TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
That’s the way the ads are purchased across the country.
When you're just breaking in, you must be pretty desperate, you take whatever ad sales you can get. I assume it supplements their income...they get a portion , and the station gets a portion. Tony probably did pretty well financially early on cause he was constantly bringing up non-sequitor promotion and product placement every five minutes. He was making money and the station was pretty happy too. Guy is a hustler.

I can't see Campbell attracting that kind of ad revenue .

Melnick is pretty smooth. Other than aventure electronic or whatever that audiovisual place in Westmount is (guess the advertising didn't work), I can't think of too many. Maybe he's just good at being subtle.

Speaking of the roast, it actually seems like a cool thing to see. Too bad they won't release some of the roasts. And it seems for a good causerie teared up a bit at the Melnick segment where Tony was talking about Sammy his friend's kid, who the benefit is for.

I was thinking what I'd say to Tony....

I'd read the yellow pages for 15 minutes, and tell him that's what his audience had to put up with for his first 4 years in radio.....and tell him he never returned the team990 Buick rendezvous ....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd read the yellow pages for 15 minutes, and tell him that's what his audience had to put up with for his first 4 years in radio.....and tell him he never returned the team990 Buick rendezvous ....

Could you please expand on the story behind the Buick Rendez-Vous? Are you saying he appropriated himself of something that wasn't intended for him?

Reactions: groovejuice

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Could you please expand on the story behind the Buick Rendez-Vous? Are you saying he appropriated himself of something that wasn't intended for him?
He was always talking about driving it back in the day. I picture him still never having returned it, and it still being in his driveway in lasalle .

I have no proof of this of course. But roasts are meant for such circumstantial accusations !

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He was always talking about driving it back in the day. I picture him still never having returned it, and it still being in his driveway in lasalle .

I have no proof of this of course. But roasts are meant for such circumstantial accusations !

Good one. You should have been one of the roasters.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I go to Ikea every few years and buy some big, heavy feather pillow for not much money. I’m not sure why I’d be compelled to buy pillows off a radio ad, but obviously people are.

It's a scam. This is how bad that station has gotten, promoting bullshit like that. I cant take listening to that station now because of the over promotion of that shit plus Gallo.

Reactions: Runner77

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Why do we assign some sort of mythical greatness to Mitch Melnick's radio chops?
He's been around a long time. But when was the last time he had a real exchange with a guest where people would say "wow, only Mitch could have said that?" The answer is never.

When we complain about Maguire, we need to complain about Mitch. Mitch could hold Pierre's feet to the fire over his double speak, inconsistencies but instead, he doesn't want to rock the boat because Pierre's segment attracts good ad revenue. He also LOOOVEs Campbell, Galo, McKenna. So when you hear something cringy on the radio, chances are Mitch is patting himself on the back at how awesome it is. I also don't think he has a lot to work with when you consider what they are probably being paid to be on a small am radio station.

If you aren't enjoying the content, I would look at Mitch being a big part of the problem.

Mitch can also be a bit of a creepy old perv whenever a woman is sharing a segment with him. He always made subtle double entendres or sexual innuendos when Andie Bennett was around etc. I miss her btw....much better than Gallo.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mitch can also be a bit of a creepy old perv whenever a woman is sharing a segment with him. He always made subtle double entendres or sexual innuendos when Andie Bennett was around etc. I miss her btw....much better than Gallo.

I just hate it when Melnick becomes a creeper. He's done it so many times and it's just cringeworthy. I don't know why he feels compelled to do that, he doesn't need to. Leave that kind of schtick for Howard Stern.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's a scam. This is how bad that station has gotten, promoting bull**** like that. I cant take listening to that station now because of the over promotion of that **** plus Gallo.

Everything outside of Melnick's show is a quagmire of amateurism.

The morning show lacks substance.

Marinaro is mostly a soccer guy and shoves it down your throat with impunity.

Nilan was loved as a Hab, but sadly, as a broadcaster, he's been terrible. And his show has only made it worse by having him paired up with the boring shill that is Campbell. Go on, Campbell, those Hab, Als and Limpact boots won't lick themselves.

And let's not even get into the week-end shows headlined by Gallo and Campbell -- they are annoying as f***.

English sports radio in Montreal needs a long overdue overhaul.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Everything outside of Melnick's show is a quagmire of amateurism.

The morning show lacks substance.

Marinaro is mostly a soccer guy and shoves it down your throat with impunity.

Nilan was loved as a Hab, but sadly, as a broadcaster, he's been terrible. And his show has only made it worse by having him paired up with the boring shill that is Campbell. Go on, Campbell, those Hab, Als and Limpact boots won't lick themselves.

And let's not even get into the week-end shows headlined by Gallo and Campbell -- they are annoying as ****.

English sports radio in Montreal needs a long overdue overhaul.

All of MTL English radio money is being used on the TOR radio media . Not cheap putting them on tv and all the better things they have :)

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Not only is the ad rife with awful stereotypes, they couldn't find a person capable of pronouncing 'taqueria' properly. Oh, and just to add: Carlos and Pepe's is NOT Mexican food.
Ever since I stopped using satellite radio I've been listening to 690 on the way to work and this commercial is absolutely terrible. Going to complain to Bell Media/690 about it because it's racist as hell.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Eeeyyy wassa matter amigos? You got a problem with super racist ads?

Not exactly new in Quebec. You ever seen those St-Hubert ads? Jesus christ.

Hell, Quebec Solidare has these ridiculously racist posters up in Ville-St-Laurent to pitch their dental plan thing they want to fund by repatriating your savings.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Eeeyyy wassa matter amigos? You got a problem with super racist ads?

Not exactly new in Quebec. You ever seen those St-Hubert ads? Jesus christ.

Hell, Quebec Solidare has these ridiculously racist posters up in Ville-St-Laurent to pitch their dental plan thing they want to fund by repatriating your savings.
That QS poster was painted by a female black artist and was a 'self-portrait.' I'll give QS and the artist the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I haven't listened to 690 since over a year, I hate every one of the hosts, but especially Nilan, Gallo and Tony. Total amateur hour, and its hard to imagine how Nilan ever played the game with his assessment of players and management. Too many punches to the head I guess.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I haven't listened to 690 since over a year, I hate every one of the hosts, but especially Nilan, Gallo and Tony. Total amateur hour, and its hard to imagine how Nilan ever played the game with his assessment of players and management. Too many punches to the head I guess.

Well Marc played and he's the GM...... but that ain't saying much :laugh:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
That QS poster was painted by a female black artist and was a 'self-portrait.' I'll give QS and the artist the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I have only ever seen it in neighborhoods where the demographics are mostly black. It's really weird to me, especially with the large gap in the teeth talking about a dental plan.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ever since I stopped using satellite radio I've been listening to 690 on the way to work and this commercial is absolutely terrible. Going to complain to Bell Media/690 about it because it's racist as hell.

What prompted you to leave the satellite radio bandwagon? I've heard a lot of listeners who claim they wouldn't go back to regular radio once they've experienced XM.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nilan is senile. Just listening to him distorting Kotkaniemi's name while trying to be funny, is brutal. And idiotic beyond belief.

Nilan, please head to the box. For the rest of your radio career.

Reactions: lo striver

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Rod is jumping to CJAD, which makes sense because he is as much of a political and news guy as a sports guy.

He’s been the glue of the show on my opinion, but a new challenge makes sense.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Rod Francis finally on air at 690 and announcing that he's leaving the show. He's taking on a gig that is politics-related. He's moving to CJAD, working alongside Aaron Rand, probably co-hosting or hosting his own show.

He had been on Melnick's show for 15 years.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Don't understand why it took a whole month to announce it, particularly since it's just another Bell Media radio station, but glad it's been put to rest. Enjoyed him announcing that he was going to Bernier's People's Party at first.

I like the morning show.

Me too. McKenna just needs to keep tweeting pictures of his dog and we're good. Morning and Drive shows are the best. Nilan can be rough, but I will say this for him, he can get some good guests that seem to be unavailable to the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad