TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Few times in the last week now
Morning show not knowing how the playoff format works . I know it's weird but should you not know that or at the very least after the first time , look it up .

Reactions: CDN24

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Ohh.. Nilan getting a bit testy with Melnick on the scrum and telling him not to put words in his mouth. Don't mess with the big dog Chris. :)

Melnick now giving it to Tony for always wanting to trade Gallagher. I love it when the scrum or whatever they call it now gets loud. :D

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Melnick's pretty grumpy lately. He was testy with Alfieri yesterday too. Tony deserves it though. He was talking about trading Gallagher all during his show and one of the texters called it 'radio clickbait' which I thought was apt.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ohh.. Nilan getting a bit testy with Melnick on the scrum and telling him not to put words in his mouth. Don't mess with the big dog Chris. :)

Melnick now giving it to Tony for always wanting to trade Gallagher. I love it when the scrum or whatever they call it now gets loud. :D

I've been noticing over several weeks how Tony easily gets intimidated by Melnick. The latter can be pretty curt and condescending, he doesn't take all that well to Marinaro's low IQ. Marinaro says the dumbest things in the scrum, often times you can't tell he does this for a living. At least someone is keeping him honest once a week on that station. The rest of the time, his wife probably takes him to task even more. Once a donkey, always a donkey.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I've been noticing over several weeks how Tony easily gets intimidated by Melnick. The latter can be pretty curt and condescending, he doesn't take all that well to Marinaro's low IQ. Marinaro says the dumbest things in the scrum, often times you can't tell he does this for a living. At least someone is keeping him honest once a week on that station. The rest of the time, his wife probably takes him to task even more. Once a donkey, always a donkey.
what was the crack Mitch made today? "tony this isn't lasalle and you aren't discussing rumours over cookies in high school'? LOL or something to that effect

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
what was the crack Mitch made today? "tony this isn't lasalle and you aren't discussing rumours over cookies in high school'? LOL or something to that effect

Something along those lines, like "Tony, this ain't Lasalle high school anymore where you're having cookies with your friends."

Ouch. When someone puts you front and center in a high school joke and there is no comeback, they've pretty much sealed your fate.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Something along those lines, like "Tony, this ain't Lasalle high school anymore where you're having cookies with your friends."

Ouch. When someone puts you front and center in a high school joke and there is no comeback, they've pretty much sealed your fate.
yup lol

Reactions: Runner77

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Melnick only went after Tony so he wouldn't look weak after Nilan screamed at him .

Last edited:

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
...........? what,explain please.
Nilan screamed at Melnick telling him not to speak for him or say things he didn't say . Melnick didn't respond to Nilan likely because he's afraid to instead he went after Tony for something he said so he wouldn't seem weak to those listening .

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Melnick = jack turd

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Melnick = jack turd

Melnick has anger management issues and you often see it when he rips into those that he deems to be his inferiors. Really too bad. Jack Todd is on a whole other level of antagonism and arrogance, he's not comparable to Melnick.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I stopped listening... based on these latest comments it appears it was a wise choice.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
More Marinaro zany moments from this morning's show. It's worth to listen just for the hilarious stuff he comes up with.

Starts the show about the diet he's following now, which comes from his soccer friend Sandro Grande. It requires him to eat only between noon and 8PM, so he's doing the show on an empty stomach.

He immediately starts complaining. Says he's drinking a lot of water with lemon juice. And then he blurts out "I'm nauseous. I'm feeling nauseous." :laugh:

He's doing a diet that's not sustainable with the work hours he has, he's struggling.

So listeners start texting him with their diet suggestions. He reads them off and disses them. "Not for me". Then, he reads a final text "Tony, I have the solution for you. You should follow this diet. It works. I have a high metabolism ..." Marinaro stops reading the text and comments "I'm sorry but I can't read this on air." :laugh: High metabolism. :laugh:

He then proceeds to rattle off nostalgically, all the stuff he's given up, you know like pasta, pizza, subs, bread and several other flour based products that he gobbles down in a typical week. Jeez, I wonder why he needs a diet.

Follows that up with a lame interview with a TSN guy who did a story for W5, where he followed two kids (one in soccer, one in hockey) and did a comparative report on costs, training etc. At the end of it, Tony is visibly struggling to ask questions, his new empty stomach diet was killing him. So, he goes on default mode and asks the reporter a brainless question: "Did you like doing the story?"

The reporter was taken aback. There was a pause. Followed by "Well Tony, we do a lot of stories." :laugh:

What else was he going to say? He wasn't going to crap on his own story and put his job at risk.

I don't listen for sports content anymore. The unintended comedic fallout has me cracking up.

The Friday scrum is coming. Stay tuned for Melnick ripping into Tony as he does every week.

Last edited:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Great interview this afternoon with Chris Nilan and Devin Setaguchi (sp) on 690. Should be on their podcast page. DS was heartfelt in discussing his issues and career.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You knew this would happen.

Bootlicker Campbell finally comes back from a Habs road trip where he filled for Robertson and saw him spending time in NY and California.

So today on Habs Lunch, he's all pumped about his experience and pretends he's now part of an exclusive club of NHL team broadcasters. Dan Robertson joins the show to provide a brief update on Hab news, as he always does.

Robertson talks about players's frame of mind this time of year and how motivated they are when in a playoff race.

Campbell can't let Robertson do his thing without feeling obligated to remind him how he had access to priviliged info thanks to replacing him. He tells Robertson, something like:

You know, to add to what you just said, I had the opportunity to interview Jonathan Drouin during the time I was broadcasting Habs's games and I asked him: "Are you having fun?"
puke.gif
puke.gif
puke.gif

I can only imagine what Drouin must have been thinking. "Oh, I'm having a blast. I show up 1 game out of 5, collect a huge paycheck and don't give 2 shits. Meantime, a replacement 690 idiot is asking these assinine softball questions that are making me look like a champ. What a godsend. Can't wait to share a laugh about this with the boys later."

Was Campbell asking as a fan, a broadcaster or as an impressionable simpleton in awe of Drouin? What kind of stupid question is that? How is that newsworthy? You spend 10 games on the road with the Habs and this is the big news tidbit you have to offer?

When his comment fell flat, he tried to save face with a self-deprecating comment about how much Robertson must have been missed. Robertson jumped on that and said, "Oh I know. A lot of listeners have written to me on twitter how much they couldn't wait for me to return on Hab radio broadcasts."

Reactions: Pickles

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Was there anyone listening yesterday afternoon just after 430 PM, they were talking about Tampa's chances to win the cup, someone dropped a stat about how no team who's won the east, yadda yadda yadda hasn't been to the Cup Final since Tampa in 04. But I forget the details, I recall saying how odd of a stat it was.

Anyone?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Was there anyone listening yesterday afternoon just after 430 PM, they were talking about Tampa's chances to win the cup, someone dropped a stat about how no team who's won the east, yadda yadda yadda hasn't been to the Cup Final since Tampa in 04. But I forget the details, I recall saying how odd of a stat it was.

Anyone?

I heard that. Teams that finished atop the Eastern Conference in the regular season haven't done very well in the playoffs in recent history. I haven't checked every single year to see if it's true but it sounds right.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
I heard that. Teams that finished atop the Eastern Conference in the regular season haven't done very well in the playoffs in recent history. I haven't checked every single year to see if it's true but it sounds right.
There does seem to be a few upsets in the east in that regard. I’d be curious to see the stay as well.

Also, whoever that Gordon guy was that was replacing Nilan on Monday, I like him. Sean Gordon i think.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There does seem to be a few upsets in the east in that regard. I’d be curious to see the stay as well.

Also, whoever that Gordon guy was that was replacing Nilan on Monday, I like him. Sean Gordon i think.

The building janitor can probably top Nilan. It would be refreshing to hear someone in the 2PM slot who can put two words together without hemming and hawing like Nilan or who is so disgustingly a Habs shill without an ounce of critical judgment like Cliché-Mongerer Campbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad