TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Genuinely interested here... so what would the benefit be for a guy like Marner who's a Canadian resident living in Canada/Ontario? Can you just up and buy a house in Arizona if you're Marner and call yourself a resident to get the cheap tax rate on a signing bonus like Matthews?

Not quite as easy,

Theres a few rules. You have to essentially eliminate all ties to Canada to no longer be a resident. They look at the following significant ties:

Spouse or common law in canada
Dependants in Canada
A home in Canada

And then they look at a bunch of other secondary things like:

Social ties (club memberships) in Canada
Canadian credit cards or bank accounts
Passport and license etc

If they can prove that the combination of these things are more in the favor of you being a Canadian resident you pay canadian tax on all income(regardless of what country its earned in, however youll get some kind of foreign income tax credit).

Now if youre deemed not a resident of Canada but you end up spending 183 days in Canada regardless of if its tourism or not you will pay Canadian taxes for something called the sojourning rule.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Same, but thats on Noodles. O-dog was saying how bad the ducks were last night and how bad they were over the last 17-18 games. Noodles has to chime and hear himself speak and say something about the Leafs and then accuse O'Neill of just yelling and not saying anything which wasnt true. Noodles is a massive idiot.
The past couple of seasons i wasnt even fazed by Noodles . I actually liked the trio . But since they started up in september for the season Noodles has been insufferable .
Says silly things and talks too much . Some real disdain for leaf fans & the team/market . Makes the most obvious statements and seems to disagree much more than is necessary .

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I'd rather it be the trio with Noodles than simply Hayes and O-Dog. O-Dog contributes so little other than some occasional comic relief it's actually mind-boggling he's employed as a radio show host in a world-class city. Sometimes his biggest contributions to a discussion are his patented "mmhmm"s or "yup"s, before going back into his deep sleep. Noodles can definitely irritate me at times but I really don't mind the opposing 'non-Toronto stan' viewpoint. As long as you understand the guy for who he is and what his faults are it's tough to argue he doesn't enhance the show's value imo.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'd rather it be the trio with Noodles than simply Hayes and O-Dog. O-Dog contributes so little other than some occasional comic relief it's actually mind-boggling he's employed as a radio show host in a world-class city. Sometimes his biggest contributions to a discussion are his patented "mmhmm"s or "yup"s, before going back into his deep sleep. Noodles can definitely irritate me at times but I really don't mind the opposing 'non-Toronto stan' viewpoint. As long as you understand the guy for who he is and what his faults are it's tough to argue he doesn't enhance the show's value imo.

Siegel full time over noodles maybe, noodles is that bad. A guy who noticeably hates the leafs and leaf fans. That argument today was a great summary of noodles the guys talk about how genuinely bad another team is and noodles pipes up with a "well imagine the leafs without Rielly" as odog said they were talking about Anaheim for f*** sake. He brings up the kadri cat story weekly, no matter how stupid it was get over it man

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
“Remember how LaVar Ball said he could beat Michael Jordan in a 1 on 1? Can you imagine if Paul Marner came out and said I’d whoop Sidney Crosby’s ass 1 on 1?!”

:laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Masked Superstar

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

O'dog is kept around for his shtick because it's entertaining. If they wanted hard hitting sports knowledge and analysis he'd have been gone long ago.

he is one of the very few hockey players that is willing to talk about the dumb **** that happens in locker rooms.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The past couple of seasons i wasnt even fazed by Noodles . I actually liked the trio . But since they started up in september for the season Noodles has been insufferable .
Says silly things and talks too much . Some real disdain for leaf fans & the team/market . Makes the most obvious statements and seems to disagree much more than is necessary .

When the leafs are good they can’t just talk about that, they don’t get listeners. It’s like the news, they can’t report on just good things or else know one will watch. They report on the bad scary things so you can keep watching for updates and they get viewers.

Same with these guys, got to incite fear in the fan base so people can listen. More Hayes and Noodles, O-dog does what he is told and says his mind.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
on overdrive? its out there that paul is a dick? I thought it was just whispers around here, but its mainstream stuff now?
Yes overdrive Odog and Hayes said they’ve both heard of it, Noodles said it was the 1st time he’d heard and laughed his ass off.

Reactions: Walshy7

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Siegel full time over noodles maybe, noodles is that bad. A guy who noticeably hates the leafs and leaf fans. That argument today was a great summary of noodles the guys talk about how genuinely bad another team is and noodles pipes up with a "well imagine the leafs without Rielly" as odog said they were talking about Anaheim for **** sake. He brings up the kadri cat story weekly, no matter how stupid it was get over it man

Listening to Jonas on the air for me is akin to nails on the chalkboard. It's cringeworthy at it's best. I can't believe they allow him on the show to be honest. I'm sure he's a talented journalist or writer but he contributes less than O-dog on a Friday. Just occasionally interjects and asks a stupid question to try and get Hayes to take the bait and save him, I can only assume. A radio show is just not for him.

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
Not quite as easy,

Theres a few rules. You have to essentially eliminate all ties to Canada to no longer be a resident. They look at the following significant ties:

Spouse or common law in canada
Dependants in Canada
A home in Canada

And then they look at a bunch of other secondary things like:

Social ties (club memberships) in Canada
Canadian credit cards or bank accounts
Passport and license etc

If they can prove that the combination of these things are more in the favor of you being a Canadian resident you pay canadian tax on all income(regardless of what country its earned in, however youll get some kind of foreign income tax credit).

Now if youre deemed not a resident of Canada but you end up spending 183 days in Canada regardless of if its tourism or not you will pay Canadian taxes for something called the sojourning rule.
Makes sense, I'd imagine there's some real benefit in getting paid in $US living in Canada too no? Or does that hurt their case after the conversion when it comes to the tax man?

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
Listening to Jonas on the air for me is akin to nails on the chalkboard. It's cringeworthy at it's best. I can't believe they allow him on the show to be honest. I'm sure he's a talented journalist or writer but he contributes less than O-dog on a Friday. Just occasionally interjects and asks a stupid question to try and get Hayes to take the bait and save him, I can only assume. A radio show is just not for him.
I actually like the Leaf report podcast him & Mirtle do. I was originally worried it'd be all stats talk but it's entertaining for the most part. Pretty informative too

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
on overdrive? its out there that paul is a dick? I thought it was just whispers around here, but its mainstream stuff now?
It's been known for years in junior hockey circles. Now, I'm surprised sports-personalities are willing to go on record about it though, but Paul opened himself up to it by going on Leafs Lunch with his schtick. People kept quiet because it wasn't in the public domain. Although, people have known about that CBC documentary for a long time. Mitch playing for the Leafs magnifies it.

I can think of a few prominent NHLers whose parents have terrible reputations for how they acted when their kids were in minor and junior hockey. Hell, I can think of a couple on our team alone (Nylander and Hyman).

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
O'dog is kept around for his shtick because it's entertaining. If they wanted hard hitting sports knowledge and analysis he'd have been gone long ago.

he is one of the very few hockey players that is willing to talk about the dumb **** that happens in locker rooms.
Exactly. Thats the entire point of the show and a main reason why it works. If anyone can be moved its noodles.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Jonas keeps on eye on things. ;)

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
He loves to hear himself talk and interrupts just to say absolutely nothing.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Makes sense, I'd imagine there's some real benefit in getting paid in $US living in Canada too no? Or does that hurt their case after the conversion when it comes to the tax man?
Tax man applies the tax as if they were Canadian dollars so if for example someone got 60k usd as a salary and was going to pay 50% tax their tax would be 30k usd in Canada

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Yep people talking tax advantages are hilariously out in the dark none of these guys pay more than like 25% tax rates. JT owned a house in Canada during his time as a NYI so he wouldve already been considered a Canadian tax resident. Take it from the guy who works in accounting and financial analysis and is actively pursuing a designation in it

No. I think you should probably take some more classes.

So long as JT or anyone else is a Canadian citizen he has tax responsibilities to the CRA on portions of his income. As an example, all his cap gains on his portfolio investments will be taxed by the CRA. It has nothing to do with him owning a house up here for goodness sakes...he is a Canadian Citizen whether he owns a house or not.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
No. I think you should probably take some more classes.

So long as JT or anyone else is a Canadian citizen he has tax responsibilities to the CRA on portions of his income. As an example, all his cap gains on his portfolio investments will be taxed by the CRA. It has nothing to do with him owning a house up here for goodness sakes...he is a Canadian Citizen whether he owns a house or not.

Determining your residency status - Canada.ca

You can be a citizen and not have to pay tax if you have no primary ties...please refer to the CRA yourself.

Also in another post in this thread i posted the passport was considered a secondary tie (last i checked you cant have a Canadian passport unless youre a citizen lol)

So ya I think the CRA here tells us that citizenship is secondary...and cant be used as a primary factor to determine tax residency.

Masked Superstar

Jul 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
It's been known for years in junior hockey circles. Now, I'm surprised sports-personalities are willing to go on record about it though, but Paul opened himself up to it by going on Leafs Lunch with his schtick. People kept quiet because it wasn't in the public domain. Although, people have known about that CBC documentary for a long time. Mitch playing for the Leafs magnifies it.

I can think of a few prominent NHLers whose parents have terrible reputations for how they acted when their kids were in minor and junior hockey. Hell, I can think of a couple on our team alone (Nylander and Hyman).
I have heard it's fear of a lawsuit that keeps Hymans father off the idle gossip.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Determining your residency status - Canada.ca

You can be a citizen and not have to pay tax if you have no primary ties...please refer to the CRA yourself.

Also in another post in this thread i posted the passport was considered a secondary tie (last i checked you cant have a Canadian passport unless youre a citizen lol)

So ya I think the CRA here tells us that citizenship is secondary...and cant be used as a primary factor to determine tax residency.

To qualify for"Non residency status" you have to cut ALL financial ties to Canada. Including all your investments. This is an extreme step taken when you know you never want to own anything inside canada again or spend much time there or do any business there. You can't own any stocks. You can't own any property. You can't have any dependents there. You can't hold any Canadian holding companies. You can't have "ongoing business" in Canada.

Tavares has never been in a position to claim non residency status and that goes way beyond him owning a house up here.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

yeah that's what I meant by whispers around here, you and a couple of other posters who claim they have inside knowledge have said it or alluded to it. It surprises me the main stream media are going with it (although overdrive is hardly mainstream media) but you get my point

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
To qualify for"Non residency status" you have to cut ALL financial ties to Canada. Including all your investments. This is an extreme step taken when you know you never want to own anything inside canada again or spend much time there or do any business there. You can't own any stocks. You can't own any property. You can't have any dependents there. You can't hold any Canadian holding companies. You can't have "ongoing business" in Canada.

Tavares has never been in a position to claim non residency status and that goes way beyond him owning a house up here.

The CRA website clearly states the prinary factors and secondary factors thats why I linked. Regardless we're going to go in circles we are essentially on the same side here in the sense that a majority of Canadian players are technically Canadian residents depending on how the CRA deems them; which would then imply that guys like Stamkos and Seguib are still paying some level of Canadian tax while being employed by teams in states with no state tax, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad