TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pierre McGuire appears to be getting a demotion.
The longtime hockey analyst has been removed from NBC Sports' No. 1 hockey broadcast crew and will be replaced by Brian Boucher, a source told The Athletic's Rick Carpiniello.

I didn't read the article so if there is confirmation that it's a demotion, then my following guess is pointless. But it may also be McGuire who asked to get less of a workload/ With his cancer treatments last year, he admitted in one segment with Melnick that all of the traveling and games had taken a toll on him.

Reactions: Tighthead

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pierre McGuire appears to be getting a demotion.
The longtime hockey analyst has been removed from NBC Sports' No. 1 hockey broadcast crew and will be replaced by Brian Boucher, a source told The Athletic's Rick Carpiniello.

McGuire haters celebrated a tad early when his removal from NBC’s no. 1 crew was announced:

Then came a follow up tweet:

As Adam Michaels states above, who knows if it’s not McGuire himself who asked for it.

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Heard McGuire’s segment on Melnick’s show today where he was asked about the news regarding his demotion by NBC.

McGuire denied it was a demotion. He said that after having worked on mostly eastern games for 14 years and never traveling past Minnesota except for a few playoff games, he decided that he wanted to cover western teams. Says he doesn’t know how this got turned into a demotion.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
With September upon us, it also means the return of a lot of great pundits on 690. Great time of year.

Last edited:

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Heard McGuire’s segment on Melnick’s show today where he was asked about the news regarding his demotion by NBC.

McGuire denied it was a demotion. He said that after having worked on mostly eastern games for 14 years and never traveling past Minnesota except for a few playoff games, he decided that he wanted to cover western teams. Says he doesn’t know how this got turned into a demotion.

It's called spin.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
McGuire, Mackenzie, Ward, Ferraro, Lebrun, Gord Miller, etc... This is why we listen. Love it.

I still don't get the hate for Pierre as Melnick mentioned yesterday.

Let's not forget Marc Denis in the morning. All of these guys are like a treasure trove -- they can spin a great story or present a bold manner of seeing something that may have eluded us -- a lot of what they are going to say is not predictable. Love the comedy and repartee angle mixed in with great substantive content.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Let's not forget Marc Denis in the morning. All of these guys are like a treasure trove -- they can spin a great story or present a bold manner of seeing something that may have eluded us -- a lot of what they are going to say is not predictable. Love the comedy and repartee angle mixed in with great substantive content.

Yup, how did I forget Denis, he's excellent.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I'll try.

I've been using NHL GameCenter for the past few years to stream games. Worked well.
However, usually by now they would have had emails/promos etc to renew subscription. When going to their website there is no info on pricing and packages. (at least not that I can find)

Anyone has any info on what's the deal with Gamecenter this year? Thanks.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I'll try.

I've been using NHL GameCenter for the past few years to stream games. Worked well.
However, usually by now they would have had emails/promos etc to renew subscription. When going to their website there is no info on pricing and packages. (at least not that I can find)

Anyone has any info on what's the deal with Gamecenter this year? Thanks.

Features that take you beyond the live streaming experience

I assume it's coming soon. The above page has general info for 2019-2020, but the "Pricing and Packages" link isn't yet working.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Forgot to mention how Grang McCagg was on Marinaro's show yesterday morning. He was his usual grumpy self, very irate sounding. He claims he "worked hard" on the Rookie Tournament and then pimped his site in a desperado kind of way (what else is new). His commentary was mostly cliched and delved in generalities with a lot of hesitations, basically the usual boring fare. How this guy even gets on the air is beyond me.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
AC's first show of the season features a slightly altered set and concept.

They now have their contributors standing up at a round table to open the show. The table is a few feet away from their blue couches. They'll begin a debate at the round table and then cut to the blue couches where others will chime in. It looks like they took a page from DM's show where there is a lot of standing around when they're discussing and cutting to sitting individuals in order to break the flow and make it less predictable.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
McGuire, Mackenzie, Ward, Ferraro, Lebrun, Gord Miller, etc... This is why we listen. Love it.

I still don't get the hate for Pierre as Melnick mentioned yesterday.

People hate on Pierre because hes a huge nerd and awkward. That said, im sure everyone respects his love for the game and his passion, everyone who posts on HF can relate to this.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I dont like AC first show, I dont like the new format. What the hell is wrong with Gaston today. I saw him on 3 shows and all 3 times he was super negative on the habs and MB.
Negative on all fronts. Habs wont make the playoffs, has are not better this year, rookies are not any good yet and wont be for 3 years. MB should have offered 1 billion for AHO and 50 first picks. All this without seeing any rookies play 1 game. So why wont he just quit the AC show until the habs win a cup. He has a right to his opinion YES but if all I gewt from his all year is MB BAD, HABS BAD, MOLSON BAD, CJ BAD, ROOKIES BAD, PLAYERS BAD, ZAMBONI BAD, then go be BAD somewhere else I don't need all this BAD.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
People hate on Pierre because hes a huge nerd and awkward. That said, im sure everyone respects his love for the game and his passion, everyone who posts on HF can relate to this.

I don't really see him like that but hey different strokes...

I think a lot hate on him because of his time in management back in the 90s where some shit went down but whatever, move along. He's quite insightful and everyone has skeletons.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't really see him like that but hey different strokes...

I think a lot hate on him because of his time in management back in the 90s where some **** went down but whatever, move along. He's quite insightful and everyone has skeletons.

The hate is strong on him! Can relate some,he's such a know it all,knows everybody etc. always with the " I told yo so.......Didn't I tell ya?....I was having.......dinner with the pope!. lol.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Mcguire deserves all the hate he gets, he rarely has any good insight compared to pretty much any other guest on tsn690. I don't remember the last interesting thing he said. Moreover, he is strictly anti-analytics, never admits when he's wrong and has a huge ego.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think it’s a tough act to do 20-25 minutes of material as a guest 5 times a week on a sports show while trying to be topical, bring in new material and try to sound entertaining all at once. Whoever you put in there is bound to irritate you at some point.

The guys that remain entertaining and don’t get on your nerves as much tend to be those who chime in 2-3 times a week, so they’re never on air on consecutive days.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I don't if i should laugh or cry…..but that's how it looks when the media try to promote something.
Poehling, Suzuki….could add Brook, Leskinen even Evans, but Hudon????????
But that's TVA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad