TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Does Marinaro have a payola side deal with the Limp Act?

Opens his show this morning with his favorite soccer team and almost immediately starts complaining about attendance. Not the first time he does this. Calls fans out for not showing up, starts projecting upcoming games -- not about what the Limp Act will do but how much attendance is to be expected.

Meantime, I check what was going on at 91.9FM and their hosts are also hot and heavy on the Limp Act, but unlike Marinaro, they never mention attendance. They're talking about Piatti leaving, the mercato, strengths and weaknesses of the team, what direction they should be going.

Jeez Marinaro, if Saputo wants to buy air time to attract more butts in his seats, he knows what to do. Why doesn't he buy ad slots during your show? Getting sick with your pitches about attendance, you sound like someone who has a financial stake in it.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016

Opens his show this morning with his favorite soccer team and almost immediately starts complaining about attendance. Not the first time he does this. Calls fans out for not showing up, starts projecting upcoming games -- not about what the Limp Act will do but how much attendance is to be expected.

Meantime, I check what was going on at 91.9FM and their hosts are also hot and heavy on the Limp Act, but unlike Marinaro, they never mention attendance. They're talking about Piatti leaving, the mercato, strengths and weaknesses of the team, what direction they should be going.

Jeez Marinaro, if Saputo wants to buy air time to attract more butts in his seats, he knows what to do. Why doesn't he buy ad slots during your show? Getting sick with your pitches about attendance, you sound like someone who has a financial stake in it.

Tony tries too hard and that 1 big example lol I am really intrigued when/if we get the Expos back how that will hurt the Impact interest

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

My issue with Marinaro complaining about attendance is in the same diatribe, he admits that he can't make the games because his kids have soccer. It doesn't occur to him that in the summertime, families have other things to do than go to Saputo Stadium? Not to mention they announced a thunder storm for last night since last weekend. It seems pretty normal to me that people didn't turn up.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I've gotten accustomed enough to Tsn690 to know which segments to tune into.
3 Starr Quiz, Marc Denis (when off vacation), Marc Dumont, Dregs/McKenzie and Habs lunch are mostly what I tune in for.
Then I sometimes listen to Ferraro, Ward, McGuire the next day.

I'll tune into Marinaro if the Canadiens make a move of some sort because he's enjoyable if he's talking positively

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Man, Joey Alfieri is a real simpleton. The questions he asks were stolen from a bar or one of his neighbors. All part of the decorative sorts Melnick has surrounded himself with for some reason.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Has Bill Lee weighed in on the recent local baseball news?

Interested to hear his take.

Edit: found this article on Radio Canada: Le retour du baseball à Montréal : un fait accompli, selon Bill Lee (en français)

Interesting Spaceman says he suggested the idea of sharing a team a couple of years ago to Stephen Bronfman.

As he suggests it in the article, he would be a natural as an analyst on tv or radio.

Last edited:

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
Has Bill Lee weighed in on the recent local baseball news?

Interested to hear his take.

Edit: found this article on Radio Canada: Le retour du baseball à Montréal : un fait accompli, selon Bill Lee (en français)

Interesting Spaceman says he suggested the idea of sharing a team a couple of years ago to Stephen Bronfman.

As he suggests it in the article, he would be a natural as an analyst on tv or radio.

Most people in Baseball say Yes! Share!! Like Frenchy-Claude Raymond said also. We all know half is better than none. And we all know that Tampa will never build a new Stadium and once their Lease expires. Then it's all Montreal's team. Look!Patience is and some baseball in MLB is better than never again. MLB is not like other Leagues, they also have a situation in Oakland which may end up being a move to Vegas. MLB is not like other leagues they won't expand for a very looong time. Were fast tracking it! Yes! This is how we have to do it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Most people in Baseball say Yes! Share!! Like Frenchy-Claude Raymond said also. We all know half is better than none. And we all know that Tampa will never build a new Stadium and once their Lease expires. Then it's all Montreal's team. Look!Patience is and some baseball in MLB is better than never again. MLB is not like other Leagues, they also have a situation in Oakland which may end up being a move to Vegas. MLB is not like other leagues they won't expand for a very looong time. Were fast tracking it! Yes! This is how we have to do it.

Fast tracking it to 2027, when Tampa’s ends. By then, it will have then been 23 years since the Expos were relocated.

Yes coming so soon. Yay.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
As I no longer reside in MTL, I don't really have a clue what the public thinks of Saputo stadium? Just reading the attendance issues in the comments just above only confirms my initial assessment when they built...

It should have been built closer to downtown, or west of St Laurent Blvd

Bluebonnets area would have also been great.

nobody in the Westside wants to go to the East end and nobody on the East end historically dont support sports franchises .

Sure soccer might be more popular than baseball in the East end but I don't think they are a demographic that goes to sporting events.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Haven't heard Claude Raymond but he didn't sound optimistic here:

Saison partagée : «À long terme, je ne vois pas comment ça pourrait marcher» - Alex Agostino

Reminds him of how Puerto Rico went. Alex Agostino also skeptical how it can last long term.

Off topic, but cool to see a real gentleman, Claude Raymond, get the order of Canada this week.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Always a good time to let PeeAir have it.

qAHhiUF.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Kind of old news. Saw it on July 1st but forgot to post it.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just walked into the room and heard JJD on TSN690 talking to Melnick and heard him say he doesn't want to talk about a certain player but I didn't catch who they were talking about but I think it was Alzner since they said Karl. Anyone else listening?

Edit: They just mentioned it after the interview ended and it was indeed Alzner they were talking about. Seems JJD and Alzner didn't like each other much.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why is Jack Todd such a MB homer? He blocked me on twitter when I disagreed with his horrendous take that somehow Habs fans would be mad if the Kawhi-Ujiri saga unfolded in Montreal.

Besides the two situations being vastly different. I don't think anyone would care if MB waived the entire team after winning a cup.

Reactions: DXStriker

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
lol Morning Show did not know that Armia signed a new deal this morning ....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

They talked about Lehkonen then said We are waiting on Armia :laugh:

HOW .... :help:

Reactions: KrejciMVP

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Why is Jack Todd such a MB homer? He blocked me on twitter when I disagreed with his horrendous take that somehow Habs fans would be mad if the Kawhi-Ujiri saga unfolded in Montreal.

Besides the two situations being vastly different. I don't think anyone would care if MB waived the entire team after winning a cup.
The whole premise was baffling since of course nobody would begrudge losing some UFAs in the aftermath of winning a Cup. But Jack Todd's entire shtick is sneering condescension for the fans who follow the teams he writes about. Check out the number of times he'll use a comment like 'the fans who would complain if Bergevin traded a 7th rounder for Crosby' or the number of times he'll say something like 'I have complained about management for years and I'm better at it than you'.

I laughed at the exchange he had with one commenter.
Todd: Bergevin would be crucified for winning a Cup and losing UFAs.
Commenter: WTF you are comparing the NBA champs to MB missing the playoffs every year.
Todd immediately goes to 'get a life'.
Commented: But you started this, carrying your tiny violin for MB
Todd: You'll never a be a GM.

Then after telling everybody they have no right to complain or comment because it's not in their lane, he'll tweet or re-tweet a bunch of anti-Trump stuff.

Todd wrote an article early into the 2017 season telling everybody that we were out of touch and we were unnecessarily freaked out by the teams slow start, we need to be patient and the team will get back to 100 points. Team of course didn't get any better and Todd's been doubling down on the 'everything is fine - you fans are the problem' bit ever since.

Reactions: DXStriker

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The whole premise was baffling since of course nobody would begrudge losing some UFAs in the aftermath of winning a Cup. But Jack Todd's entire shtick is sneering condescension for the fans who follow the teams he writes about. Check out the number of times he'll use a comment like 'the fans who would complain if Bergevin traded a 7th rounder for Crosby' or the number of times he'll say something like 'I have complained about management for years and I'm better at it than you'.

I laughed at the exchange he had with one commenter.
Todd: Bergevin would be crucified for winning a Cup and losing UFAs.
Commenter: WTF you are comparing the NBA champs to MB missing the playoffs every year.
Todd immediately goes to 'get a life'.
Commented: But you started this, carrying your tiny violin for MB
Todd: You'll never a be a GM.

Then after telling everybody they have no right to complain or comment because it's not in their lane, he'll tweet or re-tweet a bunch of anti-Trump stuff.

Todd wrote an article early into the 2017 season telling everybody that we were out of touch and we were unnecessarily freaked out by the teams slow start, we need to be patient and the team will get back to 100 points. Team of course didn't get any better and Todd's been doubling down on the 'everything is fine - you fans are the problem' bit ever since.

That exchange was me! LOL

Reactions: Le Tricolore

WG

Sep 9, 2008
That exchange was me! LOL
I salute you for jumping into the sandbox, especially knowing how far it would get you.

Todd's tweet in defense of Bergevin today was something about how 'one of the sticks used to beat MB was the fact that three players filed for arb'. And now we should apologize because Armia and Lehkonen signed.

Now I suppose because he's a writer at the local paper he gets the odd crazy email or whatever but I haven't seen one word here or in any Hab-related news sites that was the least bit concerned or negative about the arb filing. Standard business, we all knew the contracts would get done, and they did. But Jack is such a savvy journalist he can see stuff that isn't there and defend passionately against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad