Player Discussion Troy Terry

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
What I've heard (or read)-Terry is skilled, smart, coachable, and has good possession stats. He needs to play with better centers or on a scoring line. He is our best prospect outside of Zegras. He is good with his stick to deflect pucks in the neutral zone.

What I've observed-Terry is good in space with the puck on his stick, able to create chances for others. He is soft, not good at winning puck battles, and loses possession easily when challenged. He isn't a goal scorer (6 in 51 NHL games). He is often reluctant to shoot, usually looking to pass first.

I have hope that Terry will become what others say that he is. But I just haven't seen it yet.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
My issue is he always seems like he is trying to "Shake and Bake" only to have every pass he makes be tipped. It seems like he can't carry the puck or pass it without the opposition touching it.
And if he can't do that, then he just dumps it in. There was a sequence, about halfway through the 3rd, after they won the faceoff and had broken out of the zone, he got the lead pass in the NZ and then just flipped it into the O zone because he couldn't beat the defenders. He definitely has no confidence right now.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
My issue with Terry is that he seems to be trying to do it all himself; he’s not using his line mates even though he gets to play with some good players. He’s big on flashy, “show-off” moves that don’t pay off at this level. I’d like to see him try to simplify his game. My concern in sending him down to SD is that the “flash” can often pay off in the AHL, and I don’t want to reinforce that style. I think he should stay here to learn patience and better situational awareness at the level he needs.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Terry tries to be a play driver and while he can at times, he fails to seek chemistry with any of his linemates which is part of the reason why he's been on a constant rotation in the lineup.

Another problem I've noticed is when he tries to make plays or challenge a defender, he's almost always at a near standstill. He would be a lot more effective if he would not only move his feet more, but also be a shooting threat.

The question is do you let him figure it out or do you call up Sherwood? He would provide more competitiveness and at least be a threat to shoot.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wish he would be sent to the AHL he isn't doing well enough to have played all 19 of our games to date.
Yep, he needs to go and help the Gulls out.
I am confident in him reaching top 6 player status one day, but he needs more seasoning and bulking up. Currently in the NHL he`s just a warm body who makes some nifty plays here and there but that`s clearly not enough.

Reactions: Boo Boo

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
I'd just like to see him win a puck battle.
Whoa whoa, slow down. At least wait until he's comfortable taking contact first!

If all he is going to do is dump in, avoid contact and fall down doing so, then he has no place in the NHL right now. He isn't good enough, and there isn't enough talent on the roster for his finesse game. The only thing he's been good at this year is holding onto the puck while circling around the perimeter.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Troy is going to be a great NHL player, no doubt in my mind. He is a wizard with the puck and has a feel for finding open space where it doesnt seem possible. Problem is he's not a speed demon that's going to outpace a defender and gets caught trying to use his hands too much. Once he's able to use his body to create a tad more space he will be an all star level talent.

Reactions: bsu and Boo Boo
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Never understood the hype back then, still don’t get it now. He still looks very fragile out there. Even when he was with the USNDT he seems scrawny. He could use more time in the A.

He has very good puck handling ability, but outside of that, nothing really spectacular.

Reactions: Deuce22

thirdJR

Apr 15, 2015
Oregon
There are very few players in the league that can create plays out of thin air. Terry was doing that at the beginning of the year, it seems he lost confidence as the points didn't come. But I wouldn't jump off the bandwagon just yet.

Steel was also doing some impressive things early on. I would say he is the better leader right now. I think he's also playing through an injury.

Reactions: Kalv

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
There are very few players in the league that can create plays out of thin air. Terry was doing that at the beginning of the year, it seems he lost confidence as the points didn't come. But I wouldn't jump off the bandwagon just yet.

Steel was also doing some impressive things early on. I would say he is the better leader right now. I think he's also playing through an injury.

Intangibles FTW!

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s quicker than he’s ever been. It’s made a big difference in his zone entries.

Hopefully we don’t see him take steps back this offseason again. He looked like a different player at the end of last season too but came back and was a huge disappointment to start this year.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
0+5 in last 8 games but yeah, he made so much happen last night. Looks promising for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad