I was in my 20s in the 80’s and I don’t remember this song. I bet if you polled the Bruins players they couldn’t tell you the Leafs goal song.

Everyone knows Chicago’s goal song because it’s a thing.
Music is played for the fans not the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->