TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Craig Button on Leafs Lunch today is actually being very.... reasonable.

First he downplayed the whole LHD vs RHD thing and said it's being blown out of proportion. Referenced Niedermayer playing on his offside, and Lidstrom's main partner for years playing on his offside as well.

And just now, he started talking about how people are too down on Liljegren, forget how young he is, and how he was an important piece on a Calder Cup winning team last year as an 18 year old.

Much prefer these types of takes to the AHHHHHHH the sky is falling crap we get from Gord Miller and others.

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
Agreed on Gord. For all the hate he gets on here, which is completely warranted for his non-broadcasting appearances, he's a pretty damn good play-by-play guy. When I think of the World Junior Tournament I think of Gord. He does a good job calling the Leafs as well, imo. They really should try to limit his exposure outside of that role, though.
He's actually one of my fav PxP guys, especially at the WJC.

His Radio abilities are...not my fav

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
LOL at Siegel backtracking and changing the subject when he said he doesn’t agree Marner should get less than Kucherov.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
LOL at Siegel backtracking and changing the subject when he said he doesn’t agree Marner should get less than Kucherov.
All of Tampa contracts come with an asterisk because of Floridas tax code. Technically they have an unfair advantage over many teams and shouldn't be used for any comparisons.

Reactions: AreBe

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Craig Button on Leafs Lunch today is actually being very.... reasonable.

First he downplayed the whole LHD vs RHD thing and said it's being blown out of proportion. Referenced Niedermayer playing on his offside, and Lidstrom's main partner for years playing on his offside as well.

And just now, he started talking about how people are too down on Liljegren, forget how young he is, and how he was an important piece on a Calder Cup winning team last year as an 18 year old.

Much prefer these types of takes to the AHHHHHHH the sky is falling crap we get from Gord Miller and others.
The only thing that annoyed me about Button is that he won’t reason with others about his points. Beside that, I find him very knowledgeable and got good views on situations. Another thing I like about Button is that he doesn’t spread rumours.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Okay since Andi etc won't explain this
What's a Black Ace (they said Muzzin was one in 2012 so he didn't win the cup that year)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't listen to Toronto sports tabloid radio any more. I couldn't take the fear mongering fake news. I listen to the Athletic podcast and that's about it. I wish every Leaf fan in Toronto was like me so they'd stop this type of reporting. I actually listen to Buffalo sports radio to hear hockey talk. :laugh:

Congrats on the enlightenment!

I hope others follow your example.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
All of Tampa contracts come with an asterisk because of Floridas tax code. Technically they have an unfair advantage over many teams and shouldn't be used for any comparisons.

All of Toronto's contracts come with an asterisk of playing in the biggest hockey market in the world, replete with millions of dollars of extra endorsement opportunities.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Congrats on the enlightenment!

I hope others follow your example.

Matthews34 is most famous in these parts for talking about how bad the Tavares signing is and how badly it's all working out. If this is what enlightenment looks like I'll stay out here in the dark.

Reactions: Matthews34

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

what about earning US dollars but all expenses being in Canadian dollars. THis tax thing is nowhere near as big of a deal as its made oiut to be

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
what about earning US dollars but all expenses being in Canadian dollars. THis tax thing is nowhere near as big of a deal as its made oiut to be

Incorrect. You would only be correct if we had cost parity with the US. We don't. The exchange difference is added to our costs on goods and services. So it washes out. In many/most cases Canadians actually pay more that just the exchange due to higher duties and/or higher costs of operating in Canada.

Canadian clubs are at a major disadvantage.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Incorrect. You would only be correct if we had cost parity with the US. We don't. The exchange difference is added to our costs on goods and services. So it washes out. In many/most cases Canadians actually pay more that just the exchange due to higher duties and/or higher costs of operating in Canada.

Canadian clubs are at a major disadvantage.

eh, ill take your word for it. But if it was as big a deal as you and some make it out to be then New York, California AND Canadian teams wouldn't just sit by allowing it to happen there is just no way. If it was such a big deal JT would have beelined for a no tax state to earn a fortune more.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

Leafs should be able to match that in signing bonuses of 75%+ of their salary.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
and hitting on Andi. Sad state of affairs going on over there.

For what it's worth I have it on decently high authority that the relationship is way more of a father-daughter type thing than any of that. He cares for her well-being as a person etc.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
eh, ill take your word for it. But if it was as big a deal as you and some make it out to be then New York, California AND Canadian teams wouldn't just sit by allowing it to happen there is just no way. If it was such a big deal JT would have beelined for a no tax state to earn a fortune more.

You shouldn;t say you'll take my word for it and then tell me why you shouldn't take my word for it.:D

Take my word for it.

Are you telling me you have never noticed we pay more in Canadian dollars on goods and services than in the US? A backpack that sells in Walmart US for 9.99 will be 12.99-14.99 in Canada. Cars? If we pay 60K for a BMW do you think Americans are paying 60K for that same BMW? No they will be paying more like 40-45K. The cost of exchange, cost of operating in Canada, cost of additional duties in Canada is all picked up in the pricing of consumer goods.

Athletes like JT make the decision to come to Toronto for every reason other than financial. This should be our takeaway here imo. Many people don't understand how great it was he chose to be here. More importantly, many people also don't understand how higher costs hurt Canadian competitiveness.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
All of Toronto's contracts come with an asterisk of playing in the biggest hockey market in the world, replete with millions of dollars of extra endorsement opportunities.

What would be an example of a million dollar endorsement opportunity in Toronto for a star Leaf?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You shouldn;t say you'll take my word for it and then tell me why you shouldn't take my word for it.:D

Take my word for it.

Are you telling me you have never noticed we pay more in Canadian dollars on goods and services than in the US? A backpack that sells in Walmart US for 9.99 will be 12.99-14.99 in Canada. Cars? If we pay 60K for a BMW do you think Americans are paying 60K for that same BMW? No they will be paying more like 40-45K. The cost of exchange, cost of operating in Canada, cost of additional duties in Canada is all picked up in the pricing of consumer goods.

Athletes like JT make the decision to come to Toronto for every reason other than financial. This should be our takeaway here imo. Many people don't understand how great it was he chose to be here. More importantly, many people also don't understand how higher costs hurt Canadian competitiveness.

I’ll take your word for we pay more including nhl players. Then what I added is if it truly was an unfair advantage there is no way the other teams would stand by and let Tampa take the advantage ally he way to a cup. It’s just not possible, it’s more likely there is some kind of tax loopholes or something that evens it all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad