TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I have a similar list; my favourites are Basu, Engels, Melnick, Marc Dumont, and I'd add Pat Hickey. On the up and comers, I'd add Joey Alfieri as he can do just about anything, soccer, football, hockey, and he has gigs with The Athletic and NBC Sports.

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
Plus the Athletic also has Mitch Melnick doing game breakdowns. I also enjoy Marc Dumont, I enjoy his terrible sense of humour and think he does a good job of both praising players and being critical.

I will never be a Marc Dumont fan. I absolutely hate Analytics personalities. Starting a hockey conversation with "from a statistic point of view" well I just laugh. "Primary Assist" never in my life have I used Primary Assist. Here is something I made after hearing "Primary Assist" way too much last week.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I will never be a Marc Dumont fan. I absolutely hate Analytics personalities. Starting a hockey conversation with "from a statistic point of view" well I just laugh. "Primary Assist" never in my life have I used Primary Assist. Here is something I made after hearing "Primary Assist" way too much last week.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but:

1) Marc Dumont isn't really an analytics personality.
2) Statistical point of view has always had a place in hockey (and sports) discourse and has real value (compared to the braying of people that speak exclusively in platitudes and incorrect comparisons).
3) Hockey is an outlier in that it actually counts secondary assists. Of all the ways to be critical of analytics, the idea that they shouldn't be counting less is weird. Soccer doesn't do it. Basketball doesn't do it. Lacrosse doesn't do it. And there isn't a real reason why a primary assist and a secondary assist are worth the same.

Stats should always be challenged and refined. Otherwise, what's the point of using them. Just stick to wins and losses.

Last edited:

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but:

1) Marc Dumont isn't really an analytics personality.

So all his comments are based on his years of playing and coaching experience? I did not know that. You never hear him talk like a player or coach. Interesting. I never saw him like that.

I don't listen to him, or read his work at the Athletic. Not my type of hockey guy. I am sure he has a huge following somewhere. Maybe we can get him out on the ice sometime. I've always wanted to bring my gear to Mtl to play some shinny. :laugh:

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
So all his comments are based on his years of playing and coaching experience? I did not know that. You never hear him talk like a player or coach. Interesting. I never saw him like that.

So? Mitch Melnick's and Arpon Basu's (who you seem to like) comments aren't based on years playing and coaching experience either.

I don't listen to him, or read his work at the Athletic. Not my type of hockey guy. I am sure he has a huge following somewhere. Maybe we can get him out on the ice sometime. I've always wanted to bring my

gear to Mtl to play some shinny. :laugh:

I don't like the guy I never listen to or read. Flawless logic.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

I don't listen to him, or read his work at the Athletic. Not my type of hockey guy. I am sure he has a huge following somewhere. Maybe we can get him out on the ice sometime. I've always wanted to bring my gear to Mtl to play some shinny. :laugh:

I imagine there's quite a few hockey personalities that don't have a serious history in the sport before becoming a pundit. Everyone slobbers all over mckenzie's dick when he's really just a glorified blackberry.

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
So? Mitch Melnick's and Arpon Basu's (who you seem to like) comments aren't based on years playing and coaching experience either.

I don't like the guy I never listen to or read. Flawless logic.

I'm guessing you are more into arguing than discussing but I'll see if I can clear up my point of view even though my entire comment is about Marc and not the people you mention.

Mitch is an on air sports/music personality, I enjoy listening to his show. It has nothing to do with hockey.

Arpon is a sports writer. He writes about information he receives directly from the source. I enjoy that.

I do not enjoy Marc Dumont. I quite clear as to why.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I'm guessing you are more into arguing than discussing but I'll see if I can clear up my point of view even though my entire comment is about Marc and not the people you mention.

Mitch is an on air sports/music personality, I enjoy listening to his show. It has nothing to do with hockey.

Arpon is a sports writer. He writes about information he receives directly from the source. I enjoy that.

Not really. Arpon has many articles with analysis that is far less in depth than Dumont's. Dumont writes about information he receives from the source too.

To add, invalidating someone's analysis because they never played professionally is strange. That invalidates a lot of good analysts and some of the greatest GMs of all time.

If you were talking about someone like Berkshire, I could understand (because he gets preachy and critical in his writing). But Dumont isn't that. And I really don't see how your criticsms of Dumont don't apply to Basu or Melnick, who both do analysis too. There simply aren't enough info dumps for them to only to stories from Sources.

Just follow someone like John Lu if you want plain info from a reporter.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017

Melnick should stick to trying to be a music man. Maybe go to chom.

And yeah Dumont talks analytics(not my thing) because Mckenna is a big analytics dweeb.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Melnick. Best sportscaster in the city and he could easily transition to the national stage and not skip a beat. Melnick learned from the best and is reminiscent of how sports radio used to be done by his predecessors. We're lucky to have him. Unfortunately, he has the judgment of a fish when it comes to surrounding himself with talent. He's been grooming blathering idiots to be his sidekicks and they'll probably still be around when he's gone. And that doesn't bode well.

Noel Butler (what language are you speaking), Simon Motormouth Tsalikis, Pillow-Shill Gallo and Habs-Shill Campbell -- GTFO.
Maybe he doesn't like surrounding himself with competition.

Reactions: Runner77

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
So I listened to the morning show for about 30 mins on my drive in this morning. Thanks to the genius host I now know that

1) the Habs beat Pens and caps in the playoffs in 2012 (pretty impressive since we finished dead last in the conference in 2012) and

2) their contest was members of the 92-93 Habs and no one bothered to have a list in front of them. Didn't know if the answers callers were giving were right or wrong.

3) On the bright side I know all about the guy who got arrested in Florida for setting a fire in a Mcdonalds bathroom with $0.69 of gasoline. Then again with Mckenna's level of accuracy it was probably $0.79

Now I remember why I don't listen anymore in the morning.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
And yeah Dumont talks analytics(not my thing) because Mckenna is a big analytics dweeb.

Check out Dumont's piece in the Athletic this morning; like most of his articles, no analytics. He does mention how many games a couple of players have played in their careers, though.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
So I listened to the morning show for about 30 mins on my drive in this morning. Thanks to the genius host I now know that

1) the Habs beat Pens and caps in the playoffs in 2012 (pretty impressive since we finished dead last in the conference in 2012) and

2) their contest was members of the 92-93 Habs and no one bothered to have a list in front of them. Didn't know if the answers callers were giving were right or wrong.

3) On the bright side I know all about the guy who got arrested in Florida for setting a fire in a Mcdonalds bathroom with $0.69 of gasoline. Then again with Mckenna's level of accuracy it was probably $0.79

Now I remember why I don't listen anymore in the morning.
Don`t get the Florida stuff.

Plenty of other sports to discuss including amateur (ie. CHL)

Reactions: CDN24

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hearing Dennis Bernstein on 690 today as a co-host, reminds me of how refreshing it is to have a different perspective. Simon is a doofus who mangles the same points over and over, so anyone new sounds palatable.

Best cure for radio doldrums -- have broadcasters from other cities join the station for a month and then continue with a new guy every month, while 690 ships out one of their amateurs to do the same elsewhere.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's because there's consistently a ridiculous story about Florida. It's their go-to comedy bit.

It's actually entertaining and it only takes a few minutes. I like how they use that Will Smith song to open the bit, and I can't stand Will Smith, lol:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I don't listen to Marinaro's show nearly as much as I did at one time but I did turn it on this morning while he was talking to Stephan Lebeau. I didn't get the start of the interview but what I did catch was a very good listen.

Lebeau said that Gretzky was his idol and he had 2 cats at that time and he had them named Wayne and Janet. :) He said he changed his cats names though before playing the Kings and after winning the cup he said they partied for a week and then they had a party at Roy's house. It was good listen and brought back memories from that last Habs cup victory.

Here's the audio:
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/lebeau-nothing-is-going-to-stop-us-now-1.1189793

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lebeau said that Gretzky was his idol and he had 2 cats at that time and he had them named Wayne and Janet. :) He said he changed his cats names though before playing the Kings ...

Animal abuse! :sarcasm:

Not unlike what happens on this forum, but with a human being:

"I said Coconuts."
"No, it's KK."
"But, they call him Yeppu in Finland!"

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Of course, with Lyle Odelein getting interviewed on 690, they bring out the song they used to play at the Forum for him -- Hold the line.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Listening to Odelein, I hadn't realized his brother Selmar was a first round pick of the Oilers in 1984.

Joey Elias recounting an anecdote about Odelein, about how the latter once told him what it means to him when a young fan wanted a photo taken with him: "never forget you were once that young fan." How easily so many pro players forget.

Reactions: Laurentide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad