TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I watched it live on Sunday, Serge was dead serious too. He talked a lot more about his time as GM than as a player this time around.

We were also going to win one/several Cup(s) after 93. :laugh:

I've heard the topic mentioned on TSN690 multiple times today but didn't see it mentioned on this board but wasn't the least bit surprised to not see a thread about Serge's comments. Maybe there was a thread but it was removed. :dunno:

Anyway that's all I'll say about that.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I've heard the topic mentioned on TSN690 multiple times today but didn't see it mentioned on this board but wasn't the least bit surprised to not see a thread about Serge's comments. Maybe there was a thread but it was removed. :dunno:

Anyway that's all I'll say about that.

I don't think there was a dedicated thread for this. Maybe a few comments in the PGT? 5 scouts in the province, hee heeeeee.. hee.

He ran things differently that's for sure. There would have been zeee-RO bull**** with RFAs with this man at the helm.

People think the Bicep Team is intimidating sitting across the table???

Try the real Man Mountain, or GOT Mountain reality type.. that's Serge Savard and a pair of hands that can crush your skull. Likely in the literal sense.

Reactions: sheed36

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Although Serge's vision of hockey is dépassé a tad, I do think he's right about better scouting the Q. People think about the Francos only, but there are pretty good players in the Maritimes, and the Euros are talented. Yes, the Abramovs and Timashovs and, oh! the Kucherovs and Palats are not bad...Timmins hates the league. You go talk to Q arena rats and talk to them. Timmins doesn't believe in Q players.unless they have solid athletic abilities. Boisvert is there for the show.

It's a fact that MB is not fond of the alumni, never was. Is he right? You may think like him and it's all good.

Let's just say that if not for the alumni, this franchise would be a welfare, no name franchise. And MB would not be making 5M per. He should understand where this billion dollar franchise comes from.

Oh! And Serge could buy MB three times. He's an accomplished business person. He did that without millions in salary.

Plus, he was a hell.of a hockey player, not a mediocre journeyman.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Anyone have any idea if Pierre Lebrun will be back on TSN690 this season? He was usually on Melnick's show on Tuesday's and Thursday's @ 6 but he hasn't been on yet AFAIK and the season is already started.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Anyone have any idea if Pierre Lebrun will be back on TSN690 this season? He was usually on Melnick's show on Tuesday's and Thursday's @ 6 but he hasn't been on yet AFAIK and the season is already started.

Maybe they cut into collaborators? TSN690 isnt exactly ricb.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mitch Gallo on twitter telling Serge Savard to "Shut up" and what he said is "Such nonsense" over his recent comments. :laugh: Serge stirring the pot with the topic that is strictly forbidden on this board.

wLN43db.gif

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The didn't bring Frankie Gagnon back this year so it's quite possible. I hope not though since I enjoyed listening to Lebrun during his TSN690 segments.

I don't mind LeBrun but I prefer Pierre, Ferraro and Miller on the afternoon show.

Not sure if Aaron Ward is back this season. They may be looking for a sponsor for him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The didn't bring Frankie Gagnon back this year so it's quite possible. I hope not though since I enjoyed listening to Lebrun during his TSN690 segments.

I hope not as well. Losing Lebrun would be terrible, he was always fun to listen to.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm all for adding scouts in Quebec. I'm all for adding scouts everywhere else, too.

Also worth noting, when Serge Savard was a GM, the Europeans were not as developed as they were after his tenure, and more particularly, today. The ocean of prospects available at the draft is a lot more vast than it was when he was the GM. There are also the the American colleges who offer more prospects to select from.

If they're worried about the Habs and MB not looking to Quebec for talent, they need to look at what they're doing with the Rocket. Yea, that's not the NHL team, which is their wish, but Ouellet, Belzile, Alain, Culkin, Waked, Teasdale, Lamarche, Pelletier, Adams-Moisan are all local players.. Last year they signed Depres (AHL), Grenier, Martineau, Marcoux, Chaput, signed Philippe Hudon and Marco Roy to a PTO. The year before they had Gelinas, Gregoire, Veilleux, Simon Bourque, and Fucale.

Yes, they're not NHL caliber players. But it's not Montreal's fault these guys are all minor leaguers (with maybe an exception here and there with NHL depth potential). The Habs still make sure to bring in local players in the organization.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Melnick interviewing Mike Boone who has retired from his Habs blog. Says he's been having health issues. He's 71 now. Diagnosed with prostate cancer 3 years ago and has had malignant tumors in his bladder.

I used to read Boone many eons ago in The Gazette. He was shifted about from sports to the city beat, but one thing remained a constant. He had a unique take on everything -- from the sophisticated to the most mundane things and in many ways, he was overqualified to do sports, his mind seemed to wander ever so readily into witty and creative pursuits, which always made him a uniquely fun read.

Boone was the beat writer covering the Expos when they won 95 games.

He was also a rock'n roll critic who covered concerts for a while and who was also assigned to act as a critic on radio and TV.

He was on the sports beat for a good 10 years, did the city beat and then they had him do a hockey blog.

I lost track of him over the years as there is just so much material out there and had not bothered to look up what he had been up to. But, he was one of the good ones, a unique talent for writing and staying relevant. A rigorous old school guy but who had a huge sense of humor and knew how to turn a phrase into a work of art.

Enjoy your retirement Mike. I wish you good health. And thanks for all you've done. You're truly one of the greats -- never once do I remember you saying anything disrespectful about anyone. A real pro. And listening to this interview, comes across as a heck of a nice guy.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Last Prime Time Sports show on air right now. As of Monday it will be re-branded and moved to a different time slot.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Melnick interviewing Mike Boone who has retired from his Habs blog. Says he's been having health issues. He's 71 now. Diagnosed with prostate cancer 3 years ago and has had malignant tumors in his bladder.

I used to read Boone many eons ago in The Gazette. He was shifted about from sports to the city beat, but one thing remained a constant. He had a unique take on everything -- from the sophisticated to the most mundane things and in many ways, he was overqualified to do sports, his mind seemed to wander ever so readily into witty and creative pursuits, which always made him a uniquely fun read.

Boone was the beat writer covering the Expos when they won 95 games.

He was also a rock'n roll critic who covered concerts for a while and who was also assigned to act as a critic on radio and TV.

He was on the sports beat for a good 10 years, did the city beat and then they had him do a hockey blog.

I lost track of him over the years as there is just so much material out there and had not bothered to look up what he had been up to. But, he was one of the good ones, a unique talent for writing and staying relevant. A rigorous old school guy but who had a huge sense of humor and knew how to turn a phrase into a work of art.

Enjoy your retirement Mike. I wish you good health. And thanks for all you've done. You're truly one of the greats -- never once do I remember you saying anything disrespectful about anyone. A real pro. And listening to this interview, comes across as a heck of a nice guy.
You're great at summarizing what happened on tsn 690. It doesn't go unnoticed. I appreciate it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You're great at summarizing what happened on tsn 690. It doesn't go unnoticed. I appreciate it.

Thanks, I'm really humbled.

I've been passionate about sports media and radio in particular since my university years. Late nights spent studying were alleviated by the comfort of listening to some pretty savvy sportscasters over the years. I greatly enjoyed Ted Tevan, Mitch Garber and Mitch Melnick. And when they weren't on, I scoured CKAC and CJMS for whoever made the most sense.

I've listened to Claude Mailhot from his beginnings. He was the pioneer for open call sports shows. I just found out recently that he had been admitted to the bar when he was lucky enough to get a part time job at CKAC. He was doing his articiling with a big firm and then rushing to the station to host his show. He later found out that several of the lawyers he was working for, were also listening to his show but they had no idea it was him, lol. Mailhot is a seriously underrated raconteur and possesses encyclopedic knowledge of sports in this city. I remember how I had become so hooked to his show that I'd bring a pocket radio to my summer job at the time and listened to him via an earpiece. And the oddest thing -- even when his show took off on CKAC, he completed his articling and was litigating for that firm he was still with. He had never planned to be a broadcaster, it was just dumb luck that he fell right into it.

In what has always been a city dominated by one team and one sport, it hasn't always been easy finding sports voices and writers who are engrossing enough to have you stop what you're doing and pay attention. It's just tough to find great talent in Montreal cause of demographics but also because of this city's makeup in terms of the pro sports landscape. Imagine trying go stay entertaining and informative when all you have for the most part, is the Habs to twist, turn and churn. It's a monumental task but someone like Mike Boone found a way -- you could put a guy like him anywhere and he'd thrive just because he's so talented and witty. We're damn lucky to have had him all to ourselves.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Thanks, I'm really humbled.

I've been passionate about sports media and radio in particular since my university years. Late nights spent studying were alleviated by the comfort of listening to some pretty savvy sportscasters over the years. I greatly enjoyed Ted Tevan, Mitch Garber and Mitch Melnick. And when they weren't on, I scoured CKAC and CJMS for whoever made the most sense.

I've listened to Claude Mailhot from his beginnings. He was the pioneer for open call sports shows. I just found out recently that he had been admitted to the bar when he was lucky enough to get a part time job at CKAC. He was doing his articiling with a big firm and then rushing to the station to host his show. He later found out that several of the lawyers he was working for, were also listening to his show but they had no idea it was him, lol. Mailhot is a seriously underrated raconteur and possesses encyclopedic knowledge of sports in this city. I remember how I had become so hooked to his show that I'd bring a pocket radio to my summer job at the time and listened to him via an earpiece. And the oddest thing -- even when his show took off on CKAC, he completed his articling and was litigating for that firm he was still with. He had never planned to be a broadcaster, it was just dumb luck that he fell right into it.

In what has always been a city dominated by one team and one sport, it hasn't always been easy finding sports voices and writers who are engrossing enough to have you stop what you're doing and pay attention. It's just tough to find great talent in Montreal cause of demographics but also because of this city's makeup in terms of the pro sports landscape. Imagine trying go stay entertaining and informative when all you have for the most part, is the Habs to twist, turn and churn. It's a monumental task but someone like Mike Boone found a way -- you could put a guy like him anywhere and he'd thrive just because he's so talented and witty. We're damn lucky to have had him all to ourselves.
I've always loved sports talk radio too. Any talk radio really , but sports talk over anything else. I even finished third place in that contest where Simon Tsalikas won his job.

Reactions: Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I'm all for adding scouts in Quebec. I'm all for adding scouts everywhere else, too.

Also worth noting, when Serge Savard was a GM, the Europeans were not as developed as they were after his tenure, and more particularly, today. The ocean of prospects available at the draft is a lot more vast than it was when he was the GM. There are also the the American colleges who offer more prospects to select from.

If they're worried about the Habs and MB not looking to Quebec for talent, they need to look at what they're doing with the Rocket. Yea, that's not the NHL team, which is their wish, but Ouellet, Belzile, Alain, Culkin, Waked, Teasdale, Lamarche, Pelletier, Adams-Moisan are all local players.. Last year they signed Depres (AHL), Grenier, Martineau, Marcoux, Chaput, signed Philippe Hudon and Marco Roy to a PTO. The year before they had Gelinas, Gregoire, Veilleux, Simon Bourque, and Fucale.

Yes, they're not NHL caliber players. But it's not Montreal's fault these guys are all minor leaguers (with maybe an exception here and there with NHL depth potential). The Habs still make sure to bring in local players in the organization.
Stop looking at the francos. Look at the other products from the Q that have been snubbed.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Stop looking at the francos. Look at the other products from the Q that have been snubbed.
I think we can all agree that we've drafted the Q terribly for all of the products it produces. Seriously, after 20 years, we have what? Maxim lapierre as the only nhler. Let that sink in.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've always loved sports talk radio too. Any talk radio really , but sports talk over anything else. I even finished third place in that contest where Simon Tsalikas won his job.

You've got to be kidding me. Congrats, you've gotten pretty far. You must have real talent. I don't know about Simon, he and his free coffee are a true irritant but I have a feeling you would have done better. I hope you didn't give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad