TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
He just waxes poetic too much. Always sounding so ornery and arcane.

The worst part is when he gets into a long-winded sentence, interrupts it with "autrement dit", and then engages into an even worse, interminable spewage of words that have no business being spoken and that provide no added value or relevance to the points attempted to be made. Other than perhaps trying too hard to show off that he's well-versed in synonyms.

Stépane Langdeau -- talk about a guy who has fallen off a cliff. From the heights of a guaranteed, high visibility job on RDS to clutching at whatever unwanted time slot is vacated at 91.9FM -- which itself is falling off its own cliff. He could star in the next remake of Falling Down.

For a lot of years I was also in your camp, but Lajoie grew on me the past few years. I first learned about him when he was doing his daily editorial on CKAC and I remember one time he got caught literally copy-pasting a "quatrième de couverture" of a book. I've always been intrigued by his "verve", creativeness with la langue de molière, colorful expressions and for being a straight-shooter, but he was still getting my nerves, as he was more often than not too much.

But I started listening to him at 919sports when I learned that Mathias Brunet was on his show, as he's one my favourite Hockey journalists out there. So I started by listening to that segment and was instantly hooked. Listening to Réjean Tremblay was also a lot of fun on most days since he's also not afraid to say what's what. Brunet's segment timing was perfect because it coincided with the last few minutes of my day at my internship when I was wrapping things. Since I discovered "L'Épreuve des faits", I haven't missed many daily segments because it was always entertaining and listening to those two debating, getting angry at each other.

Honestly his show was a lot of fun to listen to and I'm going to miss it. It was a staple in my day when I was in Scotland. It would keep me in the know of what was happening in the sporting world and in the province. I'm happy for JiCé as he deserves to keep top airtime and in my mind he brings a lot of credibility to TVA Sports. They have many interesting talking heads (Jean, Chainey, Pednault, Bergy, Lord, Goulet, Fichaud).

Reactions: Kimota

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've listened to Lajoie from his humble beginnings, when he was on a sports show that took place around a conference table that featured Langevin, Ciccone and a couple of others. Lajoie played a minor role in it. He interacted with online fans and provided fan reaction and trendlines gathered from social media.

He was effective in this role as he produced material in small doses. This is the only way I can listen to him.

Once he's being afforded a larger forum, he just likes to hear himself talk. His expressions are over the top, never quite gets to the point and when he does, he never takes the shortest path to get there. While he possesses an impressive vocabulary, his sentence structures leave to be desired, his constant inclination to say the same thing in different ways, in mid-sentence, is supremely frustrating.

I won't miss his interactions with Reggie Tremblay, especially when both of them would revel in their affinities for identity politics as if their audience was only made up of individuals from a certain political party or de souche. Reggie is a demagogue nationalist who uses sports as a means to spew his political morass -- not something I want to listen to when I turn to sports.

Quite the opposite, I want to forget the toxic world of politics -- but no, Lajoie and Tremblay will far too often make it about language, race and nationalism -- it's downright disrespectful to their larger audience and comes across as cheap pandering. This type of radio was much more common in the 80s and it caused its share of animosity and ethnophobia. Here we are several years later and both dinosaurs think they are doing some type of public service by fanning the flames of divisiveness.

From the lot at TVA Spanre, Chainey is probably the one with the most practical approach and a wealth of knowledge that remains topical despite many years removed from the scouting business. He generally comes across as knowing his stuff even though he's off the track many times. He probably still has several contacts in the business. The others are either empty suits or have a clownish demeanor that belittles what they're trying to convey. They're appealing to your Journal de Montréal reader, the more hyperbole the better.

What would be a far greater loss is if Mathias Brunet were not afforded a place on the public airwaves any longer. Quite the opposite, Brunet is the one who should have earned a promotion over the likes of Lajoie. In fact, a lot of those who used to appear on 91.9FM as guests of Langevin and Ciccone, deserve their own show as they more often than not, managed to outshine the hosts of the show.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I'm surprised rds never attempted sports radio, seems like it would be right up their alley. I thought they would always go that route much like espn and tsn.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would watch TVA sport with J.C every day but I just can't freaking stand Renauld lavoie, bergy and felix séguin

I don't know how Renaud Lavoie was ever able to carve out a career for himself. He's such an empty vessel and has shown on more than one occasion that there he can't handle contrarian, substantive arguments -- and resorts to the weakest stance one can muster, which is tantamount to saying "don't you know who I am".

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Well that sucks.

That challenge will not last. Guranteed.

Unless they make somethjng like 110% or 109%

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I just wanna say, Latendresse is kinda good as a radio host. He has a really nice radio voice and he speaks pretty well compared to most joueurnaliste

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
When Melnick is gone and Tsalikis is filling in with Gallo it's a complete amateur hour. While listening to them both you just get the feeling that these 2 guys just don't seem to like each other much. :dunno: They've been bickering back and forth about different Habs players ever since the show started today. I don't think Joey as opened his mouth yet since the show started today because both of these guys won't stop bickering.

Reactions: DXStriker

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I don't know how Renaud Lavoie was ever able to carve out a career for himself. He's such an empty vessel and has shown on more than one occasion that there he can't handle contrarian, substantive arguments -- and resorts to the weakest stance one can muster, which is tantamount to saying "don't you know who I am".

hes because he was an ''insider'' when he was in RDS , He had all the chance in the world to travel with RDS under Bell's name. Managed to talk to several people sadly and then dip RDS for unknown reasons. Because now hes the Marc Denis of RDS but Marc Denis is actually intelligent and knows about hockey compared to Renaud whos a Dwarf and probably do weekly handjobs to stay where he is.

He probably got paid more since 95% of TVA sports habs people are literally coming from RDS.

Reactions: DXStriker

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
OfficialScrawnyCaimanlizard-max-1mb.gif
I've listened to Lajoie from his humble beginnings, when he was on a sports show that took place around a conference table that featured Langevin, Ciccone and a couple of others. Lajoie played a minor role in it. He interacted with online fans and provided fan reaction and trendlines gathered from social media.

He was effective in this role as he produced material in small doses. This is the only way I can listen to him.

Once he's being afforded a larger forum, he just likes to hear himself talk. His expressions are over the top, never quite gets to the point and when he does, he never takes the shortest path to get there. While he possesses an impressive vocabulary, his sentence structures leave to be desired, his constant inclination to say the same thing in different ways, in mid-sentence, is supremely frustrating.

I won't miss his interactions with Reggie Tremblay, especially when both of them would revel in their affinities for identity politics as if their audience was only made up of individuals from a certain political party or de souche. Reggie is a demagogue nationalist who uses sports as a means to spew his political morass -- not something I want to listen to when I turn to sports.

Quite the opposite, I want to forget the toxic world of politics -- but no, Lajoie and Tremblay will far too often make it about language, race and nationalism -- it's downright disrespectful to their larger audience and comes across as cheap pandering. This type of radio was much more common in the 80s and it caused its share of animosity and ethnophobia. Here we are several years later and both dinosaurs think they are doing some type of public service by fanning the flames of divisiveness.

From the lot at TVA Spanre, Chainey is probably the one with the most practical approach and a wealth of knowledge that remains topical despite many years removed from the scouting business. He generally comes across as knowing his stuff even though he's off the track many times. He probably still has several contacts in the business. The others are either empty suits or have a clownish demeanor that belittles what they're trying to convey. They're appealing to your Journal de Montréal reader, the more hyperbole the better.

What would be a far greater loss is if Mathias Brunet were not afforded a place on the public airwaves any longer. Quite the opposite, Brunet is the one who should have earned a promotion over the likes of Lajoie. In fact, a lot of those who used to appear on 91.9FM as guests of Langevin and Ciccone, deserve their own show as they more often than not, managed to outshine the hosts of the show.

Lemme give you an encore......incredibly put together. You are some fantastic writer J

OfficialScrawnyCaimanlizard-max-1mb.gif

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
When Melnick is gone and Tsalikis is filling in with Gallo it's a complete amateur hour. While listening to them both you just get the feeling that these 2 guys just don't seem to like each other much. :dunno: They've been bickering back and forth about different Habs players ever since the show started today. I don't think Joey as opened his mouth yet since the show started today because both of these guys won't stop bickering.

Completely agree. It’s on par with bad college radio station or students taking with each other. If not for TSN lumping them with actual talent like MacKenzie, LeBrun, Ferraro etc. it wouldn’t be listenable at all.

Special shout out to the dumbest Morning show in radio. Only talent in the morning in Price and he was fired and moved on to better things in Toronto where all the real talent goes.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Tsalikis and Gallo don't like each other but not as much as we don't like either of them.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Sport radio in general losing Lajoie is a huge blow. Not that I was a big fan of his ego and yea he was leaning a certain politically. That said, he added a certain color to the landcape and that is important as far as radio. You cannot just have a couple of safe good guys that says the same things as every other. Lajoie's flaws made him interesting. And that's the type of guy you needed as far leading the charge of a radio station. Now the same station while competent feels leaderless when you listen to them. In many ways JC Lajoie who I felt was awkward on Tv most of the time I've seen him was perfect for radio. Hell sometime the content was not that great but him talking to the guys behind the scene, joking with them that they forgot something or imitating Pierre Rinfrait was the sort of "all over the place" stuff that made Lajoie unique. The last time I heard someone speak to Réjean Tremblay, the guys were all polite whereas JC would yank his chain all the time, would call him out on stuff. You have to have a big personality to face a big personality to make things interesting. (that is why I thought for years that Coach's corner would have been better if Cherry have had someone with an equaly big personality to oppose him every weekend).

Furthermore, he created the station, meaning he turned it into what it became, making it a 100% a sport station and he was the champion of sport radio, he believed in it. And would defend it constantly. Now i have heard that there was many cuts and along with Ciconne leaving for politics, I have the feeling that JC did not want to be stuck in something like what happened to CKAC Sport once again so he went to TVA.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There was nothing more repugnant to me than listening to Lajoie and Tremblay engage in their separatist rants, demagoguery and language-based diatribe.

You can be an interesting broadcaster without delving into a cesspool of identity politics that a listener doesn't need to be exposed to when seeking to listen to a sports show. There are other outlets better suited to that garbage if someone is truly enthused at the idea of that type of fodder.

Also, Lajoie's style is burdensome. He does a lot of ad libbing based on "du sur place", essentially going endlessly in circles without always developing an idea for debate, but incessantly attempting to find a myriad of alternate ways of saying it. I've heard him all too many times say "autrement dit" for a simple phrase that requires no further explanation but only as an excuse for him to vomit a truckload of flowery expressions that are devoid of context or actual meaning. It's damn annoying to listen to.

If I want repetitive jibberish that use expressions for the hell of it, I can always go listen in on a poetry evening and contemplate whether it was a better option than getting smashed for having considered the idea in the first place. This is exactly what it feels like to listen to Lavoie. There is something disturbingly arcane about him -- it's the guy who has a story to tell but he needs to "emprunter 40 chemins" to get to the point. It really does get under your skin and that's even before Reggie the Hopeless Demagogue is added to the mix.

It had gotten to the point where I reluctantly had been listening to Lavoie and Reggie, it was more of a drive by listen when there was nothing on the other stations.

Honestly, good riddance Lavoie. And if you want to do politics, then join a political party and stop pretending you're doing a goddamn sports show. Cause quite clearly, you're not, you wannabe political hack.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
a 1998 (French) interview with Claude Julien, was still with Hull in Junior, but contemplated interest from the NHL.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I barely tune into any of the BS thats on TSN 690 now.
As sheed has stated Melnick is about the only thing worth a listen. Everything after that... not worth it.
I can never get past his 20 mins music intro he has before his show.

Reactions: bsl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad