TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
McLennan having a coronary over Hayes saying Edmonton had finally won a game was all kinds of ridiculous. How sensitive are you? Like, you're the Edmonton white knight now? Even if he was making fun of Edmonton - which he wasn't - who the f*** cares? This is a Toronto radio broadcast. Literally make fun of Edmonton all day every day. It's a trash franchise that deserves everyone's ridicule.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Did anyone hear Poulin and Andi go on about teams with #1 Cs today. It really didn't make a lot of sense and it went nowhere. They sounded like they were talking about two separate things. Awful to listen to.

Reactions: The Rat King

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It would be nice if he was more realistic about the situation is all I am saying.
sorry man I know it sucks, but it is realistic, the CBA allows it and because of that it is as real and as serious as a heart attack. There is literally nothing stopping the ownership of the Yotes of approving a 136m expenditure against future earnings.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
sorry man I know it sucks, but it is realistic, the CBA allows it and because of that it is as real and as serious as a heart attack. There is literally nothing stopping the ownership of the Yotes of approving a 136m expenditure against future earnings.

Right, but the unrealistic part to me - at least at this point - might be Matthews signing the offer sheet. I couldn't say how many teams would have the necessary cap space and draft picks at that time, but it seems a lot of the hype is around the hometown angle. Doesn't guarantee anything either, but Arizona could've attempted to bottom out in his draft year if it were that big of a deal. He'd add a lot to any team, but four 1sts at whatever cap hit (and the one less year makes that tougher too) is potentially quite the price to pay, especially depending on the team in question.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
McLennan having a coronary over Hayes saying Edmonton had finally won a game was all kinds of ridiculous. How sensitive are you? Like, you're the Edmonton white knight now? Even if he was making fun of Edmonton - which he wasn't - who the **** cares? This is a Toronto radio broadcast. Literally make fun of Edmonton all day every day. It's a trash franchise that deserves everyone's ridicule.

As if sports media in the other Canadian NHL cities don’t shit on the Leafs when they get the chance.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
McLennan having a coronary over Hayes saying Edmonton had finally won a game was all kinds of ridiculous. How sensitive are you? Like, you're the Edmonton white knight now? Even if he was making fun of Edmonton - which he wasn't - who the **** cares? This is a Toronto radio broadcast. Literally make fun of Edmonton all day every day. It's a trash franchise that deserves everyone's ridicule.

Oh man, just heard that. Noodles usually does a good job at keeping his Leafs bitterness on the down-low, but every once in a while he can't contain it and the salt is great to listen to as a Leafs fan. He was noticeably pissed at Brian "You act like every other team is junk compared to the Maple Leafs"

Reactions: Zrinski

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Jamie McLennan is a Edmonton guy, was born there, its legit for him to defend the oilers, i think

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Glad to see the convo is going back to where it should: the massive fall of leafs lunch.

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
Did anyone hear Poulin and Andi go on about teams with #1 Cs today. It really didn't make a lot of sense and it went nowhere. They sounded like they were talking about two separate things. Awful to listen to.

Starting to this it's Andi

I like her, but that show goes down some stupid paths far too often. With too many co hosts

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
No offence but i haven't listened since Andi took over, very nice person and chatty but not for me.
I find it hard to listen myself. Some days I can't take it. Unless someone like Johnson is Co hosting I tend to regret it.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It would be nice if he was more realistic about the situation is all I am saying.

Don’t get me wrong. The cheap-ass Coyotes signing a $17 million offer sheet is completely far-fetched. But I also don’t think it is a ridiculous propsition — it might be the one and only lifeline the franchise can cling on to (until Matthews re-signs with the Leafs).

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Arizona can put together any offer they like. But only a COMPLETE IDIOT would jump ship on potential Stanley Cup dynasty to go to the saddest of sad sack franchises in the league. Especially if the difference is between an 11-12 million dollar offer here and another 4 or 5 mil there. Granted that's 40 mil over 8 years...not chump change. But is that enough to make you want to Top Banana in a circus full of monkeys in your hometown, and one that may be pulling up stakes and moving on before you even get a sniff of success. Or would you rather stay put for less money (at least until your next contract) for the chance to become revered for a lifetime because you brought a championship to a city starved for one?

Bottom line...Mathews has to sign that offer for it to mean anything...and I just don't see that happening.

Truthfully, a monster offer sheet from the Coyotes would be the best thing for Matthews. He knows the Leafs would match, so he gets to continue being Top Banana here, gets tens of millions more than he would otherwise, and avoids any potential contract battle. He won’t get that 8th year, but he is still making way more than he would have plus he would hit UFA a year earlier when he’d hit the motherload again.

Waiting out in the hopes of an offer sheet might be pretty tempting. He’s going to get paid either way.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Coyotes' ownership: "We continue to lose money every year despite using every trick in the book to pay out salaries well under the cap floor. Let's pay one player more than any other player in the league by $5M and draw in all of our dormant hockey fans because what really sells a sport is having a player who just happened to grow up in the city."

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Jamie McLennan is a Edmonton guy, was born there, its legit for him to defend the oilers, i think

The problem is that he goes out of his way to defend the Oilers, Habs, and Flames. As soon as Hayes criticizes either of those teams, Noodles comes to the rescue like the white knight he is. Hell, he thinks that the Jets are one of the greatest teams ever.

His bitterness towards the Leafs is evident. But as mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a Toronto sports station so the constant hate is not really appropriate.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Truthfully, a monster offer sheet from the Coyotes would be the best thing for Matthews. He knows the Leafs would match, so he gets to continue being Top Banana here, gets tens of millions more than he would otherwise, and avoids any potential contract battle. He won’t get that 8th year, but he is still making way more than he would have plus he would hit UFA a year earlier when he’d hit the motherload again.

Waiting out in the hopes of an offer sheet might be pretty tempting. He’s going to get paid either way.

I guess it all depends on both how selflish and greedy Matthews is as a person, aswell how much he values his career and what he's worked for his whole life to this point.

If his only goal is to make insane amounts of money over what is reasonable, or if he is desperate to go back and play for his home team, then quite honestly I dont want him here regardless of his talent. There has to be a passion to play the game and win while looking at the big picture.

Playing in Arizona gets him money and the team he grew up watching and that is it. Not only will he never win anything there, that amount of money they are paying him will hamstring a team that is struggling to survive already.

Even threatening to sign that kind of contract just so the Leafs would have to pay it will remove at least 1 high level asset IMMEDIATELY, possibly 2. That would pretty much destroy any near term aspirations for the Leafs as well. I dont for a second believe Matthews is that kind of person nor is that stupid.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011

That's a risky move on his part. I think Shanny and co. call his bluff and don't match tbh. 16 or 17m would screw up the cap big time. I think they say "good luck in the desert" and move on with Marner, JT and the rest, plus those 4 1sts which are probably going to all be lottery picks, if the Yotes past is any indication. And I'd be all for it. Remember...the name on the front of the jersey is whats important, not the one the back.

All that being said I think chances are almost nil he signs any offer. That kid wants to win...and he knows this is where that will happen...not in Arizona.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Like a bunch of other western-canadians, they have a hard time accepting that the media is going to be dictated by Toronto, due to the fact 1/4 of Canada's population lives between Oshawa and Niagara Falls. Factor in, Quebec basically has its own media for things (RDS, TVA, etc), the Golden Horseshoe accounts for 1/3 of media viewership.

I generally don't have an issue with McLennan playing the role he does, but that was insufferable.

My favorite was that idiot who Hayes's read the tweet of. I honestly think some of these people are true moron's and suffer from the syndrome that helped Howard Stern. People who liked him listened, people who got pissed off at what he said still listened. If people wanted to avoid Leaf's coverage it really isn't that hard, people honestly get some sort of weird enjoyment by talking about them or listening to media sources talk about them so they can then complain.

I find the Yankees and Red Soxs coverage on ESPN.com overbearing. Guess what, I don't read their articles on baseball very often due to it.

Reactions: Zrinski

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Oh man, just heard that. Noodles usually does a good job at keeping his Leafs bitterness on the down-low, but every once in a while he can't contain it and the salt is great to listen to as a Leafs fan. He was noticeably pissed at Brian "You act like every other team is junk compared to the Maple Leafs"

I was listening to that . Did u notice how fast Noodles back tracked and started fake praising the Leafs?

Noodles also defends all goalies, blindly. Noodles would fit in great with the Sportsnet hockey group who are clearly phony.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The problem is that he goes out of his way to defend the Oilers, Habs, and Flames. As soon as Hayes criticizes either of those teams, Noodles comes to the rescue like the white knight he is. Hell, he thinks that the Jets are one of the greatest teams ever.

His bitterness towards the Leafs is evident. But as mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a Toronto sports station so the constant hate is not really appropriate.

Oh come on, he doesnt hate the Leafs.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I was listening to that . Did u notice how fast Noodles back tracked and started fake praising the Leafs?

Noodles also defends all goalies, blindly. Noodles would fit in great with the Sportsnet hockey group who are clearly phony.
thats what the goalie union does. Millen loves all goalies games. lol

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's not realistic. And what future earnings? They have NEVER made $. Not once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad