TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tony the Soccer Guy continuing with what else, his delusional soccer tirades.

Yesterday, he claimed that the MLS will be a top 3 soccer league in the world, 10 years from now. Right, Tony. You'll be fired by then. And as your buddy Moe Khan argued, the MLS will continue to be a retirement league where players past their prime come to extend their careers. And while Marinaro was pumping the MLS's tires, he had to admit the MLS has plenty of issues to resolve, including teams flying commercial: Window or aisle, Zlatan? Why MLS teams still fly commercial

And of course, today on Habs lunch -- Marinaro did the same as yesterday. Opens with soccer again and went back to Rémi Garde and his $4Million staff. He's been on this since he's returned from vacation on Monday.

And if this wasn't enough, Marinaro can't help but pepper his sentences with plenty of loose ends, like "a coupla days ago", "I spoke to the guy a coupla times" and closes his articulate delivery with the always informative "and stuff like that." Thanks Tony, you're destroying brain cells faster than the Amazon has been losing trees.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Capture_d%C3%A9cran_le_2019-08-29_%C3%A0_09.07.57.png

He's an interesting listen. I'll probably try and catch a podcast of it.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Tony the Soccer Guy continuing with what else, his delusional soccer tirades.

Yesterday, he claimed that the MLS will be a top 3 soccer league in the world, 10 years from now. Right, Tony. You'll be fired by then. And as your buddy Moe Khan argued, the MLS will continue to be a retirement league where players past their prime come to extend their careers. And while Marinaro was pumping the MLS's tires, he had to admit the MLS has plenty of issues to resolve, including teams flying commercial: Window or aisle, Zlatan? Why MLS teams still fly commercial

And of course, today on Habs lunch -- Marinaro did the same as yesterday. Opens with soccer again and went back to Rémi Garde and his $4Million staff. He's been on this since he's returned from vacation on Monday.

And if this wasn't enough, Marinaro can't help but pepper his sentences with plenty of loose ends, like "a coupla days ago", "I spoke to the guy a coupla times" and closes his articulate delivery with the always informative "and stuff like that." Thanks Tony, you're destroying brain cells faster than the Amazon has been losing trees.

I can't listen during the summer lol Tony unchained is the worst because he can get away with his tirades about Soccer during HABS Lunch lol and goes all out with it . Of course the best is when he invites people to try to get his kids into things lol

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Gagnon is one of those guys who should have just stayed in the print media business.

His voice is like scratching a chalk board, it gets under your skin as it escalates in tone, raspiness and annoyance. He's an equal opportunity offender as he offers the same delivery on AC.

I wish him well but I for one, am happy they're going in a different direction.

Now, a if "another direction" means more Campbells or Gallows, it won't be any better. I wonder who they have in mind.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Another Sportsnet sportscaster leaving:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Never gonna happen. Europe has many leagues that pay ten times what the MSL will ever do. As it is now,MLS is vastly inferior in so many levels.

I'm not very soccer knowledgeable but even to me, that sounded preposterous.

Reactions: angusyoung

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Gagnon is one of those guys who should have just stayed in the print media business.

His voice is like scratching a chalk board, it gets under your skin as it escalates in tone, raspiness and annoyance. He's an equal opportunity offender as he offers the same delivery on AC.

I wish him well but I for one, am happy they're going in a different direction.

Now, a if "another direction" means more Campbells or Gallows, it won't be any better. I wonder who they have in mind.
can't stand him. useless and uninformative. blocked me on twitter years ago when i accused him of talking out of both sides of his mouth - as he stoked hatred between kvoalev and koivu fans / media by dissing 11 in french, but never gaslighting when he talked to anglo listeners

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Looks like Dany Dubé, who does color commentating on 98.5FM Habs radio broadcasts and had been a TVA Sports analyst for the last few years will join RDS (particularly their 5 à 7 program).

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I guess discussing hockey with Marc Denis will be more rewarding than listening to Renaud's nonsense.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Never gonna happen. Europe has many leagues that pay ten times what the MSL will ever do. As it is now,MLS is vastly inferior in so many levels.

You sound like an exec at Kodak, Barnes and Noble, blockbuster et...

MLS has already planted a firm foothold in North America. Soccer is, by far, the biggest team sport in the world.

Just a matter of time before it pushes its way to the top of the sport pantheon here...

Hockey will be the first casualty, helped along by Betmans shortsighted thinking.

Also, how many league's do you think pay "10x" what the MLS pays? After England, Italy & perhaps Spain & Russia, I'd be surprised if there were any league's in Europe that pay more in salaried than the MLS.
All the other leagues have 2-3 teams with major budgets, but the drop off after that is massive. Euro sport model is fundamentally different than North America.

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK

MLS has already planted a firm foothold in North America. Soccer is, by far, the biggest team sport in the world.

Just a matter of time before it pushes its way to the top of the sport pantheon here...

Hockey will be the first casualty, helped along by Betmans shortsighted thinking.

Also, how many league's do you think pay "10x" what the MLS pays? After England, Italy & perhaps Spain & Russia, I'd be surprised if there were any league's in Europe that pay more in salaried than the MLS.
All the other leagues have 2-3 teams with major budgets, but the drop off after that is massive. Euro sport model is fundamentally different than North America.

MLS with growth will never be more than a top 6 league in the world. Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, and the Championship (English 2nd tier) are massive.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

MLS is definitely trending in the right direction.

The best metric to use salary wise might be the average salary. I recall when bekham was on the galaxy, many of the galaxy players were making absolute peanuts.

These days, I suspect the average player is making more, but I highly doubt they are anywhere near as well off as the average premier player or the other top European leagues.

While I say there is room to grow, north America is also soccer's most competitive marketplace on a professional level. The market saturation is crazy, and the sports fan is becoming older in general (more entertainment options for younger consumers, and older existing fans are difficult to change).

If they ever do reach that major league status in North America, it's certainly going to take a much longer time than 3 years, but there are some serious counteracting forces working against them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad