TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Some advice: when listening to the radio shows or watching on TV try to understand context and nuance.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Lol at the thought of Nick Kypreos knowing basic math...let alone a teams cap situation.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
It's really non-Leaf fans who love the negative stories. It's ridiculous the hype about offer sheets the last 2 days. I have never seen anyone discussing it like this.
Meanwhile, The Jets and Lightning are just left alone.

It's ludicrous. McCown suggested that Arizona would put together a $17M offer sheet for Matthews in the summer. He didn't even know Chayka's name. It's a joke, and I wonder what guys with a bit of integrity like Friedge or CJ think about all this click bait nonsense, or how guys like JD Bunkis or Ennis feel about having to lend credence to this shit.

OK I have to get off social media this weekend.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Bob McCown is so horrible. They brought up Matthews to Arizona and all 4 people on the show failed to point out Arizona's terrible financial situation or the fact Matthews might not want to go there due to how bad the team was.

Reactions: JustAShadow

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's ludicrous. McCown suggested that Arizona would put together a $17M offer sheet for Matthews in the summer. He didn't even know Chayka's name. It's a joke, and I wonder what guys with a bit of integrity like Friedge or CJ think about all this click bait nonsense, or how guys like JD Bunkis or Ennis feel about having to lend credence to this ****.

Context and nuance are your friends.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's ludicrous. McCown suggested that Arizona would put together a $17M offer sheet for Matthews in the summer. He didn't even know Chayka's name. It's a joke, and I wonder what guys with a bit of integrity like Friedge or CJ think about all this click bait nonsense, or how guys like JD Bunkis or Ennis feel about having to lend credence to this ****.

Yeah, I just commented on this before I saw your post. Can Arizona even afford 17 million per? Remember, this is a team Bettman allows to cheat to not come close to paying actual $ to reach the cap floor. Suddenly they will afford the highest salary in history no problem.
If the Leafs were in the same situation as Arizona, no way Tavares even meets with the Leafs.
Your "Hometown" team has to be good. Hence why the first superstar in his prime left to join the Leafs from Toronto and never occurred when we sucked.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
FOX news edits footage to deceive viewers.

Let’s not get into this, but they all do.....it’s a sad day when the “news” has decided what we should hear and see.

I turned them all off a couple of years ago . When the media was supporting either of Hilary or Trump during the primary I knew it was bad times...

Back to something meaningful.....Toronto sports media.....Speaking of which, Im listening to the outdoor journal like ?I do most every Saturday morning, and quite enjoy it.....

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, I just commented on this before I saw your post. Can Arizona even afford 17 million per? Remember, this is a team Bettman allows to cheat to not come close to paying actual $ to reach the cap floor. Suddenly they will afford the highest salary in history no problem.
If the Leafs were in the same situation as Arizona, no way Tavares even meets with the Leafs.
Your "Hometown" team has to be good. Hence why the first superstar in his prime left to join the Leafs from Toronto and never occurred when we sucked.

How did they get on the subject?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Bob McCown is so horrible. They brought up Matthews to Arizona and all 4 people on the show failed to point out Arizona's terrible financial situation or the fact Matthews might not want to go there due to how bad the team was.

I don't think you were following the conversation.

The statement was Arizona is almost dead in the water, this would be a last ditch effort to turn the franchise around. They already lose money, so paying $17M to Matthews isn't going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

They also never said Matthews would take it, just that if they were Zona they would make the offer should the opportunity present itself. If Matthews is picking between 8*12 and 7*17 he might find the extra $20M appealing. Especially to play at home. But obviously they have no idea if he would actually consider playing for the Coyotes.

It was an interesting conversation.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

First off it’s a round table sports discussion.....

How did he get to the subject of Matthews and Arizona? There was an enormous IF in there. IF. IF IF IF Matthews was not signed by July 1st.....

Previously they were talking about Tavares coming home, and being the first and biggest to move home, and they were talking about Matthews being a great player and that he could command big dollars.

Then comes that IF....and they weren’t saying Arizona “would” offer sheet Matthews.....in this context it was a logical round table discussion.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

They didn’t go into the nuts and bolts, but they did wonder aloud if it would help build the new Ariana. Not too mentioned they wondered if they did a poll on the street would the people even know AM is?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
They didn’t go into the nuts and bolts, but they did wonder aloud if it would help build the new Ariana. Not too mentioned they wondered if they did a poll on the street would the people even know AM is?
I just think the question of it the player would want to go there never came up. Because it always did when a Toronto guy was UFA and the Leafs nmight be interested.
Hell, the Leafs had 105 points with a very young core and all the media still said JT would not come.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Out of nowhere really. Mcown brought up the subject and everyone went for it without questioining Arizona's current financial state and how bad they are.

They were talking about how good AM has been. They were talking about how for the first time in Leafs history they might have the best player in the world......Then they talked about Tavares being the first local boy to come home because the Leafs are a destination franchise .....talked about Rielly and his rise.....
Dietsch brought up scoring totals for AM and Mitch and salary, McCown asked if AM could ask for the 20% .....which lead Shannon to comment about offer sheets.....McCown said Arizona was a “walking dead franchise” .....can’t make money without him, could they sell him and make money?

Terrific round table discussion

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
They were talking about how good AM has been. They were talking about how for the first time in Leafs history they might have the best player in the world......Then they talked about Tavares being the first local boy to come home because the Leafs are a destination franchise .....talked about Rielly and his rise.....
Dietsch brought up scoring totals for AM and Mitch and salary, McCown asked if AM could ask for the 20% .....which lead Shannon to comment about offer sheets.....McCown said Arizona was a “walking dead franchise” .....can’t make money without him, could they sell him and make money?

Terrific round table discussion

I thought so too. Not a big McCown fan but I think his point that Az only chance of ever making money is with Matthews is likely correct.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I remember putting forth a trade proposal before the 2016 draft that Arizona would have been smart to offer a package of OEL/Domi/Strome/their 1st (7th overall)/Dvorak for Matthews and the Leafs would still probably say no. Took a bit of ridicule but I have no doubt they would fall over backwards to make this deal now and the Leafs would still say no.....

Reactions: MyBudJT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad