TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marinaro calling Stu Cowen's Gazette piece on Markov nothing but a sympathy PR stunt and he's been going on and on about it since having Cowen on to discuss the article this morning. Did Markov call Marinaro a few bad names or something in the past since he doesn't seem to have much good to say about Markov.

I'm surprised Marinaro was able to fit the Markov situation within his usual wall-to-wall soccer coverage.

I had the same reaction as you did -- why is Marinaro so adamant about Markov? It's as if he had a bone to pick with the guy. I don't know what his motivation is but his grandstanding rings hollow.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
McKenna is the worst one for me. He had some tweet about a month ago after Lernout wasnt signed saying something to the effect of “we could have had Brayden Point.....but we move on and learn from our mistakes”

I responded pointing out that it’s easy to draft in retrospect and 28 other GMs would take Point knowing what they know now.....

He takes any criticism very poorly

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'm surprised Marinaro was able to fit the Markov situation within his usual wall-to-wall soccer coverage.

I had the same reaction as you did -- why is Marinaro so adamant about Markov? It's as if he had a bone to pick with the guy. I don't know what his motivation is but his grandstanding rings hollow.

This morning was the first time I've tuned into Tony's show for quite some time since I figured with little to no Habs news it would be lots of soccer talk which I have zero interest in. I only tuned in this morning because I saw Cowan's tweet saying he was gonna be on with Tony this morning to discuss his Markov interview.

It was an interesting chat with Cowan pretty much siding with Markov and other players and Tony sticking up for his good buddy Marc. I found it a bit funny when Tony said that I don't always side with the Canadiens and after a bit of a pause repeated it again. Since about 3 or 4 months before Subban was traded Tony has pretty much sided with Habs management ever since and rarely rips the Habs like he did before he started the Subban will be traded campaign with Nilan. Tony Marinaro the person who isn't afraid to call anyone out according to his TSN690 promo but once he gets called out tucks his tail between his legs and leaves HF and blocks people on twitter.

The Marco guy who called in this morning though was probably the most entertaining thing I heard on the show this morning. :)

Reactions: DXStriker

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This morning was the first time I've tuned into Tony's show for quite some time since I figured with little to no Habs news it would be lots of soccer talk which I have zero interest in. I only tuned in this morning because I saw Cowan's tweet saying he was gonna be on with Tony this morning to discuss his Markov interview.

It was an interesting chat with Cowan pretty much siding with Markov and other players and Tony sticking up for his good buddy Marc. I found it a bit funny when Tony said that I don't always side with the Canadiens and after a bit of a pause repeated it again. Since about 3 or 4 months before Subban was traded Tony has pretty much sided with Habs management ever since and rarely rips the Habs like he did before he started the Subban will be traded campaign with Nilan. Tony Marinaro the person who isn't afraid to call anyone out according to his TSN690 promo but once he gets called out tucks his tail between his legs and leaves HF and blocks people on twitter.

The Marco guy who called in this morning though was probably the most entertaining thing I heard on the show this morning. :)

That Marco guy wasn’t talking, he was barking out words. :laugh:

He sounded like someone you don’t want to mess with so Tony retreated very carefully and thought better of it enough to qualify him as a “good caller” after Tony had hung up on him. :laugh:

I subscribe to the same argument you do — Tony has pretty much sided with the Habs since he got charmed by Marc’s biceps in-studio.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marinaro ... he just keeps getting more and more strange.

An oddity from this past week: Marinaro asking his co-hosts how he should handle his 16-year old son who wants to get pierced for earrings and who has pestered him about this over the last few years.

Marinaro explains that his son's motivation is to emulate a look like those soccer players he has exposed his son to.

This is what happens when you don't stick to hockey, Marinaro. :D

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Is there a reason Tony is still playing 'Gloria' to open his show? Did he lose a bet or something? It seems like ages ago that St. Louis won the Cup and, nothing wrong with the song, but it seems like the novelty is well past its best-before date.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is there a reason for Tony?

He’s a Umberto Tozzi fan, the original composer of Gloria. Might be a reason he likes the song.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh Jeez, Tony now singing with Louis from Ville Mercier. We have reached rock bottom.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
At times like these, in the dead of summer, I’d enjoy an experienced host like Randy Tieman who easily connected with his listeners and never sounded smug or pompous. Now, it’s just rank amateurs with a bad sense of humour or with poor communication skills that bore the f*** out of you with their irritating schtick.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
It’s been nice taking a break from 690 for the summer. Being a baseball fan makes it easy to forget about hockey for a few month.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
At times like these, in the dead of summer, I’d enjoy an experienced host like Randy Tieman who easily connected with his listeners and never sounded smug or pompous. Now, it’s just rank amateurs with a bad sense of humour or with poor communication skills that bore the **** out of you with their irritating schtick.

q4SMrmD.jpg

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

91.9 Sports FM is gearing up for their new season as their regulars will return and they announced some new collaborators. Lapierre, Theodore, and Talbot will join them this year

Also very interesting, they will now air 7 days of live radio. They were Monday to Friday before and the weekends was a compilation of the week's broadcasts. Only Laval Rocket games were live on the weekends.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

91.9 Sports FM is gearing up for their new season as their regulars will return and they announced some new collaborators. Lapierre, Theodore, and Talbot will join them this year

Also very interesting, they will now air 7 days of live radio. They were Monday to Friday before and the weekends was a compilation of the week's broadcasts. Only Laval Rocket games were live on the weekends.

I'm an occasional listener but like anything else, you gotta choose your spots.

It's time to tune off when the likes of Reggie Tremblay, Pierre Rinfret, Vince Cauchon make appearances.

Also, José Theodore wasn't all that impressive on TVA Spanre, he has trouble expressing his thoughts and halts mid-sentence to move on to something else. Benoît Brunet is a snooze fest of hockey clichés.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm an occasional listener but like anything else, you gotta choose your spots.

It's time to tune off when the likes of Reggie Tremblay, Pierre Rinfret, Vince Cauchon make appearances.

Also, José Theodore wasn't all that impressive on TVA Spanre, he has trouble expressing his thoughts and halts mid-sentence to move on to something else. Benoît Brunet is a snooze fest of hockey clichés.

Pretty much agree here. There are segments I ignore, as well.

One positive seems to be no more Yvon Pedneault.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pretty much agree here. There are segments I ignore, as well.

One positive seems to be no more Yvon Pedneault.

True enough, hadn't noticed Pedneault wasn't on the list. He's been long in the tooth for quite some time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd like to hear his comments on Bergeven's suits & granny's glasses.

Lol, if that’s all he’s good for, his career has definitely run out — as if any further confirmation were needed.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Simon taking Melnick’s place on the afternoon show doesn’t know the difference between “owed” and “owned”.

And he sells real estate for a living. :laugh:

He also keeps saying "Bohemoth". As for his real estate gig, I wouldnt sign on with a guy in his mid 40's who still tries to act gangsta. Mad this, mad that...talk a lil puck...we be out...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He also keeps saying "Bohemoth". As for his real estate gig, I wouldnt sign on s with a guy in his mid 40's who still tries to act gangsta. Mad this, mad that...talk a lil puck...we be out...

He’s trying too hard.

“What’s going on in the 450? We got a call from the MTL. Whazz going on, my man? Hey, free coffee!”

Reactions: JJ68

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Really saddened to learn the plight of Derek Aucoin, ex-Expo pitcher and a broadcaster at 98.5FM:

I wish him the best of luck. He's been on everyone's mind, on the French media side -- heard many good wishes for him throughout the day.

I've listened to his late night radio show many times and he always came across as a gentleman. Hang tough, Derek.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
91.9FM's programming set out:

I just can't listen to them. Some are okay but in the end i prefer TSN690 and NHL on Sirius.....they actually have great guests instead of Tremblay, Machabee and french only players. Normally i get mad after 10 minutes of listening to 91.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad