TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Heard his interview on 690 last weekend. Maione would make a great KHL correspondent, he's interesting to listen to.

The NHL should take note of this and have their players do something more than just hockey skills and a dud game at the ASG event.

Also got coverage on Sportsnet:

What is that mascot at 2:54:

Where'd they get that costume, at a dollar store:

2scsqx.gif

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Marinaro just had Brendan Kelly on who he said during his opening that he exaggerates things a bit, which is common in the business says Tony, but then said Kelly goes over the top at times and needs to be reeled back in.

Sounds to me like Tony just exactly described himself since he does the exact same thing of exaggerating things and going over the top at times. Only difference being Tony is doing it on the radio while Kelly does it in a newspaper.

Although to be fair to Tony he's more of a Habs shill now and doesn't talk very much negativity towards MB and the Habs anymore, while Kelly still seems to take the negative approach towards the Habs pretty much all the time.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Kelly is just like the Habs board. Hyperbole and bi-polarity. Tony is more like the main board. The mentality of a 12 year old.

Only hear super negative comments about on air talent there, hard to please everyone all of the time,but just take it.Not a fan of everything,but just tune out when gets annoying,just way too many people that can't cope with what is. At least it has a Montreal flavor,which is pretty unique if you have traveled extensively.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
That sucks for Price. I used to enjoy his evening show on that multicultural channel after he was let go from 690. I hope he finds another hosting job soon. Probably beyond their budget but I thought Price, McKenna and Starr would be a better lineup for the morning show; Moffat's away for so much of the year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Price had been doing podcasts after he was let go by 690. Maybe he'll go back to that.

The radio business is just brutal.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
That sucks for Price. I used to enjoy his evening show on that multicultural channel after he was let go from 690. I hope he finds another hosting job soon. Probably beyond their budget but I thought Price, McKenna and Starr would be a better lineup for the morning show; Moffat's away for so much of the year.
Anyone notice how Starr has outlasted all of them? Who knew laughing at your own jokes and having only weird takes is the perfect recipe for longevity?

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Surfed on 690 this afternoon, enough time to catch Dennis Bernstein and the problem of the rich, as he's attending the Super Bowl but somehow, I'm supposed to feel sorry for him about whether he should be buying first class seats on his flight.

And then Moe Kahn happened. Again. He sounds like he's 5 minutes away from a bath salts rampage. He can't say one damn sentence without enunciating. Run-in words, incomplete thoughts followed by jibberish. Like a linebacker who got his brain pummeled over a 10 year career. Maybe that's why they think he's an "expert".

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Anyone notice how Starr has outlasted all of them? Who knew laughing at your own jokes and having only weird takes is the perfect recipe for longevity?

I was looking at the comments on the news reports about Elliott Price and people were talking about how Greg Brady is the Toronto sports media guy who inexplicably survives all cuts and somehow survives. I guess Starr is the Montreal equivalent. Everyone else can be axed, but he lives on. I'm actually fine with Starr as a complementary guy on the show, but the morning show has certainly gone through a lot of people.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
God awful Marinaro Valentine's day schtick on 690. Sounds like a major creeper playing cupid with couples, making a big hoola-baloo about baseball tickets his station gave away to an unlucky couple.

Worst part is the woman in the couple, when reminded about getting the free baseball tickets, blurts out to Tony: "is there anything else"? :laugh:

And now, he's carrying on like Ted Tevan used to do except he possesses nowhere near the class and vocabulary Tevan had. "You grab the feet, you massage the feet. Do I have to teach you everything? You tell her it's hot and the night will be getting even hotter. You give her a kiss. You go back to the feet." :laugh:

Reactions: DXStriker

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
God awful Marinaro Valentine's day schtick on 690. Sounds like a major creeper playing cupid with couples, making a big hoola-baloo about baseball tickets his station gave away to an unlucky couple.

Worst part is the woman in the couple, when reminded about getting the free baseball tickets, blurts out to Tony: "is there anything else"? :laugh:

And now, he's carrying on like Ted Tevan used to do except he possesses nowhere near the class and vocabulary Tevan had. "You grab the feet, you massage the feet. Do I have to teach you everything? You tell her it's hot and the night will be getting even hotter. You give her a kiss. You go back to the feet." :laugh:

Tony goes into creeper mode when he does these things lol

He has different very bad modes lol I can't remember the last time I listened to him other than the Friday Scrum where Melnick keeps him in check

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tony goes into creeper mode when he does these things lol

He has different very bad modes lol I can't remember the last time I listened to him other than the Friday Scrum where Melnick keeps him in check

Melnick has no filter sometimes, he just loses it when Tony blurts out one of his ill-conceived theories. Probably the best part of the scrum when both Nilan and Melnick rip into him and he has no comebacker, just keeps getting incoherent.

The morning guys have been taking shots at Simon's commercial and every once in a while, they'll play that snippet "Hey, free coffee!!" It's rare to see them poke fun at one of their own, which makes it even more hilarious.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Melnick and Nilan only ones that can keep Tony in check. Melnick just shuts him down with logic and Nilan just intimidates him with real world bully behavior lol .

Reactions: DXStriker

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Damn Melnick and his Robert Zimmerman tunes. So friggin' lame.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
marinaro on air, comes to a dead stop discussing habs as soon as he gets offered free pizza. literally talking about it for 5 mins

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
marinaro on air, comes to a dead stop discussing habs as soon as he gets offered free pizza. literally talking about it for 5 mins

Quebec Pizza in Fabreville. He’s headed there after the show. :laugh:

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
Has anybody tried the new "Hi-Def" radio with the TSN 690 station? Was just wondering about the range and whether the hi-def signal has as much of a spread as the AM signal does?

I can get the AM signal through most of my commute between Ottawa and Brockville area.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Damn Melnick and his Robert Zimmerman tunes. So friggin' lame.
You have to be smoking some good s%$it to listen to Melnick he rants for 10 min about a restaurant then goes to a commercial for another 10 min.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You have to be smoking some good s%$it to listen to Melnick he rants for 10 min about a restaurant then goes to a commercial for another 10 min.

That's what a radio dial or presets are for. I think you always have to listen selectively as even the best of them are capable of the worst -- you just need to be around when they're at their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->