TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I mean, it takes someone to roast on Price and I partly agree with him...

Dont like the way he does it but atleast he's not completely wrong this time, CP did crap the bed yesterday on the 3rd and 4th goal

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I find it odd that Tony Marinaro is so critical of Carey Price when he's one of the biggest "hype men" that lead to the team giving him that contract. He's one of the authors of the legend that is Carey Price.

This city (Montreal) loves to make goalies into God's...

You reap what you sow

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I find it odd that Tony Marinaro is so critical of Carey Price when he's one of the biggest "hype men" that lead to the team giving him that contract. He's one of the authors of the legend that is Carey Price.

You reap what you sow

The tale of two Tonys....

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I just heard a Tony soundbite. To paraphrase, “Carey, you are paid $10.5 million a year. You have to be a difference maker, like McDavid. Like Crosby. That is what they are paying you to do”

The contract doesn’t dictate performance. The contract means that’s what MB was willing to pay him. It can not compel performance, and its outdated hot-takery to bring it upon this fashion.

It’s a bad contract, but don’t blame Price. Calling out players for what they make is the low hanging fruit of bad takes.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I listen to them every day, sadly. However, I'm usually doing something else so I'm able to ignore them at will.

There is a lot more than 10 minutes of soccer on that station -- Marinaro in particular shoves it down people's throats and they let him know. He gets a lot of angry tweets and emails during the show, especially when he goes beyond an hour of Limpact talk.

While Marinaro is the biggest culprit and shorts sniffer, he's not alone. They also have the morning guys with updates and a soccer guy calling in. Soccer is also featured on Melnick's show. It's discussed during the Friday scrum. And Noel Butler has a soccer show on one of the evenings.

There are other instances but am too lazy to look them up. The hockey talk is present, as it should be -- this is a hockey market, goes without saying. And hockey is the only major sport of the top 4 North American sports that Montreal has a team in -- so I hope they talk about hockey.

The problem is that this market doesn't support any other major NA sport -- if it did, we might get a little further away from the current coverage cycle.

Yeah I'm glad for all the Hockey talk and the good guests that come on to discuss Hockey, no doubt...as it should be. I dont really mind the segment tony has allocated for soccer, but I dont really mind soccer. Noel you have to be a fan of the game to tune in to his show I think in the evening. Nilan only talks Hockey, an some Boston sports which is grating since I hate anything Boston being a Montrealer, and I couldn't care less about how well any of his teams are doing.

As for the guys in the morning they dont talk of it too much because I dont think they know much at all about anything except food talk, and what's your fave pizza topping, or what goes well in a taco? I miss Elliot Price.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
Regarding the Morning Show

I do not understand how they continue to let them play that stupid air horn and summer is magic song. Its November they have been doing it all summer. Find some new material. It is not funny at all.

Mckenna is the most smug person on the station I find. His CNN conor news network slogan is something like no matter what the news is you have never heard it or something along those lines. Meanwhile all of the news is stories that were plastered all over social media on sites like barstool a day or two before.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016

I do not understand how they continue to let them play that stupid air horn and summer is magic song. Its November they have been doing it all summer. Find some new material. It is not funny at all.

Mckenna is the most smug person on the station I find. His CNN conor news network slogan is something like no matter what the news is you have never heard it or something along those lines. Meanwhile all of the news is stories that were plastered all over social media on sites like barstool a day or two before.

My OPINION (cant be proven wrong :razz:) is that anything other then Melnick in the afternoon is just awful.
Like the morning stuff is so unprofessional. I understand its the morning and it can be light hearted but its just so bad.

Then you get Tony and knuckles... which is just a treat. Tony goes from 0-60 with his rants. The first time i heard them I thought it was good... but two years later its the same rant. Knuckles is well... Kunckles, not a fan of him as a radio host because he doesn't bring much to the table. Otherwise good person. I secretly do enjoy it when he rips on the players for being tired snowflakes compared to the hockey he played. Two different things, but I do get a small smirk out of that.

Melnick has good guests and is the only one worth a listen. He is the only broadcaster whom I feel would properly represent us fake fans (Haters) anti-fans sentiments towards the team and its management/direction.

I think my dislike for tony has just grown exponentially since I started to listen, and it finally broke when he went on his soccer tirade that was it.
I'm over his gimmicks and style of broadcasting. Some fans clearly love it and like him...:bow:

Not for me. :nono:

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The morning show is just a juvenile fest of special effects and off the cuff jokes. It's a formula that can get tiresome fast.

I'll beg to differ on the most smug person of the station -- it has to be Gallo. The guy lucked out on a radio gig and thinks he's above everyone else on account of it.

Reactions: JJ68

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Tony should just be a soccer guy , give him an hour in the middle of the night . He is clueless when it comes to any sport besides soccer.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
Tony should just be a soccer guy , give him an hour in the middle of the night . He is clueless when it comes to any sport besides soccer.
The funny thing is he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does about soccer. Any true soccer fan that listens to him knows this but to those who don't know much about the sport he seems like he does because he loves it and talks about it a lot.

He didn't know how the aggregate score was calculated just a few years back I remember.

Reactions: Rapala and Runner77

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I like the Morning Show. After Melnick, they have the best lineup of guests. They manage to do a reasonably good job of covering all the major sports and not just hockey, with guests for soccer, basketball and football. I don't mind McKenna, I appreciate his cynicism and sarcasm as well as his infatuation with food and travel. I could do without the 7:30 contest which I've kind of grown tired of, but usually enjoy their Ask Us Anything on Friday.

I don't usually listen between the Morning Show and Melnick anymore. I turned on Tony sometime in the last week and he was going on about Kotkaniemi's smile and how much he loved it; it was very weird and I noped right out. I try to catch the Friday scrum if I'm able to.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
The funny thing is he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does about soccer. Any true soccer fan that listens to him knows this but to those who don't know much about the sport he seems like he does because he loves it and talks about it a lot.

He didn't know how the aggregate score was calculated just a few years back I remember.
I'll second that. Outside of the Limpact/MLS bubble he is pretty much clueless.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Every time I listen to Norman Flynn on TSN690 this season he just sounds so very angry with the Habs or a Habs player for some reason.

Also with Marinaro not in today after last nights game from Price I expect on Monday to hear his stupid and way overplayed he couldn't come into work on Friday because Price's play gave him intestinal pains or some other crap bit from him.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
does pierre maguire EVER have anything good to say about habs? every time he's on, teeing about next game, he's always blathering on about how mtl needs to be careful, they're in trouble etc

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I just heard a Tony soundbite. To paraphrase, “Carey, you are paid $10.5 million a year. You have to be a difference maker, like McDavid. Like Crosby. That is what they are paying you to do”

The contract doesn’t dictate performance. The contract means that’s what MB was willing to pay him. It can not compel performance, and its outdated hot-takery to bring it upon this fashion.

It’s a bad contract, but don’t blame Price. Calling out players for what they make is the low hanging fruit of bad takes.
So we shoulda never blamed Gomez for being shit
Or don’t get on Drouins ass or Weber’s if he’s having a rough few games
f***ing rights I’ll call out a player who’s making 10.5 million and stinks.
Every fan base in every sports call out their players who are not producing and making huge money
Yankee fans did it to Jeter. Carey Price is no Derek Jeter

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
does pierre maguire EVER have anything good to say about habs? every time he's on, teeing about next game, he's always blathering on about how mtl needs to be careful, they're in trouble etc

He's the definition of salty. I used to like listening to him but it gets tiring to hear how bad the habs are versus other teams. Sportsnet and TSN already cover that ground pretty well.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
So we shoulda never blamed Gomez for being ****
Or don’t get on Drouins ass or Weber’s if he’s having a rough few games
****ing rights I’ll call out a player who’s making 10.5 million and stinks.
Every fan base in every sports call out their players who are not producing and making huge money
Yankee fans did it to Jeter. Carey Price is no Derek Jeter

That’s not the point.

The contract will not compel greatness.

That is the point.

Please quote specifically where I said Price is immune from criticism?

A manager doesn’t get to give out a bad xontract and then say they should be living up to it. It was a terrible contract, no reasonable hockey fan thought there was any value to the Habs in it. Expecting $10.5 million of value from Carey Price in 2018 is the very definition of pissing in the wind.

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016

You reap what you sow

Well when he hyped him, when he really hyped him (2014 - 2015), CP WAS good, in fact, he was fantastic. I was hyping him then too - that CP is worth 10.5M/year. CP of last and this year, not so much. Whatever isn't right "upstairs," he better get it looked after, otherwise, it's going to get a s*h_it-load worse for him, fanwise, over the next 8 years.

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
Yeah I'm glad for all the Hockey talk and the good guests that come on to discuss Hockey, no doubt...as it should be. I dont really mind the segment tony has allocated for soccer, but I dont really mind soccer. Noel you have to be a fan of the game to tune in to his show I think in the evening. Nilan only talks Hockey, an some Boston sports which is grating since I hate anything Boston being a Montrealer, and I couldn't care less about how well any of his teams are doing.

As for the guys in the morning they dont talk of it too much because I dont think they know much at all about anything except food talk, and what's your fave pizza topping, or what goes well in a taco? I miss Elliot Price.

I am thinking the same. If you sum the time they spend on culinary discussions, stories of the crap that goes on in Florida, and other miscellaneous bs for the occasion du jour (recent example, how to maximize your trick or treating potential), I bet it comes close to filling an hour block of the morning show. I miss Price too and would trade Moffat for Ted Bird in a heart beat. F TSN for giving me a radio lineup of clowns to listen to :(:help:

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Well when he hyped him, when he really hyped him (2014 - 2015), CP WAS good, in fact, he was fantastic. I was hyping him then too - that CP is worth 10.5M/year. CP of last and this year, not so much. Whatever isn't right "upstairs," he better get it looked after, otherwise, it's going to get a s*h_it-load worse for him, fanwise, over the next 8 years.
8 years??He will be lucky to make it to the trade deadline if there are any takers.This shit can't continue

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
This is a bit delayed, but I thought Sean Campbell and Chris Nilan did a great job calling Thursday's game. I was on the road during first and third period .

Campbell puts more aggressiveness into his voice; he should actually talk like that all the time. Still needs to work on saying Saturday instead of Sa-urday though .

Nilan had some good color commentary too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad