TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
There will be only one other alternative to 690 and it'll be 98.5FM, with their part-time sports format. I don't know why a franco 24-hour all sports format can't survive in a market that is what, 80% francophone.

I'll go all renegade here and suggest it might be the quality of the on-air "personalities"? :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For anyone who has lived in Montreal or followed sports for any length of time, this one hits hard: Montreal sportscaster Randy Tieman dead at 64

Randy Tieman passed away today at age 64. Truly one of the really charismatic guys of broadcasting, someone who was always positive and had a booming laugh. And was so nice for fans to interact with.

He was a staple at CTV news where I used to watch the sporstcast at a time when Bill Haugland was there. He just made everything sound important and worth listening to.

He battled several major health issues in the last few years but despite no longer working as a full-time sportscaster, he became a replacement host at TSN690 during a couple of summers and was truly refreshing to listen to. I was always hoping he'd come back but understood that it was a tall order for him.

RIP Randy. you were truly one of the good guys. Condolences to his family and friends.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
For anyone who has lived in Montreal or followed sports for any length of time, this one hits hard: Montreal sportscaster Randy Tieman dead at 64

Randy Tieman passed away today at age 64. Truly one of the really charismatic guys of broadcasting, someone who was always positive and had a booming laugh. And was so nice for fans to interact with.

He was a staple at CTV news where I used to watch the sporstcast at a time when Bill Haugland was there. He just made everything sound important and worth listening to.

He battled several major health issues in the last few years but despite no longer working as a full-time sportscaster, he became a replacement host at TSN690 during a couple of summers and was truly refreshing to listen to. I was always hoping he'd come back but understood that it was a tall order for him.

RIP Randy. you were truly one of the good guys. Condolences to his family and friends.
I had no idea as to the health issues he had been suffering for so long.

Meanwhile, TSN690 posted a video of Marinaro and company stuffing their faces full of free pizza.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ongoing tributes to Tieman on Melnick's show. Well-deserved, as many have come forward on twitter to confirm that the man you knew as a public figure was the same on a private level. He was always willing to help those starting in the business and they never forgot it. If you go through some of the several messages on twitter, that much will be obvious.

We need more Tiemans. The man was disarmingly friendly and put a smile on your face. And will always be remembered that way.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
TSN 690 just evacuated live on AIR...never seen that before. Hope all is good

Was just going to post that. They've rushed into a pre-taped segment that is ongoing, a bootlicking interview with Brett Hedican with a retired player and the business that his wife started. Good for him and his wife.

More importantly, I hope nothing serious is going on at 690. Melnick kept his composure but there was a sense of urgency to get out of the building.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Turns out it was a false alarm triggered by a construction worker.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bunch of amateurs on TVA Spanre. They were interviewing Isabelle Rancourt from the BC when the segment ended and they show her taking off the wire that is connected to her hearing apparatus, and then Renaud Lavoie appears on screen. He turns his back to Rancourt, who plugs the same wire to Lavoie's hearing tubes. And they're showing all of this going on with no sound on, it looked so unprofessional.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Does anyone catch the Moe Kahn NFL recaps on Mondays during Nilan's show. Khan is another mangler who can't enunciate a sentence. Every third word is mangled or incomplete -- he's frustrating to listen to. How do people who can't even talk, end up in the media? Whose idea was this?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
2n0sre.jpg

Classy move by the Habs to honor Randy Tieman during the first period of yesterday's game.

Reactions: Inkling

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Used to listen to Langevin when he was doing the morning show on 91.9 and before that when he was on TV for a while.

So there is going to be a segment within AC where Gagnon, Marinaro and Langevin are going to be featured. Not sure where it's headed but if they all start agreeing with each other, it won't be much different than the best buddies who fill the blue couches.

Reactions: groovejuice

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal

Used to listen to Langevin when he was doing the morning show on 91.9 and before that when he was on TV for a while.

So there is going to be a segment within AC where Gagnon, Marinaro and Langevin are going to be featured. Not sure where it's headed but if they all start agreeing with each other, it won't be much different than the best buddies who fill the blue couches.

You can count on Langevin to stir the pot, oftentimes dishonestly so. He can still be worth listening to at times.

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
I'll go all renegade here and suggest it might be the quality of the on-air "personalities"? :sarcasm:

Over the years, I found they’ve had a fair amount of good-enough (e.g., LP Guy, Matthias Brunet, Langevin) personalities on the air, and even some great (Meeker Guerrier, Olivier Brett). I consider Jean-Charles a character which, I must admit, I can enjoy in small doses.

Reactions: groovejuice

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
to join TVA sport.

I love JC Lajoie. but for the last few weeks/months. he began to irritate me.

He's irritated me for a long time. But I always found he was good with words and this is a change, for sure.

I believe his time slot will be given to Stephane Langdeau and Guillaume Latendresse.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's irritated me for a long time. But I always found he was good with words and this is a change, for sure.

I believe his time slot will be given to Stephane Langdeau and Guillaume Latendresse.

He just waxes poetic too much. Always sounding so ornery and arcane.

The worst part is when he gets into a long-winded sentence, interrupts it with "autrement dit", and then engages into an even worse, interminable spewage of words that have no business being spoken and that provide no added value or relevance to the points attempted to be made. Other than perhaps trying too hard to show off that he's well-versed in synonyms.

Stépane Langdeau -- talk about a guy who has fallen off a cliff. From the heights of a guaranteed, high visibility job on RDS to clutching at whatever unwanted time slot is vacated at 91.9FM -- which itself is falling off its own cliff. He could star in the next remake of Falling Down.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He just waxes poetic too much. Always sounding so ornery and arcane.

The worst part is when he gets into a long-winded sentence, interrupts it with "autrement dit", and then engages into an even worse, interminable spewage of words that have no business being spoken and that provide no added value or relevance to the points attempted to be made. Other than perhaps trying too hard to show off that he's well-versed in synonyms.

:laugh:

That is a great way to explain it.

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
For a guy that pissed on Dans les coulisses last week, he sure didn’t make promise on his words from last week

Dans les coulisses was right all along when they said he was leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->