TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I'm not in tune with Montreal media so I don't know how much this applies to French media, though based on some comments here, looks like French media isn't too much better than English in their on-air talent.

We got idiots in Toronto media, but for the most part, most of them actually have a background in sports or sports journalism. So, when I hear McLennan and O'Neil discuss sports, even if it is basketball and not hockey, they are more credible to me than when I hear Marinaro talk whatever. I've already expressed my feelings about others like Campbell and Gallo...

I don't recall the exact instance, but I listened to all morning shows on 690 since I'm just crunching data at my desk and need background noise. While I can't be sure exactly what it was, though I think it was around the time Pacioretty was subject of trade rumours, Tony's antics were the last straw. I stopped listening to 690 since, at least between 10a to 12p.

I know they have detractors, but I enjoy listening to Dumont, Denis and Basu when they join the shows. Heck, even McGuire is ok now and then. Melnick doesn't always talk sports, and depending on his content, I may or may not have interest, but he has a level of maturity and insight that I appreciate.

End of the day, I like sports people talking sports. I also like it when they refrain from stupid shock radio and "talk show antics". I don't WANT to listen to Sportsnet (or TSN... not sure who will air a post game) tomorrow night when the Habs/Leafs game is over, but I sure as heck don't want to listen to the Delmar PG show. In fact, since it's an all Canadian division this season, I'm going to check out the TSN stations when the Habs play other teams to see how their post game shows are.

On that note, so there is no confusion, I hate/despise/call people idiots regarding their on-air personnas. I don't know anyone personally and to be honest, I probably could care less (assuming they aren't particularly vile, abusive or toxic in real life). Just saying this so that I don't get cancel culture police banging on my door.

Really Noodles? I live in Toronto (born and raised) so I'm as informed about about them and their media as I am about habs content. Toronto fans dislike noodles as he has no idea what he's talking about outside of hockey. The O Dog is overly emotional and isn't informed outside of hockey. They have crappy personalities like Craig Button fill in now and then. I haven't watched any tsn 1050 stuff in a long time but they're brutal. Mike Johnson is the saving grace

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Really Noodles? I live in Toronto (born and raised) so I'm as informed about about them and their media as I am about habs content. Toronto fans dislike noodles as he has no idea what he's talking about outside of hockey. The O Dog is overly emotional and isn't informed outside of hockey. They have crappy personalities like Craig Button fill in now and then. I haven't watched any tsn 1050 stuff in a long time but they're brutal. Mike Johnson is the saving grace

My point was more just comparing say Noodles and O’Dog to Campbell and Gallo.

Button is a freaking Pulitzer Prize winner compared to Marinaro.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
My point was more just comparing say Noodles and O’Dog to Campbell and Gallo.

Button is a freaking Pulitzer Prize winner compared to Marinaro.

It wasn't a relative comparison. It was an absolute evaluation. Both casts suck large ones. If you want to say that one sucks less than the other than that's fine but the point is they both suck. Just one piece of crap isn't as stinky

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It wasn't a relative comparison. It was an absolute evaluation. Both casts suck large ones

I reread what I wrote and I was pretty sure I was comparing Noodles and O’Dog to Marinaro (though I probably should had said Campbell and Gallo to keep it 2 for 2). I wasn’t evaluating, but just saying compared to Marinaro, they hold more credibility, regardless how little or how much, that him.

I didn’t mean to evaluate so if that was how you read my post, I didn’t intend that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One doesn't take too much place, they share 50-50 of the show, they respond to each other quite fluid, a good complicity.
I remember a late morning around 11 am they were 5 guys or so talking and were having fun about that batman movie in '66, when Adam West had this fake rubber shark hooked to his leg in a latter pulled by his helicopter. Batman use a shark repellant bat spray with the help of Robin. How hilarious it can be !
He said he had to watch these batman movies with his 3 yrs old kid because all the recent batmans movies are too dark for a young kid. They made me laught.

Man, Robin sure took his sweet time to get that shark repellent to Batman. Plus, no shark wounds to Batman’s leg. :laugh:

ArsHabs

Nov 4, 2017
It wasn't a relative comparison. It was an absolute evaluation. Both casts suck large ones. If you want to say that one sucks less than the other than that's fine but the point is they both suck. Just one piece of crap isn't as stinky

While I agree with what you said about the Overdrive crew, you missed his point. He was saying how sports people are basically more credible than guys who don’t have that background but framed around Marinaro specifically. He also mentioned how there are idiots in Toronto media. In fact, he said that before he went further.

Not sure why you are looking to pick a fight with probably one of the most level headed posters here who to me anyhow was pretty careful with his points.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
While I agree with what you said about the Overdrive crew, you missed his point. He was saying how sports people are basically more credible than guys who don’t have that background but framed around Marinaro specifically. He also mentioned how there are idiots in Toronto media. In fact, he said that before he went further.

Not sure why you are looking to pick a fight with probably one of the most level headed posters here who to me anyhow was pretty careful with his points.

That’s one of the most apt and accurate descriptions of @sandviper I’ve ever seen. He’s not only a class act but also provides intelligent, considered opinions.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

Did you not read my post. I specifically said "outside/besides hockey". McLennan and O Dog don't know a thing about any other sports. Leafs fans bring it up all the time

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

That was exactly what I was trying to convey. It's also just my (me, moi, sandviper's) opinion. I know people do not like Conner McKenna, and I intentionally didn't mention him because... I do! There, I said it. Why? He has no sports background AFAIK, but maybe because sometimes he expresses ideas that I share. I don't know. Some people like Marinaro, and cool, all the power to you. I don't.

I get what Persuade was trying to say and he's entitled to his opinion (or if he wants to speak on behalf of Toronto, that's cool also). Truth is, there's not so great analysts everywhere, including, I dunno, probably in Vancouver. Just be aware, not all of us Torontonians will proclaim absolutes and it is ok if you want to draw comparisons between cities for whatever reasons, including their sports celebrities.

By the way, I am serious, I don't mind McKenna, so nobody flame me for that. Please no Montrealer, born and raised, give me grief that he knows nothing outside of knowing how to breathe...

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
Ottawa has former players and admin/ scouts on radio

Toronto has a ton of professionals and former players

Montreal literally mostly has fat guys who drink more than they watch (used to serve these narcissistic jerks) and who take walking orders from Molson (their "proud" partner)

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
That was exactly what I was trying to convey. It's also just my (me, moi, sandviper's) opinion. I know people do not like Conner McKenna, and I intentionally didn't mention him because... I do! There, I said it. Why? He has no sports background AFAIK, but maybe because sometimes he expresses ideas that I share. I don't know. Some people like Marinaro, and cool, all the power to you. I don't.

I get what Persuade was trying to say and he's entitled to his opinion (or if he wants to speak on behalf of Toronto, that's cool also). Truth is, there's not so great analysts everywhere, including, I dunno, probably in Vancouver. Just be aware, not all of us Torontonians will proclaim absolutes and it is ok if you want to draw comparisons between cities for whatever reasons, including their sports celebrities.

By the way, I am serious, I don't mind McKenna, so nobody flame me for that. Please no Montrealer, born and raised, give me grief that he knows nothing outside of knowing how to breathe...

I loathe McKenna for the same reasons I loathe Petrillo, they're politically radical

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

I like Conor and and even shaun too. They have good guests also. A better comparison for tony would be Andi petrilo. I'll compare the overdrive crew to the Melnyk crew. It's hard to get good sports people on tsn 690 because most of them go to the French side. So for example, a good comparable to someone like Mike Johnson, or o dog, or McLennan would be Marc Denis, etc.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Shaun Starr after one Jake Allen start:

'Jake Allen is the best backup Carey Price has ever had'.

Is 2010 already forgotten?

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How does Norman Flynn still have a job?

He not only suggested that Caufield ought to be traded for Palmieri, but at the 2019 TDL, he came up with this gem:

For those who don't understand French, he said at the time that he would trade a young player like Suzuki for Simmonds. Justified it by saying that you're going to find players like Suzuki in the Habs' lineup, he is a small forward like Byron, he's a good at making passes.

:m-shocked::m-shocked::m-shocked:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

He not only suggested that Caufield ought to be traded for Palmieri, but at the 2019 TDL, he came up with this gem:

For those who don't understand French, he said at the time that he would trade a young player like Suzuki for Simmonds. Justified it by saying that you're going to find players like Suzuki in the Habs' lineup, he is a small forward like Byron, he's a good at making passes.

I have yet to hear one of his colleagues call him out for his stupid takes. I don't mean they need to embarrass him. But to at least point out how ludicrous his takes are. Every time I hear him utter one of those trade scenarios, whether on RDS or on TSN690 with Marinaro, they just let him say it and no one has countered him.

And he is such a Sens fanboy. He covers the Sens games for RDS. And I remember before last season, he was on Antichambre on a pre-season segment. He was talking about how shit the Habs are and how they have a bunch of players and prospects that aren't anything interesting. And then he starts rubbing his hands acting all excited about following the Sens and their prospects.

I agree that the Sens have an exciting crop of prospects and have a lot of talent on their way. But the fact he took the time to say how bad of a situation the Habs were in while glowing at the thought of the Sens enforced my low opinion of him.

Also the fact he sits there and compares Suzuki to someone like Byron tells you all you need to know about how much he knows about these players.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have yet to hear one of his colleagues call him out for his stupid takes. I don't mean they need to embarrass him. But to at least point out how ludicrous his takes are. Every time I hear him utter one of those trade scenarios, whether on RDS or on TSN690 with Marinaro, they just let him say it and no one has countered him.

And he is such a Sens fanboy. He covers the Sens games for RDS. And I remember before last season, he was on Antichambre on a pre-season segment. He was talking about how shit the Habs are and how they have a bunch of players and prospects that aren't anything interesting. And then he starts rubbing his hands acting all excited about following the Sens and their prospects.

I agree that the Sens have an exciting crop of prospects and have a lot of talent on their way. But the fact he took the time to say how bad of a situation the Habs were in while glowing at the thought of the Sens enforced my low opinion of him.

Also the fact he sits there and compares Suzuki to someone like Byron tells you all you need to know about how much he knows about these players.

As more and more of his dumb takes are outed, his employer might eventually have to step in. This is nothing that can be fixed by a sabbatical. Those TV jobs on mainstream networks ought to be taken more seriously. Sure, they ought to strive for entertainment too but not at the expense of bogus hockey analysis.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As more and more of his dumb takes are outed, his employer might eventually have to step in. This is nothing that can be fixed by a sabbatical. Those TV jobs on mainstream networks ought to be taken more seriously. Sure, they ought to strive for entertainment too but not at the expense of bogus hockey analysis.

Flynn gets a reaction. So I guess in terms of TV/radio, he's good to go. The main issue I have is that no one at least disagrees with him and points it out. I would think THAT would be more entertaining for the viewer/listener.

Reactions: angusyoung

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I can't stand Flynn

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3

Normand Flynn is just sad.

He talks like a farmer from the 17th century and his takes are just terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad