Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lollll He has decent straight line speed, but his agility, pivoting, lateral movement, turning radius, edge work, braking and accelerating and general overall quickness is very weak.
I'm sure Zdeno Chara has his issues with 'turning radius, edge-work, braking, quickness and acceleration'. But amazingly he's able to win a Norris Trophy without all that. Of course when you're 6'8" with the wingspan of a condor, that helps a bit. And Tryamkin skates a lot better than Chara.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I'm sure Zdeno Chara has his issues with 'turning radius, edge-work, braking, quickness and acceleration'. But amazingly he's able to win a Norris Trophy without all that. Of course when you're 6'8" with the wingspan of a condor, that helps a bit. And Tryamkin skates a lot better than Chara.

Like your optimism and for the Canucks sake I hope he pans out but personally I don’t see it happening.

Reactions: MikeK

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Last I checked, Tryamkin would be ranked behind Edler, Tanev, Hughes, and probably even Myers in skating.

What are you basing this on?

I think he'd be a great addition for depth, but more likely he's traded to Detroit for a 3rd or something.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
How much potential do you think he has? He's going to be 26 next summer. He is in what is supposed to be his prime years right now. The NHL is the best league in the world and if he was this top 4 monster that some people keep saying than he'd be here.

I've already said this, but it's not like he's hiding somewhere. Scouts have been watching him for years now and nothing has come of it. His size is the only thing separating him from any other journeyman Dman. If he were 5'11 we wouldn't even be talking about him.

I think you sign him to be your #5-6. If he exceeds expectations, great. Too tough to project him from KHL games, and what he did 3 years ago.

He signed a 3 year KHL contract. He's in Russia because of that, not because teams don't view him as an NHL player.

Would love to add that 265lb frame to the blueline. The team's size is starting to give teams a lot of problems, and bringing in a hulking behemoth like Tryamkin would further build towards being a difficult club to match up against.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A steady diet of watching Tanev, Stecher and even Hughes absolutely pancaked along the wall, makes you pine for Tryamkin, no matter what posters say about his skating.

Still remember that collision with Jamie Benn, which almost propelled him into the cheap seats.....and the time he had the entire Sharks team after him in the wake of a couple of mammoth hits along the wall.

Bring it on.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'd be curious to see what people think the odds are between:

-Tryamkin suits up for the Canucks in 2020;
-Tryamkin stays in Russia for the foreseeable future; and
-Tryamkin's rights are traded to another NHL team.

Are we looking at a 33% split between each one at this point? Any news to suggest one might be more likely than the others?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Ultimately it comes down to how much he's going to make. At this stage of his career he isn't going to take less just to come over here and play in a 5th/6th/ role. If he's able to make more while playing at home I highly dowbt we ever see him back here again. Each year that passes it becomes less and less likely he ever plays in the NHL again.

Reactions: wetcoast

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Are we looking at a 33% split between each one at this point? Any news to suggest one might be more likely than the others?

I think I'll go with Tryamkin suiting up for the Canucks in 2020 at 50% and Tryamin staying in Russia for 2020 at 40%. Tryamkin's team isn't doing too well this season.

I think Benning really wants Tryamkin back and see what he can do. But I also think that if the Canucks have a good year health wise on the back end, the Canucks make the playoffs, and say advances past Round 1, there's a higher chance that Benning would want the defensive group back.

I don't think Tryamkin's rights will be traded to another NHL team next year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Ultimately it comes down to how much he's going to make. At this stage of his career he isn't going to take less just to come over here and play in a 5th/6th/ role. If he's able to make more while playing at home I highly dowbt we ever see him back here again. Each year that passes it becomes less and less likely he ever plays in the NHL again.
It was made clear that Tryamkin would play out his 3 year contract in the KHL. (it wasn't an easy contract to get out of..according to his agent).....so really..nothings changed..

What is bizarre is that he has not re-upped his contract with Automobilist..that,coupled with Benning being in constant contact with his agent leads one to speculate that 'somethings up'.

The D has improved since he was here last, and I'm not convinced he is a top 4 d-man either.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this is a guy who chose to go home and turn down big money and a lucrative career. because he did that he is a big signing gamble. he's also been playing less games in a softer league for three years now.

if he is coming, they need to get him over here before the end of the season to evaluate him while he is in game shape and convince him to hang around and train here for the summer. that is a gamble worth taking.

if he will be showing up to training camp direct from russia, i'd be willing to pay a lot less to sign him. i can foresee that ending in tears and blown cap space.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's 'fish or cut bait' time for Tryamkin and his agent....his three-year contract in the KHL is finished in March....if he re-ups again in the KHL then the Canucks can just as well forget about him.

He'd be leaving a lot of money on the table, but if playing in his homeland is all he really wants to do, then it is what it is.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It's 'fish or cut bait' time for Tryamkin and his agent....his three-year contract in the KHL is finished in March....if he re-ups again in the KHL then the Canucks can just as well forget about him.

He'd be leaving a lot of money on the table, but if playing in his homeland is all he really wants to do, then it is what it is.

I'm hoping that he'd consider coming back now that the coach is no longer the mustachio moron who thinks being nice is an acceptable replacement for being competent.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Last I checked, Tryamkin would be ranked behind Edler, Tanev, Hughes, and probably even Myers in skating.

What are you basing this on?

I think he'd be a great addition for depth, but more likely he's traded to Detroit for a 3rd or something.

Myers is a very good skater for his size. It's basically as good as we've seen in the NHL from a Dman 6'6"+. As a skater, Chara is not in the same class as Myers but he grew up in a different era and never used his skating the way Myers does. Chara also happened to pretty athletic and of course big and strong with a long reach. I see Tryamkin's skating as similar to that of Chara in his prime. Skating is not an issue because they know how to move and defend using their size and reach. They don't chase guys around or carry the puck the way Myers does.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
The big question is how we would pay for him? I think the Canucks should offer their first round draft pick next year for someone to take Louis off their hands. There are teams with cap space and we now have so much young talent and no cap space. Thoughts? By the way, I might add that many people have been blasting Jim. I think we are in a brilliant position other than that one colossal f*** up. Further, I am a businessman and took a lot of chances. I made some Louis level uckfups, but I won overall by taking chances. I think Benning has done similarly well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The big question is how we would pay for him? I think the Canucks should offer their first round draft pick next year for someone to take Louis off their hands. There are teams with cap space and we now have so much young talent and no cap space. Thoughts? By the way, I might add that many people have been blasting Jim. I think we are in a brilliant position other than that one colossal **** up. Further, I am a businessman and took a lot of chances. I made some Louis level uckfups, but I won overall by taking chances. I think Benning has done similarly well.
You might be on to something here....if the Canucks record this year puts them into the 5-8 range of top NHL teams, then giving up a first rounder to escape Eriksson's awful contract might be the bullet you have to bite. Canucks have already surrendered their first rounder in either 2020 or '21 to the Lightning. Another pick in the 23-30 range isn't going to break them.

And with Luongo's recapture penalty coming to and end, plus Eriksson's cap hit, the Canucks could either meet the contract demands of their young stars like Pettersson and Hughes, or alternatively go out into the UFA with some serious change in their jeans.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
A lot will also depend on what they do with Tanev next year. If Tanev is gone we will need another RD

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
The Canucks should seriously consider moving Stecher + forward for an upgrade at forward and bring in Tryamkin as the number six guy to play with Benn. Based on his experience, time in the NHL / KHL, age, etc, he should be able to handle 16 - 18 mins a night on a bottom pairing in the NHL. Especially with a safe stay at home guy like Benn next to him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The Canucks should seriously consider moving Stecher + forward for an upgrade at forward and bring in Tryamkin as the number six guy to play with Benn. Based on his experience, time in the NHL / KHL, age, etc, he should be able to handle 16 - 18 mins a night on a bottom pairing in the NHL. Especially with a safe stay at home guy like Benn next to him.
Stecher and Motte for Kapanen and a 2nd rounder

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

"bring him in as a #6" as if thats an option.

1) they cannot force him to come here, he doesn't want to leave Russia.
2) Look what happened last time he didnt get the ice time he wanted. He cried and bolted. So this whole third pairing thing wont fly. Guys a tool, let him stay in the K.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The big question is how we would pay for him? I think the Canucks should offer their first round draft pick next year for someone to take Louis off their hands. There are teams with cap space and we now have so much young talent and no cap space. Thoughts? By the way, I might add that many people have been blasting Jim. I think we are in a brilliant position other than that one colossal **** up. Further, I am a businessman and took a lot of chances. I made some Louis level uckfups, but I won overall by taking chances. I think Benning has done similarly well.

Trading a 1st round pick? Is that a valid question? Are you goading people?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Stecher and Motte for Kapanen and a 2nd rounder
No way we'd get them to cough up a 2nd rnd pick. Motte has limited value and Kapanen has more value than Stecher.
Also, that doesn't work for us as we'd be taking on more salary than our cap space allows for when Roussel comes back next month.

If Kapanen is your target, I'd rather push for :
Schaller + Stecher for Kapanen + Holl
Diff in salary is like 400k in favor of us.

Holl is a very "meh" number six guy but you do this deal if you think you have a chance bringing over Tryamkin. His last game is Feb 27th, so if he game over a week or two after he'd have about 15 games of regular season action before the playoffs. Then you run Benn / Tryamkin bottom pairing and if Tryamkin is a fail then at least you have Holl would is at least NHL calibre and a natural right side dman.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
"bring him in as a #6" as if thats an option.

1) they cannot force him to come here, he doesn't want to leave Russia.
2) Look what happened last time he didnt get the ice time he wanted. He cried and bolted. So this whole third pairing thing wont fly. Guys a tool, let him stay in the K.
Agents and GM's talk all the time. I would not be surprised at all if our GM was on the phone with Tryamkin's agent talking about the possibility to bring him over as soon as their season ends.
Any trades or roster decisions made would be done so having had such conversations. If they're fairly certain that he'd come over then they'd move forward knowing that and act accordingly.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I'm hoping that he'd consider coming back now that the coach is no longer the mustachio moron who thinks being nice is an acceptable replacement for being competent.

Remember that moron was fired BEFORE Tryamkin decided to take his ball and go home...

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Nikolai Goldobin has said on the record that Tryamkin told him coming back when his contract is done, so I assume he'll probably be here in 2020.

Reactions: ChilliBilly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad