TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB5

May 2, 2015
It's unlistenable right now.

I miss Melnick so much. Jimmy G, Moe Kahn, Simon Tsalikis, Gallo in a host role...so bad...I can barely last for 5 seconds.

The morning show guys are good when there's actual content to talk about. I love Melnick and how he operates but I miss Rod Francis, it's not the same without him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's unlistenable right now.

I miss Melnick so much. Jimmy G, Moe Kahn, Simon Tsalikis, Gallo in a host role...so bad...I can barely last for 5 seconds.

The morning show guys are good when there's actual content to talk about. I love Melnick and how he operates but I miss Rod Francis, it's not the same without him.

Morning show has some flow but it dies out real fast after that.

OB5

May 2, 2015
Morning show has some flow but it dies out real fast after that.
I have all the time in the world for Starr, I'm a big fan of his. I like Connor too. Rick, when he is there, is ok.

Marinaro is a showman and plays a character and anything he says is for ratings and can't be taken seriously.

Nilan is meh, again when he is there it's entertaining but when he's talking about things other than hokey he is way out of his range...he's good in a support capacity and that's why Campbell, who I really like, runs his show.

I like Alfieri and Trentadue, they're good.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have all the time in the world for Starr, I'm a big fan of his. I like Connor too. Rick, when he is there, is ok.

Marinaro is a showman and plays a character and anything he says is for ratings and can't be taken seriously.

Nilan is meh, again when he is there it's entertaining but when he's talking about things other than hokey he is way out of his range...he's good in a support capacity and that's why Campbell, who I really like, runs his show.

I like Alfieri and Trentadue, they're good.

The no. 1 reason I like to listen to 690 is when they are interviewing pundits. Most of the regulars are on break during the summer so those who are replacing now and who don't normally assume host roles, are badly exposed.

I like someone who can intelligently argue and not resort to a ton of cliches. From the staffers, John Still strikes me as someone who is fairly eloquent. Jay Ferrar is also very capable whenever he scoots over from the other station. Marinaro's schtick is tiresome and he's almost all about soccer. Cannot stand Campbell and Gallo and worse when they're together -- I've had the unfortunate experience of catching one of their Saturday shows and it's minor league stuff all the way. To each their own I guess.

Reactions: OB5 and sheed36

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Those who thought Yvon Pedneault was gone and buried from 91.9FM, think again. He's on every day as a contributor on the Gonzo show.

These old stock media guys who haven't broken much and are not very topical somehow always manage to convince someone to give them air time on account of name recognition.

OB5

May 2, 2015
The no. 1 reason I like to listen to 690 is when they are interviewing pundits. Most of the regulars are on break during the summer so those who are replacing now and who don't normally assume host roles, are badly exposed.

I like someone who can intelligently argue and not resort to a ton of cliches. From the staffers, John Still strikes me as someone who is fairly eloquent. Jay Ferrar is also very capable whenever he scoots over from the other station. Marinaro's schtick is tiresome and he's almost all about soccer. Cannot stand Campbell and Gallo and worse when they're together -- I've had the unfortunate experience of catching one of their Saturday shows and it's minor league stuff all the way. To each their own I guess.
Ohhh yeah Jon still has the stuff

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
In the summer months TSN690 should just rename Marinaro's Montreal forum show to "Soccer talk with Tony Marinaro" and Habs lunch to Impact lunch and be done with it.

I'm sure it's enjoyable to the listeners who like soccer and soccer talk but it's not for me. I wonder though how large the drop off in listeners are for TSN690 during the summer months when the Habs aren't playing and there's no Habs news to discuss?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In the summer months TSN690 should just rename Marinaro's Montreal forum show to "Soccer talk with Tony Marinaro" and Habs lunch to Impact lunch and be done with it.

I'm sure it's enjoyable to the listeners who like soccer and soccer talk but it's not for me. I wonder though how large the drop off in listeners are for TSN690 during the summer months when the Habs aren't playing and there's no Habs news to discuss?

I feel the same. Marinaro should just be done with everything else and have a soccer show at some other time slot. Plus, most of his soccer talk involves pumping his buddies’s tires — especially those who are in a position to help his kids advance in the sport. It reeks.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I feel the same. Marinaro should just be done with everything else and have a soccer show at some other time slot. Plus, most of his soccer talk involves pumping his buddies’s tires — especially those who are in a position to help his kids advance in the sport. It reeks.

Yeah that would probably suit him better. I know there hasn't been much of anything Habs related to talk about but there's more going on in sports than just the Impact. I listened to a little this morning and Marinaro said I know what the Impact need and what they don't need and then said "I know talent." He seems pretty full of himself I think. Maybe he should quit radio and take over running the Impact if he thinks he's that much of an expert on running a soccer team.

This has been a very long summer again and right now the Habs can't come back fast enough.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah that would probably suit him better. I know there hasn't been much of anything Habs related to talk about but there's more going on in sports than just the Impact. I listened to a little this morning and Marinaro said I know what the Impact need and what they don't need and then said "I know talent." He seems pretty full of himself I think. Maybe he should quit radio and take over running the Impact if he thinks he's that much of an expert on running a soccer team.

This has been a very long summer again and right now the Habs can't come back fast enough.

Two things.

There is always some Habs stuff to debate and speculate upon. Case in point, Montreal's other full time sports station on the franco side, began scheduling its regulars last Monday and every day they have topics about hockey and pundits weighing in, so it's doable.

That said, summers in Montreal are just begging for another top pro sport to step in. Hopefully the Expos make it back so there'd be a lot more to discuss.

Reactions: peate

Megaforce

TSN 690 has 2 guys with serious speech impediments that wreck the listening experience.
One is incapable of pronouncing "r" he pronounces, for example "three" as "tha-rreee" drives me nuts (Simon Salikas). The other Moe Khan simply can't move his tongue effectively to enunciate.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Kypreos leaving Sportsnet.

Don't know why this took so long, it was like Strombo for me (who I liked), he always seemed out of place with clichés and self aggrandisement.

Interesting to see who replaces him.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
After Kypreos announcing his departure, now MacLean announces his:

Possibly Sportsnet with more cost cutting measures.

Wonder who they will fill the seats with. If it is cost cutting, I cant see poaching TSN talent being an option.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
NHL on Sportsnet has been a disaster from the outset.

From the terrible group of announcers/commentators/"insiders" to American playoff simulcasts; even the sound of the crowd and sound of the game itself doesn't match up to TSN.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wonder who they will fill the seats with. If it is cost cutting, I cant see poaching TSN talent being an option.

It will be interesting who they will put in their spots as both do a lot of games for Sportsnet. Kypreos on more national broadcasts and MacLean did a lot of regional ones. They were also on a lot on HockeyCentral @ Noon.

I know they still have Colby Armstrong and Friedman and Hrudey. Who knows with Kypreos and MacLean gone, they may bring in some new guys who will cost much less for them.

Reactions: Perrah
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad