TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It's because there's consistently a ridiculous story about Florida. It's their go-to comedy bit.
Try to picture an all sports radio station in Florida with a segment every day on stuff going on in Québec that has nothing to do with sports.

Last edited:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Hearing Dennis Bernstein on 690 today as a co-host, reminds me of how refreshing it is to have a different perspective. Simon is a doofus who mangles the same points over and over, so anyone new sounds palatable.

Best cure for radio doldrums -- have broadcasters from other cities join the station for a month and then continue with a new guy every month, while 690 ships out one of their amateurs to do the same elsewhere.
That's a great idea, actually. Since moving to Edmonton I've been listening to the local TSN1260 and there's a guy on in the 10am to noon slot named Allan Mitchell who's really good (and he's an Expos fan, to boot) He's older, which means he is able to provide the kind of context that his millennial co-hosts just don't have.

Of course, he also does the "My Pillow" spots but he's probably contractually obligated.

Reactions: Runner77

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
This wasn't common knowledge?
For people of a certain age, yes, but for most of Smith's younger fans probably not. He also ripped off Patrice Rushen's "Forget Me Nots" for his "Men in Black" song.

I once met a millennial chick who thought that "It's My Life" was actually an original song by No Doubt. They'd never heard the original version by Talk Talk.

Kids today.

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Are the calls between Tony and Peter from Cote St Luc a total schtick or is Peter not quite mentally all there and Tony takes advantage of that? Or is Peter just craving that attention so plays along...?

Tony got a call from him and wouldnt allow Peter to talk about whatever it was he was attempting to, instead it devolved into Tony trying to get Peter to sing felicita again and wondering if Peter had the lyrics available to him etc etc etc.....Peter kept making excuses, next thing you know it gets to the point where it looks like Tony gets a promise he'll sing it the next time and just as he's about to finally talk about whatever it was he was meaning to Tony just cuts him off and ends the call.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Are the calls between Tony and Peter from Cote St Luc a total schtick or is Peter not quite mentally all there and Tony takes advantage of that? Or is Peter just craving that attention so plays along...?

Tony got a call from him and wouldnt allow Peter to talk about whatever it was he was attempting to, instead it devolved into Tony trying to get Peter to sing felicita again and wondering if Peter had the lyrics available to him etc etc etc.....Peter kept making excuses, next thing you know it gets to the point where it looks like Tony gets a promise he'll sing it the next time and just as he's about to finally talk about whatever it was he was meaning to Tony just cuts him off and ends the call.

Peter played the part of Stevie in Eastbound and Down. You remember him? It was but a lateral move to assume the same role with Tony. The man has an uncanny ability to sustain repeated assaults to his ego and self-esteem. Mind you, he may not know what those are.

stevie-and-kenny.jpg

This probably summarizes how far Peter is willing to go for Tony: Ranking Stevie’s 9 Most Tragic Moments On ’Eastbound & Down’

Reactions: Tighthead

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
For people of a certain age, yes, but for most of Smith's younger fans probably not. He also ripped off Patrice Rushen's "Forget Me Nots" for his "Men in Black" song.

I once met a millennial chick who thought that "It's My Life" was actually an original song by No Doubt. They'd never heard the original version by Talk Talk.

Kids today.

while I'm not part of the group you're obsessed with, pretty sure you can cut don't on "shots" at younger people, have yet to see them try to insult century olds like you.

Besides, for a very old man who wants to show he knows better, how old do you think Smith fans are ?

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

Kids today.

That’s not an age thing that’s an ignorance thing, I remember playing the NaS Illmatic album for my mother and aunt and we all connected over “It ain’t hard to tell” having a jazzy sped up version of Michael Jackson’s Human Nature.

My advice Play as much of your favourite music for your kids as you can so the understand the link between the past and today’s stuff.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thank you Gents... I did not see that at all. I appreciate you guys correcting me. :)

I too saw Drouin getting admonished on AC -- and it came from Gaston Therrien of all people. Who knew.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
elevator and groceries music, Funk is nice when you're a bassist though.

And drums. I've played some funk and the best part was interacting with the bass player -- there's so much room there for creativity. I loved every second of it.

Reactions: 417

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
And drums. I've played some funk and the best part was interacting with the bass player -- there's so much room there for creativity. I loved every second of it.
there's stuff like that, loads of fun to do, not so much watching/listening, funk music is in that category IMO.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->