TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Mcguire deserves all the hate he gets, he rarely has any good insight compared to pretty much any other guest on tsn690. I don't remember the last interesting thing he said. Moreover, he is strictly anti-analytics, never admits when he's wrong and has a huge ego.
Pierre doesn't like analytics but uses plus minus stats. His favorite team, the Pens, judged one of his friends, Mark Recchi on that number. They thought he was done, he went on to prove them wrong and play an important role winning the Cup with the Bruins. If there is a sillier way to judge a player, haven't seen it.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Melnick just had Joel Bouchard in studio on TSN690 for a little chat. This was the first time I've ever really listened to this guy speak and what a very well spoken guy he is. If someone doesn't poach him away from the Habs organization I think he'll be the Habs coach once Julien goes.

The audio should be up on the TSN690 website later I would think. Very good listen IMO.

Edit....
The audio of the Joel Bouchard interview with Melnick on TSN690 today is now up on the TSN690 website if anyone wants to have a listen.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-6...n-a-development-program-with-rocket-1.1364687

Last edited:

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
NHL Live finally released packages. Apparently the early bird is $179 + tax... which is an increase from last year if I recall it correctly. Oh perhaps I got some kind of a discount last year. Don't remember. Still ouch! Still hate the idea of paying Bettman $200 a year.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Melnick was talking that TSN 690 streams well across the country then said they don't want people talking about it but apparently the 690 #'s are good and are actually better than the Toronto #'s lololol

Toronto has so much promotion and exposure (Overdrive is promoted to the sky and beyond lol) and they cant beat 690 lolol

Reactions: sheed36

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In true Montreal media fashion, more particularly the francophone media is making such a big deal out of Richer's comment that Mete didn't know who he was.

I know the argument is the alumni would like to be allowed to have a closer relationship with the current roster. But the media is taking this to the highest level, particularly focused on Mete.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
In true Montreal media fashion, more particularly the francophone media is making such a big deal out of Richer's comment that Mete didn't know who he was.

I know the argument is the alumni would like to be allowed to have a closer relationship with the current roster. But the media is taking this to the highest level, particularly focused on Mete.

I might be the only one, but i don't want the Alumni close to the rosters.
Do you want your Dad telling how to play Fortnite cause in his time he was a god at Punch-out and Duck hunt?

But that's our medias trying to live in the past cause the present is so ordinary.
Kids below 25 years old don't know who these guys are and they don't care either and that's fine by me, it's their time, their generation and they want to put their stamps on the present and not reminded every day how they sucks compare to the good old days that many fans and medias can't seems to let go.

It's fine to have some alumni once in a while, in some special occasions…..but that should be it.

Reactions: lo striver

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I might be the only one, but i don't want the Alumni close to the rosters.
Do you want your Dad telling how to play Fortnite cause in his time he was a god at Punch-out and Duck hunt?

But that's our medias trying to live in the past cause the present is so ordinary.
Kids below 25 years old don't know who these guys are and they don't care either and that's fine by me, it's their time, their generation and they want to put their stamps on the present and not reminded every day how they sucks compare to the good old days that many fans and medias can't seems to let go.

It's fine to have some alumni once in a while, in some special occasions…..but that should be it.

I think these kids know who the legends are. They know Beliveau, Richard, Lafleur, Roy, Robinson, and players of that stature.

But even though Richer was the last 50-goal scorer, he wasn't exactly a legend. And it's not like he's been as present as others have been.

And as you say, I'm fine with them not recognizing who all of them are.

It wouldn't surprise me if Richer expressed this to Marc De Foy because his ego took a hit. I could be wrong with that assumption.

Reactions: Milhouse40

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013

Did you expect anything less repulsive from the media?try reading the gazette's hockey section,between stu cowen and Brendan Kelly you need a jar of rolaids.and these clowns at the gazette wants the tax payers to bail them out.if I owned the habs i wouldn't even let them near the team with their toxic garbage reporting.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Did you expect anything less repulsive from the media?try reading the gazette's hockey section,between stu cowen and Brendan Kelly you need a jar of rolaids.and these clowns at the gazette wants the tax payers to bail them out.if I owned the habs i wouldn't even let them near the team with their toxic garbage reporting.

Sorry but I recall Kelly writing some peices about how terrible Bergevin was like he was basically a member on this board.

Am I mistaken?

Jul 6, 2016
I think these kids know who the legends are. They know Beliveau, Richard, Lafleur, Roy, Robinson, and players of that stature.

But even though Richer was the last 50-goal scorer, he wasn't exactly a legend. And it's not like he's been as present as others have been.

And as you say, I'm fine with them not recognizing who all of them are.

It wouldn't surprise me if Richer expressed this to Marc De Foy because his ego took a hit. I could be wrong with that assumption.

Older players of the 70's and 80's should not expect kids to know them all, especially the ones born over seas.

Jul 6, 2016
It's a love-hate relationship between the Habs org and the medias since ages. Both need the other one though.

OB5

May 2, 2015

Richer should have been a better player if he wanted everyone in the world to know who he was.

Comes across as so desperate and bitter and lame.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
I think it’s a tough act to do 20-25 minutes of material as a guest 5 times a week on a sports show while trying to be topical, bring in new material and try to sound entertaining all at once. Whoever you put in there is bound to irritate you at some point.

The guys that remain entertaining and don’t get on your nerves as much tend to be those who chime in 2-3 times a week, so they’re never on air on consecutive days.

Very good point.

Of course he's going to be wrong often, they all are. It's their job to try to make educated assumptions based on their knowledge. Plus admitting you were wrong is bad for your brand. I'm not sure I've ever heard any of the big guys admit they were wrong.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Melnick was talking that TSN 690 streams well across the country then said they don't want people talking about it but apparently the 690 #'s are good and are actually better than the Toronto #'s lololol

Toronto has so much promotion and exposure (Overdrive is promoted to the sky and beyond lol) and they cant beat 690 lolol

So he made an unprovable statement on the part of his show which doesn't air across the country and you marks are just eating straight from the trough

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
I know Marner just signed but its like this a lot of days of the year anyway :) There is a lot more Video's up also

EEc4HDdXoAAzydX

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Just made the mistake and tried to listen to TSN 690 once again. Will spend another 5 years without doing so. Without the incredibly irritating ads, and the fact Marinaro can't help but speak about freaking DivingBall (soccer) the day after the first Habs preseason game, it's unbearable.

Reactions: Rapala

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just made the mistake and tried to listen to TSN 690 once again. Will spend another 5 years without doing so. Without the incredibly irritating ads, and the fact Marinaro can't help but speak about freaking DivingBall (soccer) the day after the first Habs preseason game, it's unbearable.

I like that Marinaro talks about soccer. I love the sport and I'm of the opinion that the Impact and the Alouettes need more attention. But I know how you feel because Melnick loves talking baseball and that bores the hell out of me.

But he was talking about an interview Impact's president just had so it's relevant. Not to mention they're playing in the Canadian Championship Final tomorrow. And although it is not that prestigious of a championship compared to others, it is still a final. And even with that, the organization has become a s#!t show.

What I do enjoy about Marinaro is when he has Brendan Kelly on and just challenges him on every negative comment Kelly has.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I like that Marinaro talks about soccer. I love the sport and I'm of the opinion that the Impact and the Alouettes need more attention. But I know how you feel because Melnick loves talking baseball and that bores the hell out of me.

But he was talking about an interview Impact's president just had so it's relevant. Not to mention they're playing in the Canadian Championship Final tomorrow. And although it is not that prestigious of a championship compared to others, it is still a final. And even with that, the organization has become a s#!t show.

What I do enjoy about Marinaro is when he has Brendan Kelly on and just challenges him on every negative comment Kelly has.

It wasn't all that long ago that Tony was just as negative towards the Habs has what Kelly is right now. Tony went from constantly ranting and crapping on anything Habs during his show to not doing so and it seemingly happened overnight.

I still believe he was told to tone down all his constant Habs negativity back then (though he denied he was told to tone it down when he briefly posted here and really got ripped) and has since become nothing more than another Habs shill.

Also his complete 180 seemed to have started once he started talking about the Habs trading Subban and that Hab fans should be prepared for it to happen during that off season.

Reactions: Censored Toad

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It wasn't all that long ago that Tony was just as negative towards the Habs has what Kelly is right now. Tony went from constantly ranting and crapping on anything Habs during his show to not doing so and it seemingly happened overnight.

I still believe he was told to tone down all his constant Habs negativity back then (though he denied he was told to tone it down when he briefly posted here and really got ripped) and has since become nothing more than another Habs shill.

Also his complete 180 seemed to have started once he started talking about the Habs trading Subban and that Hab fans should be prepared for it to happen during that off season.

I've noticed Marinaro's 180 right after this:

DnPvrb1U8AAzzbA.jpg

Reactions: Pickles and sheed36

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Unfortunately, you tuned in to a soccer guy's show.

690's best content is on Melnick's show. The contributors are witty and informative.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Marinaro on the air today, said he spoke with Cale Fleury and he was telling him how he lost 10 pounds and felt like he had finally found his "game weight". Nylan went on to tell Marinaro that he would also know, when he had found his "game weight", obviously referencing his huge gut.

I spit out my coffee :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: DXStriker

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Great news, if you're a fan of BobbyMac.

He had said last year that he was planning to retire soon.

And now this:

Doesn't mean he may not terminate his contract sooner but glad he's at least considering being around a while longer.

CapFriendly had a unique take:

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

In fairness, Sportsnet is a major player for sports news here in Toronto and probably has a lot to do with their 1050 streams than 690 having anything to do with it.

That said, I do stream 690 sometimes but that’s also because I am a Habs fan and I listen to 1050 live on the radio. I haven’t listened to 690 much lately but once the season goes into full swing, I’ll listen.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Mitch Gallo on twitter telling Serge Savard to "Shut up" and what he said is "Such nonsense" over his recent comments. :laugh: Serge stirring the pot with the topic that is strictly forbidden on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad