TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Sometimes a short quip can go a long way.

I laughed this morning on the 690 morning show when Shaun Starr blurted out, for no apparent reason, "Hey, free coffee!!!"

Anyone who listens to the station regularly, will readily recognize that the line was lifted from Simon Tsalikis's super annoying and meaningless ad for his Royal LePage business, that regularly pollutes the station's airwaves.
That free coffee jab should haunt Simon for the rest of his tenure at 690. Who would entrust Simon to sell their most valuable possession over a free coffee?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That free coffee jab should haunt Simon for the rest of his tenure at 690. Who would entrust Simon to sell their most valuable possession over a free coffee?

It's a poorly devised ad delivered by someone who is supposed to have an ability to concoct an effective message (I'm assuming he wrote his own ad). His ad does anything but that.

His tone is off, he comes across as curt and not reassuring. He should have adopted a more calm demeanor. He doesn't inspire confidence.

His coffee quip is seeping to other shows. Used to be that the morning guys would play the coffee one-liner as part of their comedy bits. Now, I've been hearing it on Melnick's show several times over the past few weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
I heard that. Teams that finished atop the Eastern Conference in the regular season haven't done very well in the playoffs in recent history. I haven't checked every single year to see if it's true but it sounds right.

Yes, I just looked online all the way back to 2004, that was the stat. Nevermind a #1 Eastern team winning the cup, none even made it to the Cup final since TB in 04.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here we go with another episode of Marinaro Goes Nuts on Air following a Habs loss.

Here comes his usual schtick. He calls a gas station cause during the Habs broadcast last night, Momesso said the Habs looked to be out of gas. How lame.

Last edited:

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Here we go with another episode of Marinaro Goes Nuts on Air following a Habs loss.

Here comes his usual schtick. He calls a gas station cause during the Habs broadcast last night, Momesso said the Habs looked out of gas. How lame.

I almost want to listen.... almost.. should I do it??? Its been so long.... I just want to see how bad it is..

What should I do runner?

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I almost want to listen.... almost.. should I do it??? Its been so long.... I just want to see how bad it is..

What should I do runner?

Melnick's show. And maybe the Friday scrum.

Consume responsibly. :D

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Even Melnicks show has it's bad points. First of all, Melnick isn't on the ball nearly as much anymore,. Secondly, Gallo is on it. Third, Melnick pumps this guys tires way too often.

Gallo and Campbell are everywhere. And the "my pillow" thing needs to stop man. Because I can no longer..

As for Tony, I did happen to be listening yesterday and heard that entire segment with the gas station attendant. It's bad man. I mean if you told him this he would respond back with something like "and you'll just keep tuning in blah blah blah"....but it's like yea, I tune in, but I'm not tuning in for any grand insight or anything. He lacks credibility by switching on and off all the time and one day he's all for tanking, then he sees them winning so he's pumped and "we're making the playoffs!!!!" and then he's off again...I tune in for a chuckle at how shockingly low he can stoop on his show to grab any attention whatsoever.

The more and more you listen to TSN690 you realize how unprofessional it is. Aside from Melnick, all the other hosts that had some cred have been let go.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Tony’s fake yelling was too much for me. I usually don’t turn on 690 until his show is over. Nilan is better.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just tuned in to 690 a few minutes ago and I hear Adam Ward and Melnick laughing their heads off.

Ward carries on with "oh my" and "what was seen can't be unseen". And it turns out they were talking about a pic that Ward had seen of Mitch Gallo that he posted somewhere on social media today. He added "I have to get the bleach out of my eyes after seeing Gallo in Barbados, in a bathing suit. I'm feeling nauseous, I'm losing my equilibrium."

They laughed their heads off at this point and Melnick asked on which social media platform the photo was on but Ward played coy and wouldn't say.

And then quipped this classic: "It's the second coming of Danny DeVito in a bathing suit." :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gallo's instagram account:

2wg6jz.jpg

Couldn't come up with the atrocity of a pic, so I settled for the above.

Maybe one of our entrepreneurial posters can locate it. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickles

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
On the Quiz this morning they had to list their four most annoying media personalities and McKenna said Marinaro. Pretty apparent that he wasn't kidding. Was funny but a little awkward too.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We need that Gallo in a bathing suit pic that he posted on one of his social media accounts today.

Anyone?

It could break the internets.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
We need that Gallo in a bathing suit pic that he posted on one of his social media accounts today.

Anyone?

It could break the internets.

It’s on Instagram @mitchygallo and is just a silhouette. It’s benign in every sense.

Nilan was being his usual nuanced self today. CJ usage of KK is fine because he is the coach and knows best. Any disagreement is calling CJ an idiot.

For someone who likes to present himself as doing as he pleases, he often relies on the appeal to authority argument.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s on Instagram @mitchygallo and is just a silhouette. It’s benign in every sense.

It wasn't there earlier, when Ward was talking about it.

Can't be that this is the image that got him so worked up. I agree, nothing special about it.

2wgywm.jpg

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
On the Quiz this morning they had to list their four most annoying media personalities and McKenna said Marinaro. Pretty apparent that he wasn't kidding. Was funny but a little awkward too.
LOL, yah I caught that too. McKenna has also called out Pierre McGuire a few times. Ouch, I wonder what the bosses have to say about that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Another day, another lambasting by Aaron Ward about the vacationing Mitch Gallo in Barbados.

This time, he took him to task for sucking his stomach in this pic that Gallo posted on Instagram today:

dctKORZ.jpg

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
oh my. what happened to DIck Irvins, Danny Gallivans, Ted Tevans, Rene Lecavaliers of the past? why do you have to be a high-school dropout or a mental midget to be Habs' manager or broadcaster nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad