Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Just to correct the record here, Juolevi’s struggles predate his injures, so let’s not pretend this pick looked good before Juolevi had his first significant injury.

To add, even if OJ was tracking perfectly fine before, a couple of injury filled seasons in key development years kills most prospects. The op saying that he is “2 years behind” implies that he will catch up and still holds that potential which isn’t really the case most of the time. Acting like the 2 years should be disregarded is foolish imo. This prospect is toast in my eyes unless he proves otherwise.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
To add, even if OJ was tracking perfectly fine before, a couple of injury filled seasons in key development years kills most prospects. The op saying that he is “2 years behind” implies that he will catch up and still holds that potential which isn’t really the case most of the time. Acting like the 2 years should be disregarded is foolish imo. This prospect is toast in my eyes unless he proves otherwise.
To sum up your post, he is a bust unless he isn't? Sigh.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose what posters are really saying about Juolevi is that the goal-posts have been moved. The best that can probably be hoped for now, is that he catches on eventually as a 'depth defender'. And if he had been drafted in rounds 3-5, you could live with that.

But for a fifth overall draft pick, it's depressing. One of the few fringe benefits of being one of the worst teams in the NHL (which the Canucks were for the previous four seasons) is that you get a high first rounder to speed up the rebuild. When you 'whiff', it really sets you back.

But since this thread is about Tryamkin, and returning to the original topic, the fact that the Canucks have got little in their blueline pipeline other than Rathbone and possibly Woo, makes it all the more imperative they sign the big Russian.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I will say again, Rathbone, Rafferty, Tryamkin, Woo, Juolevi is a decent D-prospect pool. Tryamkin is an NHLer now. Where he fits in the top 7 is still up for debate. Rathbone has all the makings of an exciting D-man at the NHL level but probably needs a little more time to develop. Rafferty is a little older and time will tell if his AHL success translates into NHL success. Woo is a wildcard. After a down year, his stock has fallen. But he still has upside as a middle pairing shutdown D-man. Juolevi is fighting the expectations battle. He will never live up to his draft position. That said, if he was drafted in the 3rd round, he would be considered a decent prospect expected to make the jump to the NHL sooner rather than later.

I don't see any of these guys eating up minutes on a top pairing. But with Hughes destined to be a a 25 minute guy on the top pairing for years to come, I would be thrilled if two or three of these guys can show they can solidly fill a 4 through 6 role. It would be a huge win and I think it's realistic. There would still be a hole or two to fill once Edler and Tanev go. But, if any one of them can show they can play well on a second pairing, the team is in reasonable shape.

What I don't want to see is the team trying for 3 years to plug any of these guys into the lineup if they don't fit (see Pouliot et al.) They need to evaluate the 5 at the NHL level and move on quickly if it's clear they aren't good enough to be regulars. As I say, if 2 or 3 are good enough and they move on from 2 or 3 within the next 6 to 18 months, I'm happy with that.

And because this is the Tryamkin thread, I will say that he is probably the lowest risk to make it but with not as much upside as Rathbone and Rafferty.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I've said it before, but if Tryamkin can become a reliable defender AND we fill Tanev's (if he leaves) spot with another player who can actually defend...out d corp doesn't look too bad.

Hughes DeMelo
Edler Myers
Tryamkin Stecher/Benn/Fantenberg/Rafferty/Juolevi

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The first reasonable chance that Juolevi had to make the Canucks was out of 2018 training camp. He looked very out of place there, you could tell he needed some time in the AHL. He was sent down and managed to put up an impressive 13 points in 18 games before coming down with a season ending injury. He was still recovering from that injury last training camp and was sent down in the early part of Canucks camp as the full expectation was for him to play the majority of the season in the AHL. He may have earned a call up, but shockingly, we didn't have that many injuries on our blue line this year.

Just because he hasn't played a game doesn't mean he couldn't play a game, Juolevi had some interesting situational circumstances. It's very possible that he could be a stand out in next training camp, make the team, and all this bust talk is history.

I'd rather deal in what is probable than what is possible. What are the odds you give Juolevi becoming a top4 NHL Dman?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I've said it before, but if Tryamkin can become a reliable defender AND we fill Tanev's (if he leaves) spot with another player who can actually defend...out d corp doesn't look too bad.

Hughes DeMelo
Edler Myers
Tryamkin Stecher/Benn/Fantenberg/Rafferty/Juolevi
2nd pairing D don't fall out trees. You have to really overpay for them via free agency or really overpay for them in a trade.

I'd rather deal in what is probable than what is possible. What are the odds you give Juolevi becoming a top4 NHL Dman?
I have a better chance at "getting some" this weekend & I'm a 50+ year old virgin.;)

Reactions: vanuck

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Tough call. I’d say about the same as when we drafted him though.

The guy has proven he can play pro hockey, he contributed there right away. That’s usually a positive indicator, many players fizzle out beyond junior hockey.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Honestly can’t remember much about tryamkin except those thunderous hits he laid upon a couple of ducks and his fight against Jamie benn.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

The guy has proven he can play pro hockey, he contributed there right away. That’s usually a positive indicator, many players fizzle out beyond junior hockey.

I just want to clarify: Your projection of Juolevi becoming a top4 Dman is the same now as when he was drafted?

He carried over some of his offense to pro. Defensively, he's always been suspect. That really hasn't changed throughout.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

:whaaa?:

Tell me how many draft picks don't play an NHL game through their D+4 year and become NHL players. That's a very short list. You've probably got better odds to win the 6/49 and get hit by lightning on your way to cash the ticket in than Juolevi seeing any kind of regular NHL ice. Not gonna happen.

And also still totally not about Tryamkin.

Last edited:
Reactions: vanuck

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
:whaaa?:

Tell me how many draft picks don't play an NHL game through their D+4 year and become NHL players. That's a very short list. You've probably got better odds to win the 6/49 and get hit by lightning on your way to cash the ticket in than Juolevi seeing any kind of regular NHL ice. Not gonna happen.

And also still totally not about Tryamkin.

Its not just draft picks, its top 10. Hell I would even say first round picks.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tryamkin had an exciting rookie season with us. Considering he’s such a massive guy and still very young, he did quite well. He’s a man now, and certainly has grown fully into that massive frame. We could use him for sure.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know I'll get flamed for suggesting it, but if comes down to a choice of signing Tryamkin at somewhere around $2.5m a season versus Tanev at anywhere from $5.5m to $6.5m, I'd go for the big Russian.

He doesn't bring much offense to the table, but then neither does Tanev. But Tryamkin is five years younger, and I doubt that he'll ever be as injury-prone.

Tryamkin can play either side and in terms of puck battles in his zone, it sometimes looks like opposing forwards are hitting a cement truck.

So in terms of performance, are they worse off with Tryamkin instead of Tanev going forward? Possibly. But not enough to justify a $3m-$4m difference in cap space.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I know I'll get flamed for suggesting it, but if comes down to a choice of signing Tryamkin at somewhere around $2.5m a season versus Tanev at anywhere from $5.5m to $6.5m, I'd go for the big Russian.

He doesn't bring much offense to the table, but then neither does Tanev. But Tryamkin is five years younger, and I doubt that he'll ever be as injury-prone.

Tryamkin can play either side and in terms of puck battles in his zone, it sometimes looks like opposing forwards are hitting a cement truck.

So in terms of performance, are they worse off with Tryamkin instead of Tanev going forward? Possibly. But not enough to justify a $3m-$4m difference in cap space.
Agreed. I’d much rather have Tree and Tofu, than spend extra on Tanev, so there’s not enough to sign Tofu. Plus, we need Tree's physical presence.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Tryamkin had an exciting rookie season with us. Considering he’s such a massive guy and still very young, he did quite well. He’s a man now, and certainly has grown fully into that massive frame. We could use him for sure.
I keep telling myself size doesn't matter.

(*****looks in the mirror and cries*****)

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
This Covid issue really screws up things......or at least confuses them a tad

Here we are hoping to get a playoff in this year, when in reality, there may not be a next season.........

So when all is said and done and you have to weigh that against signing Tanev over Tryamkin

I just think the risk is too big to pass on Tryamkins 5+ years over Tanevs larger new contract

Is there risk? Yes. But how long does Tanevs body hold up past 30? Even with no possible season, he is a year older

and the kids coming into the league are a year younger.......to me, it is a matter of time.....and I take Tryamkin

Especially when it opens up the additional possibility of resigning Toffoli, and especially when you probably get Toffoli

and Tryamkin for deals because of Covid....Teams will be watching their money more......I think it all plays in one

another? Somehow??????

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The bubble teams with owners who don't want to lose money are going to be screwed by whats going on. The only revenues are going to be from tv. Then again, the big teams have been pulling in massive dollars from their home games. I hope the Canucks (and Aquilini) are able to soldier through this. that said, we have no idea what is happening with the cap, and what is being discussed between the player's and the owners on how to get through this.

Simply put, the wealthier teams can weather this storm, ... a few others are going choke. I hope like hell they can find both the cap space and the money to sign Tryamkin. I think he is going to be the perfect 3 - 4 Dman for years.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Tryamkin is about to sign with the Canuck soon according to his agent

I expect Canucks to let go of Stecher, Benn, and Fantenberg iin the off-season and re-sign Tanev. Tanev is just far too valuable in the Canucks defence core for at least 3 more years until we are free of Eriksson/Sutter/Beagle/Roussel/Beartschi/Luongo/Spooner cap hits. Once those contracts are up, Canucks can start investing into a top 4 RH defenceman with offensive ability.

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Tryamkin-Rafferty

Reactions: barriers

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tryamkin is about to sign with the Canuck soon according to his agent.
I guess that happens once the new CBA is ratified. Tryamkin at 2.5 million for a two year term? Too bad Benning signed Benn to two years. That cap dollar could go directly to Tryamkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad